Thoughts on new iPhones or stick with Android?

GrayGoose

Lil-Rokslider
@roosiebull Don't have an iPhone and not sure why you cant charge it with a cord. Something you could try is taking a needle to dig around where you plug the cord in. You may be surprised how much pocket lint is in there.

As for phones, I use Samsung. A few months ago my phone sat on the bottom of a lake for roughly 20 minutes and still works. I dont see myself switching anytime soon.

MattB

WKR
I traded my Samsung (Android) for an Apple iPhone 11 and really hate it. It is a new phone and is way worse as a phone than my 5 year old Samsung was.

I'm in the minority had apple then switched to android no regrets. Battery life seems to be better and easier to use

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Greg Beck

WKR
I've used both. All my Samsungs except the S4 mini have given me fits!! S7 was junk, Note 10 was the worst!! Crazy thing would randomly open apps, freeze up, couldn't scroll, you name it! IPhone 6, 8 and now an 11 all have performed better than Samsung. I don't mind Android, I'm just staying away from Samsung. I do prefer the IPhone though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

@roosiebull Don't have an iPhone and not sure why you cant charge it with a cord. Something you could try is taking a needle to dig around where you plug the cord in. You may be surprised how much pocket lint is in there.

As for phones, I use Samsung. A few months ago my phone sat on the bottom of a lake for roughly 20 minutes and still works. I dont see myself switching anytime soon.
yes sir, i tried that right off the bat, because that's happened before, pine needles.... i think it's been just moisture from sweat being in my pocket hunting, for a prolonged time lately. there were a few days it wouldn't charge because moisture detected.... dry it out and it was fine.... until it wasn't a few days ago. never had that issue prior to this phone, and they all get the same treatment

tdot

WKR
I made the switch from iPhone to Samsung Note 4 and have stayed with Android ever since. Currently using a S20 plus. My wife and also my business partner stayed with Iphone through that same time period. They had far more hardware and software conplaints/issues during that time period then I've had. I have zero desire to switch back to iphone, except for the camera, the iphone 12's camera is exceptional... I still wont switch for it, but some photos make me think about it.

Brendan

WKR
I have zero desire to switch back to iphone, except for the camera, the iphone 12's camera is exceptional... I still wont switch for it, but some photos make me think about it.

Check out the new Google Pixel 6 Pro when it comes out next month. May very well beat the iPhone 13 in this regard.

Jordan Budd

Super Moderator
Staff member
The iPhone pro photos are so damn good. I have the 12 pro and it’s honestly amazing when comparing to an older 11. With the comparability with your MacBook I think it’s a no brainer. I just got an Apple TV because of the compatibility with all of our Apple products, makes all of the difference

As an added bonus apple is going to start going through all or our pictures looking for CP
Pretty sure Apple is the only one that DOESN'T do this at the moment. And I think they ended up delaying it. Also, the way in which they were going to do it was different than the others, by not actually looking at the photos but using some algorithms.

Marble

WKR
I have never understood this. How is Android harder to use? Pretty much all phones are idiot proof these days. If anything iphones are more of a hassle because they purposely make it hard to work with androids.
My wife and I feel the same.

I use a galaxy G20. I have zero complaints. It's simple, works/navigates like my desk top, battery lasts two days generally.

I suspect the OP is having issues with his phone because of its age and not its brand or operating system.

The OP won't go wrong with whatever he chooses, but ill stick with my Galaxy. We Hve always loved ours.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Rich M

WKR
can’t say I’m overly impressed. The Android had better apps that I used. The alarms are louder and better for deaf users. The traffic report map was 10x better. Reception isn’t any better. Tracking is eh. It doesn’t totally suck but it isn’t head and shoulders above either.

not thrilled w my iPhone 12 max. We’ll see how long it lasts.

had a g7 that was good til it was paid off then the engineered failure happened. Other androids I had were good.

Speaking of privacy, since google is the search engine for Safari, what makes an iphone better than an android in this respect? Aren't they getting all your info anyway?

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Speaking of privacy, since google is the search engine for Safari, what makes an iphone better than an android in this respect? Aren't they getting all your info anyway?
Yes and no. You should be able to change the search engine. Two good things I’ve noticed with iPhone is the permissions I set for apps actually stay and don’t reset themselves, while google is getting my info I don’t have nearly the shared info across apps example being if I google toasters it doesn’t show up in my Facebook feed. Biggest security benefit is that if apple has an update every phone gets it, with android your at the mercy of the phone manufacturer or carrier. So buying a $300 throwaway android is likely to never see a security update let alone a software update.

schmalzy

WKR
I have the 13 pro. Feels substantially heavier than the 11 pro. Camera is pretty solid. I got it “free” through Verizon when I traded in my old phone. Don’t think I’d spend the money on it if I had something that already worked.

OP
D

DuckDogDr

WKR
Well after much debate and multiple hacks these past 2 weeks..apparently samsung is no longer performing security updates on antique (4 year old phones)
I bit the bullet and went iPhone 13 pro max.

All my hunting buddies use and all my co-workers swear by them....straw that broke the camel's back was my professional camera buddy is going to apple ecosystem as well..he was a previous Android user and swapping over.

Paid the deposit and now waiting on delivery

wapitibob

WKR
You'll be fine. I have a 10R that's in my pocket every day. I sit on it, drop, use it for my hunting gps, it just works.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I got a 13 after having an 8 for years and it wasn’t a huge upgrade but I like it. I started with the regular 13 and it was just too big. Traded it for a mini and now it’s great. I think apple is essential if your in their ecosystem, otherwise I doubt it matters.