Thoughts on the new Savage Impulse

Titan_Bow

WKR
As a lefty, and as a blue collar connoisseur of Savage rifles, this new rifle is intriguing to me. Aside from a lightweight Hunter that I eventually got shooting lights out by going to a B&C stock, every Savage I’ve owned or my brother has owned has been incredibly accurate right out of the gate.
Anyone seen one of these yet? Initial impressions? I’m going to gift myself a new rifle in the coming off season and thinking hard about one of these, or an Ultralight, or possibly a Sig Cross. I like the idea though of the inline bolt and easy switch to left hand bolt handle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishdart

Lil-Rokslider
I handled one at the gun shop. It's too heavy for me at almost 9 lbs bare and seemed front-heavy to boot.

260madman

WKR
Beretta BRX1 straight pull is a hair over 7#.

Barrel and stock on the impulse are different from the 10/110 series. I don’t think you’ll see much aftermarket support.

Closed top receiver like the Axis, expense, unfamiliarity/lack of support & parts and most of all weight makes it a no-go for me. I just don't see a significant advantage over a current 110 model conventional bolt action. If I need more speed, I'll grab a lever or semi-auto.

I like that Savage is thinking outside the box, but this is a solution in search of a problem IMO

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Thanks for the replies. I didn’t realize it was that heavy, definitely puts it out of my realm of consideration!

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
Which B&C stock did you use on the LWH?

I went with their Sporter style for short action detachable mag. If you go that route and you have the Tupperware stock, realize you’ll need bottom metal, as it’s built into the OEM plastic stock. I was able to order nice stainless bottom metal directly from Savage. I like the stock though, it’s got a good solid aluminum bedding block, and it just feels nice. It really makes that little rifle feel like a much higher end rifle. But more importantly, it shoots lights out now!

I went with their Sporter style for short action detachable mag. If you go that route and you have the Tupperware stock, realize you’ll need bottom metal, as it’s built into the OEM plastic stock. I was able to order nice stainless bottom metal directly from Savage. I like the stock though, it’s got a good solid aluminum bedding block, and it just feels nice. It really makes that little rifle feel like a much higher end rifle. But more importantly, it shoots lights out now!

I am a little confused. I have a stainless LWH with detachable mag. If I order the B&C for a Savage with a detachable mag, why do I need bottom metal?

OP
Titan_Bow

Titan_Bow

WKR
I am a little confused. I have a stainless LWH with detachable mag. If I order the B&C for a Savage with a detachable mag, why do I need bottom metal?

There may be multiple variants and versions out there. but my LWH came with the cheap tupperware stock. The "bottom metal" was actually molded into the stock. The B&C stock comes without that bottom metal at all. I think if your LWH was in a wood stock for example, then you would simply swap the metal from your wood stock to the B&C. Not sure if other stock variations worked that way or not.

Here is a pic of the B&C stock when I purchased it, and then I realized I needed bottom metal...
without metal.jpg

And then here it is after calling Savage and ordering stainless bottom metal, and a stainless metal trigger guard.
With metal.jpg

bobinmi

WKR
Closed top receiver like the Axis, expense, unfamiliarity/lack of support & parts and most of all weight makes it a no-go for me. I just don't see a significant advantage over a current 110 model conventional bolt action. If I need more speed, I'll grab a lever or semi-auto.

I like that Savage is thinking outside the box, but this is a solution in search of a problem IMO
It will take the prefit barrels. You just have to swap the extension as well. Hopefully they offer those separately if this action takes off.

Yea I know, bringing up an old thread.

Any more experience from anyone with this rifle? I would really like to make it work for whitetail rifle when still hunting/tracking. Looking at lightening it up with a thinner barrel profile or carbon wrapped. Try to find an aftermarket stock that is lighter. If it would not make the action unsafe, milling off the rail and drill/tap for base and rings.

Yea I know, bringing up an old thread.

Any more experience from anyone with this rifle? I would really like to make it work for whitetail rifle when still hunting/tracking. Looking at lightening it up with a thinner barrel profile or carbon wrapped. Try to find an aftermarket stock that is lighter. If it would not make the action unsafe, milling off the rail and drill/tap for base and rings.
Just out of curiosity, what intrigues you about this rifle? It’s not even marginally interesting to me, and I’m having a hard time wrapping my head around it, then dumping more money into it on a barrel and stock that might not even exist… what about it interests you?

Right now the straight pull action. I can not justify a European rifle with that action. I am hunting more and more in thicker cover still hunting and tracking whitetails in WI. The faster follow up shot is welcome on running deer.

z987k

WKR
Right now the straight pull action. I can not justify a European rifle with that action. I am hunting more and more in thicker cover still hunting and tracking whitetails in WI. The faster follow up shot is welcome on running deer.
My issue is a semi-auto is lighter. Thing is a boat anchor.

In a .308? an AR10 ranges from just over 7 to 10-14 lbs, depending on how it is set up and mag capacity. The Impulse Hog hunter is 8.43 lbs, on Savages website. I would say they are about equal in weight. Not to mention they cost less in todays market.

I would go with a Browning bar safari grade if quick follow up shots were high priority (though working a bolt is pretty dang fast with some practice)

I’m just not seeing a benefit, real or perceived for a straight pull action, but different strokes is what makes the world go ‘round

260madman

WKR
I’d go Beretta before the Salvage. It has an AR style bolt for lock up. No collets or ball bearings. A bit over 7 pounds. adjustable trigger from 2 pounds to 3.5 pounds.

https://www.beretta.com/en/brx1/

I’d go Beretta before the Salvage. It has an AR style bolt for lock up. No collets or ball bearings. A bit over 7 pounds. adjustable trigger from 2 pounds to 3.5 pounds.

https://www.beretta.com/en/brx1/
Just went and looked at the Beretta rifle. It is an interesting rifle that is following the looks and function of Blaser. The first thing that I noticed was that they have the scope mount on the barrel. Why? If you are making a switch caliber rifle, why force the user to have multiple scopes for each barrel? If it was mounted to the action you can have one scope and correct it for each caliber. I am not going to go spend what the rifle costs or more on glass for multiple barrels, or have to re-mount and zero after each change. If staying with just one cartridge this is completely a moot point.