Thoughts on the new Bronco?

elkyinzer

WKR
Thrilled that anyone put a manual in a new SUV. The "creeper" gear being below reverse seems a little weird but I guess they don't want anyone throwing it into a 6:1 gear at high speed.

Looks a little weird but not too awful I guess. Haven't studied the specs yet. Just bought a Taco I'll run into the ground so no interest for a long time.

tdhanses

WKR
Maybe my view is jaded as a 75 Bronco owner and 90 Wrangler owner but am am about as disappointed as I was with the JK/JL wranglers. What made Jeeps and Broncos fun back in the day is they didn't come with a lot options and they were cheap/would go anywhere due to short wheelbase and anybody could work on them..I dont see the new Jeeps or Broncos fitting that bill...60k for a V6? Plus all that fancy tech doesnt help it all you dont know how to keep it running on the trail.

If you like it get one...I would rather add an extra 10k to the sticker price and get a real nice 7.3 F250...YMMV

You know the base model without all the options is $29k right?

Thrilled that anyone put a manual in a new SUV. The "creeper" gear being below reverse seems a little weird but I guess they don't want anyone throwing it into a 6:1 gear at high speed.

Looks a little weird but not too awful I guess. Haven't studied the specs yet. Just bought a Taco I'll run into the ground so no interest for a long time.
This creeper tech interets me the most. Sorta a throw back...in late 60s you could get handle throttle as factory option from the factory.

TomJoad

WKR
Respectable job from Ford on this one. I won't be trading my FJ60 but it's a nice nod to heritage with a legitimate focus on off-road prowess. Like it or not they did a good enough job to get us talking: thread as evidence

tdhanses

WKR
Yep...with the monster 2.3 power plant under the hood..I wanna see that 4 cylinder turn 35s off road not on the st.
Probably has more hp and torque then the engines in the 60’s model. I’m just saying, it’s only 60k if you want all the options but you said you didn’t. I’m pretty sure the 2.3 will do fine in the crawler gear.

In a few years we’ll be looking for a new vehicle. Toyota 4Runner has been at the top of the list, but I’ll be watching the Bronco closely. Towing capacity is disappointing, only 3500, but I do have a pickup

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I'd be interested if I needed a new trailhead ride, and i suspect it will give Jeep some real competition. I just bought an older Lexus GX470 with an OME lift, and I am set for a bit. I'm super impressed with the GX on and off road.

Probably has more hp and torque then the engines in the 60’s model. I’m just saying, it’s only 60k if you want all the options but you said you didn’t. I’m pretty sure the 2.3 will do fine in the crawler gear.
The base model will crawl fine across the mall parking lot on the 30s it comes with although with only 8" of ground clearance better hope curbs were installed to spec....I didn't consider the base model because I dont think it will get out of it's own way off road. I don't want all the fancy electronic BS, should have been more clear on "options". Buddy has a company issued explorer with the 2.3...that thing is dog. I figure the curb weight will be close to Explorer still TBD for the Bronco on Ford site.

The base model reminds me if the 4cyl jeeps...Just because it's more affordable doesnt make it a good idea.

60k for 1st edition Bronco with V6 or 68k for King Ranch F250 with 7.3 and the tremor package...dont have to think about that a lot..

Last edited:

tdhanses

WKR
The base model will crawl fine across the mall parking lot on the 30s it comes with although with only 8" of ground clearance better hope curbs were installed to spec....I didn't consider the base model because I dont think it will get out of it's own way off road. I don't want all the fancy electronic BS, should have been more clear on "options". Buddy has a company issued explorer with the 2.3...that thing is dog. I figure the curb weight will be close to Explorer still TBD for the Bronco on Ford site.

The base model reminds me if the 4cyl jeeps...Just because it's more affordable doesnt make it a good idea.

60k for 1st edition Bronco with V6 or 68k for King Ranch F250 with 7.3 and the tremor package...dont have to think about that a lot..

Yeah but just like a stock Jeep, you’ll add what you want to make it work/improve it unless you only go stock. I have a 2019 F250 and no way I’d get rid of it for a bronco but they aren’t even in the same ballpark for why you’d get one or the other unless to just get groceries (bronco towing capacity is about equal to my payload), a base bronco could be made to be a great off road vehicle and still drive fine on the highway, it’ll not be a speed demon but it’ll get the job done. To me it is a toy similar to a Jeep and the base model doesn’t cost much more then a 4 seater utv 😂. Also all the old vehicles people prefer for off-road came with less clearance probably from the factory.

No way I’d take my F250 off road on any kind of Jeep trail, way too heavy, long, wide and tall.

Last edited:

Poser

WKR
The Ford dealer here in Durango pre sold 22 of these yesterday. That’s more than 1 for every 1000 people.

Oscarhunt

FNG
The 2.3L isn't bad in the Ranger and the Bronco weighs almost exactly the same. Dealer gouging will be enough to keep me away though.

Looks awesome. I had an 87 bronco ii in college and loved it. Very capable getting to our cabin off road. Now, I need something that can pull my UTV. Deal breaker with 3500 tow capacity of these and wranglers. Too bad we just got my wife an explorer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk