Thoughts on the NRA

EastMT

WKR
300,000 is like $1000 per day for 5 days of travel for a year. If you want to do all the good you say you want to do, time to cut the pork.

When they start running lean and mean, cut the fat, change the old boys club, I’ll be back in. I refuse to enrich guys that say they are there to support the little guys rights, while living like kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR
I've not liked the NRA org for a long damn time, more so when I found out how the NRA and Makris just passed money between themselves, more yet when that money laundering went wider...

but... let me make you understand that the big push against the NRA by the now-ennobled media is part of a bolstering of Biden's promise to hammer them...to the detriment of gun owners (and not just AR-types) in America... not a conspiracy - a fact. One only needs to think beyond a third-grade level to see what is coming...

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
300,000 is like $1000 per day for 5 days of travel for a year. If you want to do all the good you say you want to do, time to cut the pork.

When they start running lean and mean, cut the fat, change the old boys club, I’ll be back in. I refuse to enrich guys that say they are there to support the little guys rights, while living like kings.

Totally agree, and I didn't mean to suggest that the NRA has done what it should. If I wasn't already a life member, I would probably consider dropping out for some time. I haven't given any "extra" in a long time. I'm not saying I won't reconsider that (especially for the reasons @ODB mentions), but it would be much easier for me to decide to give more if they did start with a blank slate.

The $300k is not even for a single year - it was over a period of years. The return has no meaningful discussion of the HUGE direct and indirect compensation, other than to say it is the subject of a few ongoing lawsuits. IMHO they appear to be throwing the former execs under the bus.

mtnkid85

WKR
Im glad this was posted. We need to talk about it. These groups and the politicians they support need to understand that we (the members of the groups) support our Second amendment rights but not at the expense of our public lands and environment! This is not a one or the other decision.

OXN939

WKR
If anyone thinks the NRA is anything other than a money laundering front to provide lavish lifestyles and exorbitant paychecks for its corrupt and greedy senior leadership, PM me. I've got some beautiful beach front property to sell you in the Sahara.

MattB

WKR
As much as I believe the NRA has lost it's way, it is still the most powerful force for protecting 2A rights. There is a reason it draws such ire from liberal lawmakers.

My personal opinion is it would be foolish to back away now given the degree of Biden's anti-gun agenda. If folks haven't read it, you should. He is proposing far reaching restriction, including making the mail order of guns, gun parts, and even ammo illegal.

EastMT

WKR
As much as I believe the NRA has lost it's way, it is still the most powerful force for protecting 2A rights. There is a reason it draws such ire from liberal lawmakers.

My personal opinion is it would be foolish to back away now given the degree of Biden's anti-gun agenda. If folks haven't read it, you should. He is proposing far reaching restriction, including making the mail order of guns, gun parts, and even ammo illegal.

They’ve been saying this since 2008 when Obama was gonna grab em all. He tried zero guns laws when he had both congresses, and then EO’d rescinding of Reagan’s law against guns in national parks and allowing guns in checked baggage on Amtrak. They raked in the money, all the did was strut around the Marriot and tell everyone the sky was falling for 8 years.

I’m wore out from apocalypse’s, we’ve had “the end of America” every 4 years since 1996.......

Support Gun Owners of America. We also shouldn't be only trying to prevent new gun laws on the books but should be trying to overturn some we already have. Until the 1934 firearms act is repealed, our God-given right to bear arms is being hindered.

MattB

WKR
They’ve been saying this since 2008 when Obama was gonna grab em all. He tried zero guns laws when he had both congresses, and then EO’d rescinding of Reagan’s law against guns in national parks and allowing guns in checked baggage on Amtrak. They raked in the money, all the did was strut around the Marriot and tell everyone the sky was falling for 8 years.

I’m wore out from apocalypse’s, we’ve had “the end of America” every 4 years since 1996.......
Obama wasn't running on an anti-gun platform and the politics at the time in part limited what he was willing or able to do. Depending on what happens in GA, there may be a very different political landscape than during Obama's tenure. Simply looking back at what was passed under Obama (not what legislation was put to vote) IMO is a very naive lense to apply to the current situation. And the difference between what was proposed and what passed under Obama was no doubt influenced by the NRA.

EastMT

WKR
Obama wasn't running on an anti-gun platform and the politics at the time in part limited what he was willing or able to do. Depending on what happens in GA, there may be a very different political landscape than during Obama's tenure. Simply looking back at what was passed under Obama (not what legislation was put to vote) IMO is a very naive lense to apply to the current situation. And the difference between what was proposed and what passed under Obama was no doubt influenced by the NRA.

I’m naive on nothing. Obama made zero proposals his first term. Zero votes, zero proposals, nothing. Now I think he wanted to, but knew what happened last time a gun law was passed. He had both congresses his first 2 years, anything he wanted was his.

