Thoughts on the NRA

The Greatest Spectacle in Motorcar Racing
What do you suppose the estimate is on the number of sportsman and women that own a .22, an 870 & a 30.06 and are die hard hunters that run away from the NRA because they don't care about bump stocks, extended mags and black rifles? That group is prob not paying money to anyone right now.

I am a strong supporter of gun ownership & my rights in general as are many of my friends and family, BUT....when I go to a public range with family to put a few rounds on paper to check my scope & the dude next to me is dumping 30rnds at a crack because he likes the noise & slapping high 5s with his buddy after I'm not giving them the nod and thumbs up like "nice work brother", same with people walking main street in my community with fatigues and ARs to challenge open carry, I'm not impressed or waving like we're all one giant brotherhood....in fact I'm thinking "who the hell are these tools?!" They are not helping the cause one bit. Don't even get me started on the ammo shortage. Like it or not there are a pile of idiots out there that like guns too and have truck windows full of NRA stickers and "cold dead hands" references. They don't represent me.

I stopped giving NRA money years ago, when they started supporting the idiots more than the sportsman. Times need to change to represent the average hunter and rally that population to put it's money someplace and the NRA is not it.

So you’re saying that your rights trump those “tools” rights?

IMO Gun ownership IS a brotherhood.

United we stand, divided we fall.

lak2004

WKR
That's what I mean though, there's a lot that we can do before it ever gets to that point. This is why supporting an organization like the goa or fpc is important.
I'm unfamiliar with Goa or fpc, I'll look into them. I completely agree that folks should support organizations that support our rights. Like others have said, nra has lost its way, though they did years of good. Same for organizations like ducks unlimited.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
Classified Approved
Just joined FPC. BTW, they are running a "Black Friday" discount for doing so - although you are of course free to contribute more.

Squincher

WKR
You make it sound back and white. I guess I'm just trying to point out all the gray. There's a lot more that goes into my thought process of defending my amendment rights than someone showing up to take a black rifle from me.

Life is black and white for the righteous; gray areas are the domain of cowards and liars.

Coldtrail

WKR
Kimber7man said:
"So you’re saying that your rights trump those “tools” rights?

Politically? Yep.......when the fight comes to protect gun rights, who do YOU want to be the poster child for the nation to see? The black rifle wannabe militia types, or a family out on a small game hunt? My original post essentially says that there is a huge divide between those two groups right now, the wise course would be to get them together for the common good. Ain't likely to happen because many hunters could care less about high capacity mags and getting background checks, etc . If the other side is banking on the "well armed militia" wording to keep guns around, I support the concept but it is not going to make the case these days. Too many stats of tragedy from firearms that were "legally" obtained and owned but used for bad deeds. In the eyes of gun control advocates nothing else matters to them because in their eyes it's only the suppressor, high capacity magazine, anti background check crowd rattling the cage and marching or getting the attention so that's our stereotype.

Like it or not, though not the intent of the 2nd amendment, a smiling 10yo kid wearing an orange hat and vest holding a .22 cricket and a dead rabbit will do more for the future of gun owners than an army of black rifle owners marching for open carry in front of the courthouse or recording police interaction because the 2nd amendment says.....I'm not interested in watching you tube videos of open carry advocates trying to screw with police in the name of protecting my right to own a firearm because in my eyes those guys are in fact tools and I don't support their actions and do not want to be part of that "brotherhood"

I think that without the NRA, the 2nd amendment might not exist. They fought the good fight during some challenging times in last 20 years. I think they have lost their way at the moment. I just don’t see a professional organization standing up for what is right in an effective way.
Once again, look into the Firearms Policy Coalition. They are doing ng great things.

Squincher

WKR
Wow that's a bold statement. Must mean for the self righteous

No, I meant exactly what exactly what I typed. You should probably worry more about the category into which you fall rather than worry about anyone else.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Life is black and white for the righteous; gray areas are the domain of cowards and liars.

Where do you live? I’m interested in having a beer and swapping stories.

This is quite a thread, with lots of valid and sometimes competing ideas.

One of my ideas: how about a compromise? I would support a bill to require a NICS check for all gun sales, even private sales, if in exchange, carry permits were treated like drivers licenses, and my permit from (some state) was good in all 50 plus the territories. If we can do that with operating a motor vehicle (not a constitutional right btw), why not carry permits (a constitutional right)?

