Thoughts on the new Savage Impulse

260madman

WKR
You mean like Blaser? Theirs is a QD.
It’s a pic rail. Use pic rings and remount scope. Verify zero. Record zero and adjust accordingly when switching barrels. You‘ll verify zero when swapping the barrel on the savage anyway, correct?

So curiosity got me with this one and I bought an Impulse a few months ago. A few notes right from the start:

1. The action is fast. Really fast.
2. Accuracy out of the box was good, as I would expect from a Savage
3. It weighs about as much as a small battleship

As luck would have it they released the lightweight version with a carbon fiber barrel about two weeks after I bought mine. After some research I've determined that the Impulse barrels are the same thread, nut and lug as any other Savage so the pre fits will work. The difference is that the Impulse barrel is threaded onto a steel extension much like an AR which is then clamped into the aluminum receiver, whereas other models the barrel is threaded directly onto the steel receiver.

So, armed with this information my intention is to re barrel mine with a carbon fiber pre fit barrel. Has anyone on here already done this? If so, did it require any specialized tools or just the normal barrel vice, wrench, and headspace gauges?

z987k

WKR
So curiosity got me with this one and I bought an Impulse a few months ago. A few notes right from the start:

1. The action is fast. Really fast.
2. Accuracy out of the box was good, as I would expect from a Savage
3. It weighs about as much as a small battleship

As luck would have it they released the lightweight version with a carbon fiber barrel about two weeks after I bought mine. After some research I've determined that the Impulse barrels are the same thread, nut and lug as any other Savage so the pre fits will work. The difference is that the Impulse barrel is threaded onto a steel extension much like an AR which is then clamped into the aluminum receiver, whereas other models the barrel is threaded directly onto the steel receiver.

So, armed with this information my intention is to re barrel mine with a carbon fiber pre fit barrel. Has anyone on here already done this? If so, did it require any specialized tools or just the normal barrel vice, wrench, and headspace gauges?
Is the barrel on it really thick? Carbon barrels are not lighter than thin steel barrels. Or is the weight in the action/stock?

Is the barrel on it really thick? Carbon barrels are not lighter than thin steel barrels. Or is the weight in the action/stock?
The factory barrel is a heavy varmint/target contour steel. If it was a traditional Sporter contour it probably wouldn't be an issue

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Just went and looked at the Beretta rifle. It is an interesting rifle that is following the looks and function of Blaser. The first thing that I noticed was that they have the scope mount on the barrel. Why? If you are making a switch caliber rifle, why force the user to have multiple scopes for each barrel? If it was mounted to the action you can have one scope and correct it for each caliber. I am not going to go spend what the rifle costs or more on glass for multiple barrels, or have to re-mount and zero after each change. If staying with just one cartridge this is completely a moot point.
If the scope is attached to the receiver, you will lose zero when taking the barrel off. Scope mount is on the barrel to maintain zero for that barrel. It’s a pic rail, so you can just move the scope to another barrel if you want.

Also the whole action moves when cycled, so mounting a scope to that would mean you’d get hit in the face with the scope when you ran the action.

Mojave

WKR
Owned about 15 Blasers and an Impulse.

Impulse is a nice rifle. This is coming from a Blaser owner of many years.

I had some issues with mine, Savage fixed it and everything was perfect. They had some machine issues with the original bolts. Where they didn't come into full battery. And would not fire.

If the scope is attached to the receiver, you will lose zero when taking the barrel off. Scope mount is on the barrel to maintain zero for that barrel. It’s a pic rail, so you can just move the scope to another barrel if you want.

Also the whole action moves when cycled, so mounting a scope to that would mean you’d get hit in the face with the scope when you ran the action.
What rifle are you talking about? That is not how the Impulse is set up.