Thoughts on Vortex Talon 10x42...

2Stamp

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of these and bought them in 2013 I'd guess (at the time they were my most expensive binos I'd bought). I can't remember what I paid for them, I used a Mil discount. They are a decent optic I think. Everyone's eyes are different, but I liked them more than the Razor HDs I had. For my eyes, I didn't get the eye strain with the Talons the Razors gave me. I was looking at getting rid of some glass and elected to keep the Talons. My wife uses them now. I don't think you can go wrong with them for what they are.

Firehawk

WKR
I used to own them in an 8x42 variety and I enjoyed them alot. I replaced a pair of original Razors with the open hinge design I had in a 10x42. I just couldn't hold the 10x steady enough and believed that the view was better in the Talons.

I have since moved to Leicas and some Maven B2 which I still own, but they are a good optic and served me well for many years. For the money, they were really good, wide field of view and sharp image. FWIW that was my experience with them. My friend still uses them today as he bought mine when I moved to the next ones for me to try.

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
The talon is a sourced binocular and sold by other brands. I do not know if it has been upgraded over the time it was offered but it is the same bino as the Zen Ray ED3 and Vanguard Endeavor ED.

Since the time it was offered you have the Vanguard Endeavor ED2 and Bushnell Legend M models arrive.

More recently is the Bushnell Forge as the top version.

I have a Legend M and it is great glass for the money. Only lacking in brightness to alpha glass.

I would not buy the talon but look for a deal on a Forge as it is the most updated version of the design.

Regardless, all of them have wide FOV's with edge distortion or the "classic" view as it is called these days, no field flattening lenses and not sharp to the edges of the FOV.

I have not looked through a Forge but if it is an improvement over the Legend M is will be a hell of a bino for around $400.

NDGuy

WKR
I got mine for $270 and am more than happy with them for that price!