As for the NRA, I’ve never been a member. I find that I can support them indirectly via things like Amazon Smile and Midway USA’s round up, without getting harassed with phone calls. I’m a believer that the if FPC or GOA or SAF or NSSF were making as much of a difference for our rights as the NRA, the anti-gun crowd would be attacking them in the media and trying to have them dissolved. So corrupt or not, the NRA will continue to get some of my money.

Wvroach

WKR
Where do you live? I’m interested in having a beer and swapping stories.

This is quite a thread, with lots of valid and sometimes competing ideas.

One of my ideas: how about a compromise? I would support a bill to require a NICS check for all gun sales, even private sales, if in exchange, carry permits were treated like drivers licenses, and my permit from (some state) was good in all 50 plus the territories. If we can do that with operating a motor vehicle (not a constitutional right btw), why not carry permits (a constitutional right)?

As for the NRA, I’ve never been a member. I find that I can support them indirectly via things like Amazon Smile and Midway USA’s round up, without getting harassed with phone calls. I’m a believer that the if FPC or GOA or SAF or NSSF were making as much of a difference for our rights as the NRA, the anti-gun crowd would be attacking them in the media and trying to have them dissolved. So corrupt or not, the NRA will continue to get some of my money.
A few problems with "universal" nics checks, first the current nics system is flawed several people have purchased firearms with the nics check allowing it to go through even though they were prohibited persons. Next the current violators of the 4473 are very very rarely prosecuted less than 5% of those who knowingly lie or falsify information are ever charged. Third to actually enforce a universal system to stop private sales would require a national registry of firearms and we all know what that leads too.

Also I disagree with NICS even being a thing to begin with, thanks Reagan. The government does a awful job at everything why do we want to continue to give them more power over us. If I am a citizen of this country even if I were a felon if I am deemed safe to be in society and released all my rights should be restored. The govt. Has no duty to protect it's constituents and as such every american should be able to fully take advantage of out inalienable right of defense of self, family, property, community and country.

No compromise on my rights, everytime a "compromise" is made it just infringes more on our freedoms and the ones that continue to push for it don't stop even after they get it they want more...

The NFA, GCA and any gun control "legislation" is unconstitutional.

Seems to me that the NRA isn’t really about protecting gun rights so much as pushing gun and ammo sales, don’t see any other reason they would wade into culture war issues that aren’t related to guns than creating fear to drive sales. In any case, I never have supported them for a variety of reasons beyond their corruption. For example, they used to be pro universal background check, no longer. The background check system may be flawed but that just means it should be fixed, not abandoned. Everyone sticking with the NRA rather than switching to more reasonable and less corrupt alternatives encourages the NRA to keep taking advantage of them.

I understand why we have the second amendment, the founders had just fought a successful insurgency. That being said, I don’t want anything to do with the “unregulated militia” Red Dawn cosplayers. They make things worse for reasonable responsible gun owners. Collectively we would be better served by being doing a better job of policing ourselves and not embracing the knuckleheads.

Broomd

WKR
I dont feel like Rokslide is the appropriate site to post threads like this.

That being said, I'm a lifetime member and have purchased four other lifetime memberships for family. I regret every penny I've given to that organization and wish them a speedy demise.
LOL, seriously?...this is EXACTLY the place for this!! Where else would we discuss it?!

The NRA is corrupt like a rotted fish, from the head down.
Revamp or I'll never give a red cent again.

WP should be in jail...

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
A few problems with "universal" nics checks, first the current nics system is flawed several people have purchased firearms with the nics check allowing it to go through even though they were prohibited persons. Next the current violators of the 4473 are very very rarely prosecuted less than 5% of those who knowingly lie or falsify information are ever charged. Third to actually enforce a universal system to stop private sales would require a national registry of firearms and we all know what that leads too.

Also I disagree with NICS even being a thing to begin with, thanks Reagan. The government does a awful job at everything why do we want to continue to give them more power over us. If I am a citizen of this country even if I were a felon if I am deemed safe to be in society and released all my rights should be restored. The govt. Has no duty to protect it's constituents and as such every american should be able to fully take advantage of out inalienable right of defense of self, family, property, community and country.

No compromise on my rights, everytime a "compromise" is made it just infringes more on our freedoms and the ones that continue to push for it don't stop even after they get it they want more...

