Thoughts on Sitka Kelvin Down?

HuntNTag

WKR
I typically use my super down pro from Kuiu. Saw this Kelvin down on camofire today.

Here is the link. Sitka Kelvin Down Anyone use this and have any use advice on how well it does in the cold and wind for sitting and glassing?

Thanks!

Seeknelk

WKR
I have one and it's flat out amazing. It has windstopper. It's not the lightest but it's like you leave the environment when you throw it on. And it's a bit tougher shell than many puffies. That's a crazy good price. I should get another!

Wapiti151

WKR
Assuming you’re talking the WS? Search for it in the treads, there has been lots of conversations about it.

For me, it’s my bombproof jacket that goes with me when sh*t is supposed to get bad. It has windstopper built in so you don’t need to worry about that, and It’s a sleeping bag with arms. You will be warm, that’s for sure. I think the Chamberlain from FL is the only one out there that compares as far as fill and warmth, and it’s supposedly a bit warmer…I don’t know. I wouldn’t trade mine for anything. Anything below about freezing, it comes…anything above, I take the kelvin lite down over the Jetstream. If you get one, it’s expedition fit so it runs BIG. I’m 6’4, 210 and got an XL, it swallowed me so ended up exchanging for a L. It’s perfect over all my layers

sneaky

"DADDY"
I didn't see any Kelvin Down jackets on Camofire when I opened up the app. Was it the Kelvin Down, or Kelvin Down WS? Big difference between those two jackets.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Found it through that link, on the app it doesn't even show up as an option. Interesting. Wondering how many things don't show up on the app in general. That's the WS version, and yes, they run big to fit over your other layers. I'm 6'3 200 and a large is big enough, XL has a ton of room.

• Banned
OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
got it! Yes it was the WS. I noticed the sizing seemed a little larger. I’m around 5”10-180lb and typically wear a L in Kuiu or Sitka but I was tossing up the idea if a medium would suffice? or sizing up to the Large since it was made for layering over more layers. From what your saying, it sounds like it’s quite big.

Seeknelk

WKR
As far as sizing , yeah, it's pretty large but that's what it's made for...throwing over all your other layers and just sitting there. I sure won't be walking much with it on so I don't like a snug puffy. And I didn't want to have to take any layers off to wear it so I love it nice and roomy. I sure wouldn't try squeezing it under a softshell or anything like that.

I bought one during the Camofire sale and it showed up today. The jury is still out on actual field performance but I'm kinda surprised by the lack of loft, it's about 1/2 the loft of my Chamberlin. Time will tell if I'm happy with it, but if it doesn't live up to expectations at least I didn't pay $400 retail for it.

sneaky

"DADDY"
It should loft up pretty good after it's been out of its shipping bag. They're pretty puffy once they've had a chance to expand.

OP
HuntNTag

HuntNTag

WKR
I did the same. Still waiting to arrive. I don’t expect it to be as puffy as my Kuiu super down pro but I am expecting it to hold heat better seeing that it is heavier and it has wind stopper. Hell, it better for it weighing 3 times the amount.

I agree though that for the price, it was worth the purchase to try and enough folks have said good things about them that I’m going into believing it should be a solid product

2531usmc

WKR
When people talk about the Kelvin WS, they are overwhelmingly positive. Possibly this seems to be the favorite Sitka insulated jacket on the forum.

But looking at the Sitka web site, they are discounting the price and only offering it in XXL. Would seem as if they are closing it out. I wonder if they are replacing it with a synthetic version.