Thoughts on new iPhones or stick with Android?

DuckDogDr

WKR
Until recently I have had good service out of my android phone (almost 5 years old).
However I have had several frustrations. The most recent is the lack of privacy and all the pop ups and random notifications that are occuring.

I'm in need of a new phone as this one keeps corrupting my photos... I had them saved at the SD card and in one of the updates they were all pushed to the phone..and now they won't transfer back or even open on the phone.

With the claims in photo quality and simplicity I'm strongly considering one of the new iphones (pro max)...

I have a macbook pro ..so somewhat in the ecosystem but not necessarily comitted.
i really want privacy on my phone and the ability to take as close to DSLR quality as possible to my legit camera

Convince me of a phone to buy

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
Never had anything other than Iphone since my Blackberry YEARS ago. My current Iphone 8 is sill going strong but looking to upgrade to an 11 atm...

ODB

WKR
Never had anything other than Iphone since my Blackberry YEARS ago. My current Iphone 8 is sill going strong but looking to upgrade to an 11 atm...

Same here - loved my Blackberries.

my 8 is working fine. Have zero interest in upgrading until this thing dies on its own.

im a full Apple computer house, have three at the moment, including a 16-year old MacBook, so I’d rather keep it in the family.

BBob

WKR
I'm in the Blackberry straight to iPhone camp too. Blackberry's were awesome and I still miss the keyboard and trackball. I have an Android for a work phone and hate it. My brain just isn't compatible with Android like it is with iPhone. Integration and workflow on the iPhone is so much better than the Android.

wyosteve

WKR
Ditto on the iPhone. It's so nice to have iPad, iMac and iPhone linked and similar features on all of them.

I will advice you go for any apple phone regardless of how small it is, Iphone remains the easiest phone to use by far. Of course iPhones can have hardware issues, too, but they're overall higher quality. Some may prefer the choice Android offers, but others appreciate Apple's greater simplicity and higher quality.
I have never understood this. How is Android harder to use? Pretty much all phones are idiot proof these days. If anything iphones are more of a hassle because they purposely make it hard to work with androids.

I recently switched to one from about a 5 year old android. 12 plus. Super easy transition. Spam calls still register but don't ring. Better service with the 5g. Can still use all the android apps I am familiar with, plus now I can face time with my wife and kids...lol. It really was pretty seamless. I have heard of a lot of people having a hard time adjusting, but it was really pretty easy in my case.

Nothing physically wrong with the old phone but after Dec 31, it would no longer be able to access t-mobiles network. Oh, and at least for now the battery life is phenomenal I only charge for a few hours a day and it works all day long and has never been below 70%.

I wouldn't recommend against switching. That said, this thing is huge, might look at one of the smaller sized ones if you want to put it in your pocket (I do have an otterbox on it)

Word on the street is the iphone 13 is going to have the hardware to run off the iridium satellite network and act just like a garmin inreach. It sounds like it won’t have the functionality right away but it could come after the release in a software update.

This is obviously all rumor, but I’m sure it’s coming.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I finally switched from Android (after BB) following many years of refusing to yield to “the man” (Apple for the iPhone). I had Macs and my entire family was on iPhones. I’m now using an 11 Pro Max and I love it. Texting and FaceTime with the family is better, but now we can all track each other. Battery is awesome.

BUT - there are things you may miss.
  1. I am not a fan of the keyboard on the iPhone (there are more instances in which you have to shift or switch to alpha/numerical options). There are many Android keyboard options
  2. I really miss the small flashing light on the Android to let me know there was a missed call, VM, text etc. There are ways to know on the iPhone, but not as good - IMHO.
I’m sure there are other things I’ve forgotten. I’m also thinking about the new 13 Mini. If I could use both on the same number - I would. Sort of like carrying a full size pistol sometimes, and a smaller one other times.