The NFA, GCA and any gun control "legislation" is unconstitutional.
I don’t disagree with anything you just said. Would you not give a little to get a little? NICS isn’t perfect, but it’s there. And the opposition wants us to use it more. I’ll submit to an imperfect background check in exchange for the ability to carry in any state. I travel enough that this really matters to me.

Same with suppressors. If I can legally purchase a can where I live, and in WY or ID where I want to hunt, why can’t I transport it thru IL on my way there? I’m sure FOPA is supposed to protect me in that situation, but do I really trust IL not to try to prosecute me anyway? No.

Wvroach

WKR
I don’t disagree with anything you just said. Would you not give a little to get a little? NICS isn’t perfect, but it’s there. And the opposition wants us to use it more. I’ll submit to an imperfect background check in exchange for the ability to carry in any state. I travel enough that this really matters to me.

Same with suppressors. If I can legally purchase a can where I live, and in WY or ID where I want to hunt, why can’t I transport it thru IL on my way there? I’m sure FOPA is supposed to protect me in that situation, but do I really trust IL not to try to prosecute me anyway? No.
We should not have to concede anything to be able to exercise our rights. I live in a free state and frequently travel through a very blue state. I can ensure you I am never at a point i'm unable to defend myself though. Any LEO that would enforce such a thing is not a cop but a gestapo thug and deserves whatever goes their way.

Better to be Judged by 12 vs carried by 6. Also travelling with NFA items wouldn't be a issue if the NFA was repealed. Unconstitutional laws are not laws at all.

Our constitution clearly outlines what is granted to us not by govt but by God. No State or govt had the ability to take it away unless we the people comply with them.

TheGDog

WKR
Just read this article thought it was interesting. I have always been a member.

What are your thoughts ?

This guy... the author of this article... is a straight out f**kin' a-hole. You DO realize that magazine is produced by REI.. you know that.. right? Talkin' about "bullying Teens" Neyba Please! They were NOT bullying Teens who were victims of violence... they were putting them in their place for flappin' their gums on somethin' they didn't know a damn thing about. They were rising to the challenge of countering the lefts goto tactic of "Never letting a good crisis go to waste!" and further exploiting the emotionally-led masses to once again abandon logic and reason in their voting practices.

TheGDog

WKR
Unconstitutional laws are not laws at all.

^^^ THIS!!

Long story shorter... let anybody carry whatever the heck they want! In the beginning...yes... we all know there will initially likely be more deaths since fools will be fools an do foolish isht and get their damn asses capped with the quickness. However... I postulate that once the "wheat is separated from the chaff" you'll see quite the increase in terms of people falling in line and being good.

Think about it... if you KNEW.. straight out KNEW... that no matter where you went... that ANYBODY in your general vicinity could take you out with the quickness if you tried to Act a fool? I mean even gramps over there in the corner sippin' on his morning Latte reading a newspaper... could take your punk-*ss out for crossin' the line? Sheeeeit... DAMN quick fools would learn to fall in line. "Best Belee 'Dat!"

Last edited:

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
We should not have to concede anything to be able to exercise our rights. I live in a free state and frequently travel through a very blue state. I can ensure you I am never at a point i'm unable to defend myself though. Any LEO that would enforce such a thing is not a cop but a gestapo thug and deserves whatever goes their way.

Better to be Judged by 12 vs carried by 6. Also travelling with NFA items wouldn't be a issue if the NFA was repealed. Unconstitutional laws are not laws at all.

Our constitution clearly outlines what is granted to us not by govt but by God. No State or govt had the ability to take it away unless we the people comply with them.
Again, I’m not disagreeing. I’m unwilling to risk becoming a felon to carry somewhere it’s illegal to do so.

Unless you have some grand plan in which House/Senate/White House/Judiciary are all overwhelmingly gun-friendly at the same point in time, and then a plan to deal with the eventuality that that circumstance will not persist, the reality is that sometimes we will have to work across the aisle. I would not give up black rifles or standard cap magazines. But I’ll submit to a background check that I’ll pass. I’ll give one small thing to get one small thing. That’s called progress in our two party (often gridlocked) system.

And for what it’s worth, I like that we have a system that’s frequently gridlocked. Keeps any one party or agenda from running away with the country I love.

Glad we can agree some and disagree some. I appreciate the debate.