Both sides using fear to create fundraising is despicable, I don’t care the platform they are supporting. Just because something I believe in has an org, I’m not blindly throwing money to pay for $1000 a night motels.

EastMT

WKR

I’m naive on nothing. Obama made zero proposals his first term. Zero votes, zero proposals, nothing. Now I think he wanted to, but knew what happened last time a gun law was passed. He had both congresses his first 2 years, anything he wanted was his.

Both sides using fear to create fundraising is despicable, I don’t care the platform they are supporting. Just because something I believe in has an org, I’m not blindly throwing money to pay for $1000 a night motels.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Support Gun Owners of America. We also shouldn't be only trying to prevent new gun laws on the books but should be trying to overturn some we already have. Until the 1934 firearms act is repealed, our God-given right to bear arms is being hindered.
I just joined and gave a little extra. It’s amazing to compare their annual receipts (and salaries) vs the NRA’s.

I hope that I've been Chicken Little on the ammo situation and availability and prices will soon return to "normal". I would also rather in hindsight to have supported an imperfect organization (note - I'm not giving more to the NRA, at least at the moment) than after the fact wonder if I could have done more. I still remember the Federal Assault Weapons Ban from '94 under Clinton, and while I would like to think that (or something parallel or worse) could not get passed again, I'm not willing to bet on it.

Squincher

WKR

I'd bet Obama had something in mind until Operation Gunrunner blew up in his face.

Coldtrail

WKR
What do you suppose the estimate is on the number of sportsman and women that own a .22, an 870 & a 30.06 and are die hard hunters that run away from the NRA because they don't care about bump stocks, extended mags and black rifles? That group is prob not paying money to anyone right now.

I am a strong supporter of gun ownership & my rights in general as are many of my friends and family, BUT....when I go to a public range with family to put a few rounds on paper to check my scope & the dude next to me is dumping 30rnds at a crack because he likes the noise & slapping high 5s with his buddy after I'm not giving them the nod and thumbs up like "nice work brother", same with people walking main street in my community with fatigues and ARs to challenge open carry, I'm not impressed or waving like we're all one giant brotherhood....in fact I'm thinking "who the hell are these tools?!" They are not helping the cause one bit. Don't even get me started on the ammo shortage. Like it or not there are a pile of idiots out there that like guns too and have truck windows full of NRA stickers and "cold dead hands" references. They don't represent me.

I stopped giving NRA money years ago, when they started supporting the idiots more than the sportsman. Times need to change to represent the average hunter and rally that population to put it's money someplace and the NRA is not it.

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
I stopped giving NRA money years ago, when they started supporting the idiots more than the sportsman. Times need to change to represent the average hunter and rally that population to put it's money someplace and the NRA is not it.
I hear and agree with you and I'm open to suggestions on what to do (in addition to contacting our legislators) and what to support. I don't care about bump stocks either, but I like my black rifles, 30 round mags and concealed carry, but I also don't flaunt those for a variety of reasons, including so I don't look like a tool. Personally I would want to make sure that the organization(s) I support don't cave in to the argument that the 2A is *just* for hunting and other sporting purposes. (I'm not suggesting that's what you're saying. And if you do have that viewpoint - no worries as we are still closer in view than those who would oppose us.)

Coldtrail

WKR
I support all shooting sports, and don't think "hunting" is the only 2A use for arms, so we are on the same page there. There is a trend going on of urban people getting into the hunt for food movement, those people will support the need to maintain possession of their "sporting" firearms.....but run far away from NRA.

Those are the types to join the movement also.

Squincher

WKR
What do you suppose the estimate is on the number of sportsman and women that own a .22, an 870 & a 30.06 and are die hard hunters that run away from the NRA because they don't care about bump stocks, extended mags and black rifles? That group is prob not paying money to anyone right now.

I am a strong supporter of gun ownership & my rights in general as are many of my friends and family, BUT....when I go to a public range with family to put a few rounds on paper to check my scope & the dude next to me is dumping 30rnds at a crack because he likes the noise & slapping high 5s with his buddy after I'm not giving them the nod and thumbs up like "nice work brother", same with people walking main street in my community with fatigues and ARs to challenge open carry, I'm not impressed or waving like we're all one giant brotherhood....in fact I'm thinking "who the hell are these tools?!" They are not helping the cause one bit. Don't even get me started on the ammo shortage. Like it or not there are a pile of idiots out there that like guns too and have truck windows full of NRA stickers and "cold dead hands" references. They don't represent me.

Since when does does the 2nd amendment have anything to do with hunting?

Except for the fact that they helped to negotiate away bump stocks, every deal is an infringement of our rights. I don't care if you think any gun part is a gimmick or stupid or unnecessary, losing it is losing your freedom. It's only a matter of time before they nra gives in on other issues. Support organizations like the FPC, day in and out they prove that they are fighting for out rights.