I always had an old phone and switched from an S7 to the IPhone XR about a month ago and wish I would of switched over to IPhone a long long time ago due to how easy it is to use, imessaging, battery life, the fact I don’t have to struggle with getting maps on my phone from the work apple products, and battery life.

Screw that man!!! Stay strong! Android is half the price, easy to operate and everything is directly tied to Google and all my photos are backed up automatically to Google photos. My battery life is great.

Best of all my work won't allow email on a droid so. . . When I'm not at work, I'm good unless it's important enough for a phone call!

Venom One

WKR
If you have Apple "stuff" it makes sense to get an Iphone, but Apple doesn't play well with others. I've had great luck with Samsung S-series Androids, but my next phone will be a Pixel. The camera is great, you avoid the bloatware and get the latest SW updates.

Apple is over-priced, over-hyped and snooty IMO. I'll consider an Apple device when they stop making all of their crap proprietary....and when they price their stuff competitively.

Brendan

WKR
Word on the street is the iphone 13 is going to have the hardware to run off the iridium satellite network and act just like a garmin inreach. It sounds like it won’t have the functionality right away but it could come after the release in a software update.

This is obviously all rumor, but I’m sure it’s coming.

Phone is already out, rumor was bogus. It doesn't have satellite capability.

Brendan

WKR
Coming from someone that uses both daily. I have a Pixel 3 for personal, still an iPhone 8 plus for work.

Google Pixel series is by far the best Android option in my book because you get the real android without the extra Samsung BS bloatware or other UI built on top of Android. The new Pixel is also cutting edge and comparable to the new iPhone when it comes to camera and hardware. Potentially better.

The iPhone will be easier to use if you're an iOS person now. The Pixel / Android will be easier to use if you're an Android person now. Apple used to be a lot further ahead when it comes to ease of use and "polish", but that gap is much closer now if not gone.

Android is infinitely more customizable.

Some Apps are marginally better on iOS (Gaia iOS is a little ahead of Gaia ANdroid, for example)

iOS has some awesome integration between iPhones, MacBooks, and APpleTV that Android hasn't matched yet.

Google Photos and the Android Integration Rocks. Couple that with backing up my MacBook to Google I literally have everything backed up and accessible through my phone (Pictures, files, etc.)

The one thing about Google - THey're much worse when it comes to Privacy than Apple. They literally use your data for everything. The shit they know about you is staggering.

I'm buying the new Pixel 6 Pro as soon as it comes out. New Android 12 redesign, Brand new Cutting Edge hardware and camera, Google is the leader when it comes to AI and its integration into Android, text to speech and photos, and I don't get worked up about the Google Data usage.

(I do tech advisory work for a living, so yes, I'm a dork about this stuff.....)

YMMV

Last edited:

Crghss

Lil-Rokslider
I’m bias as I’m in the Apple eco system. If you have apple products (iPad, MacBook) then you want to be in the Apple eco system, iphone. If you use Windows computers then doesn’t really matter.

From a privacy & security point l think Apple is better.

You can customize Android more then iPhone.

Wetwork

Lil-Rokslider
Well time will tell, but I'm digging my GF's Samsung Flip3 5g. I hate how big my S21 is. I don't like bulk and her little flip fits in all front pockets (shirts or pants) just great. I can't see much of a difference in screen size once she opens it clear up. She loves it. If it handles our outdoor/ranching lifestyle I'm going to get one. So far it does everything the big phones can do. Sorry, never cared for Apple. It's just a Remington vs. Winchester, Chevy vs. Ford thing I guess. Android has alsways been just fine for me.-WW

My last 3 phones have been iPhones, my current is the 12 plus, and I think it sucks. It’s only a few months old, won’t charge with a regular charger (have to use the kind you set your phone on) and the back is all spiderwebbed… it’s not a very good outdoor use phone, and it’s more glitchy… my xr was better, but the Galaxy phones I had were more reliable and tougher.

my new iPhone is also huge… it’s probably 5 months old and I have to replace it already. I think iPhone are the Mathews of cell phones