Thoughts on this chamber (borescope)

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Looks like sloppy work.

You didn’t take it back to the same guy did you?
He already told me to kick rocks unfortunately when it wouldn’t feed. I had to go to the stock manufacturer directly. They were amazing btw… AG composites.

I sent him the thread. I imagine he won’t respond.

Last edited:

Wrench

WKR
The reason I asked about case head expansion in a couple of places is to get an idea on what chamber pressures you're seeing. It is tough to tell from a pic if the smith wiped it with a piece of paper or had the worlds worst ream. If case head expansion gets in the 2plus area you're looking at high pressure and as mentioned, in the web can cause some odd results.

Sounds like you have it handled now....sorry about your luck. Sounds disappointing.

sndmn11

WKR
Looks like sloppy work.

You didn’t take it back to the same guy did you?
It is having a sleep over at Black Canyon Customs. If you ever meet someone named Fritz, ask them what they do and then fire everyone else you use for that task because if you're name is Fritz you are really good at what you do.

Guys…the chamber has a blatant machining defect…it’s not brass. There are rings/grooves machined into the walls of the chamber. It will require a replacement barrel. That’s a factory defect and you can’t fix it. The part gets scrapped and a new barrel gets Installed.
You're mistaken about this issue requiring a replacement barrel. The barrel can simply be set back and rechambered. If it's a quality blank that shoots well, that is the quickest, simplest means of solving the problem.

If it's a low quality blank that shoots like crap then certainly take the opportunity to replace it.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
It is having a sleep over at Black Canyon Customs. If you ever meet someone named Fritz, ask them what they do and then fire everyone else you use for that task because if you're name is Fritz you are really good at what you do.
That was my thought. I have confidence in fritz and he’s local. The original gunsmith should be offering me a refund on the barrel or a replacement barrel blank at cost, but he won’t so hopefully I can make this one work.

CoStick

WKR
That was my thought. I have confidence in fritz and he’s local. The original gunsmith should be offering me a refund on the barrel or a replacement barrel blank at cost, but he won’t so hopefully I can make this one work.
He is great, great work, communication.

packer58

WKR
OP, if you decide to have the barrel set back and the chamber re-cut make sure you scope it again and send pics of what a good chamber looks like.......

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
OP, if you decide to have the barrel set back and the chamber re-cut make sure you scope it again and send pics of what a good chamber looks like.......
Fritz is going to chase the chamber with his reamer then hand polish it. I’ll send a phone scope video when I get it back. Fritz said he wasn’t sure he could polish it enough to get the rings out. They were some of the worst he’s ever seen.

Fritz is going to chase the chamber with his reamer then hand polish it. I’ll send a phone scope video when I get it back. Fritz said he wasn’t sure he could polish it enough to get the rings out. They were some of the worst he’s ever seen.
I'm surprised he didn't want to set it back, but I'm sure he's 1000% more qualified than I am to make the decision.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
I'm surprised he didn't want to set it back, but I'm sure he's 1000% more qualified than I am to make the decision.
I’m not sure what setting it back would do. The rings go through the entire chamber as you can see in the video. Setting it back would allow him to extend the chamber out and create some new chamber space but you would never get rid of all the rings. I think the only real option if it didn’t work would be to remit into a larger cartridge… But I’m not sure you could find anything much fatter than a SAUM.

Setting it back would be the equivalent of starting with a short chambered barrel resulting in a completely fresh chamber vs a "repaired" chamber. A set back would require more machine time and time=$$$. I'm sure he wouldn't attempt to fix the existing chamber unless he was absolutely confident that it would be successful.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Based on the fact that the rifle was throated incorrectly, wouldn’t feed, and now had chambering issues because of the chambering job, it sounds like it have a decent small claims “claim”. Lol. I’m going to pursue that on Monday. Btw, my buddy had his rifle built at the same time, he’s having the same issue with rings in the chamber, plus the other stuff!

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Hopefully you get this rifle sorted out and shooting to your standards, because it'll be a MF'er to sell it here after what you've shared with us! Good luck man.
Hahahaha! The ultimate answer is a new barrel. That would solve all my issues.

Wrench

WKR
I’m not sure what setting it back would do. The rings go through the entire chamber as you can see in the video. Setting it back would allow him to extend the chamber out and create some new chamber space but you would never get rid of all the rings. I think the only real option if it didn’t work would be to remit into a larger cartridge… But I’m not sure you could find anything much fatter than a SAUM.
Setting it back a thread will mean that. 062" will be reamed from the chamber. I don't have as SAUM print handy, but if the rings are less than the taper depth .062" below it....it would clean up. Most of us who don't use a pressure flush take about a .050" cut on the reamer.

All of this assumes the chamber was square to begin with.

OP
Ucsdryder

Ucsdryder

WKR
Setting it back a thread will mean that. 062" will be reamed from the chamber. I don't have as SAUM print handy, but if the rings are less than the taper depth .062" below it....it would clean up. Most of us who don't use a pressure flush take about a .050" cut on the reamer.

All of this assumes the chamber was square to begin with.
Yeah I was confused. I forget that the brass is tapered even though it doesn’t look like it. So it makes sense that setting it back would allow him to clean it up. It would also shorten my already short barrel, any idea how far you’d have to set it back?

Wrench

WKR
One turn (assuming the headspace was right and 16tpi) would be .062"

If your smith chucks it up and takes a cut, he can see if it cleaned up.....then index your marks.

If your bedding was beyond the shank, it may alter the appearance up there too.

It would take a pretty good chip weld to get that many rings. That is an impressive mess.

Wrench

WKR
I would be curious to hear what your smith comes up with. I can't imagine chip weld doing that....but it's the only thing I can think of that would be so uniformly spread.