Thoughts on Zamberlan boots

Zamberlain will favor a more narrow foot profile with average size toes in relation to your foot size. If you have a more wide shaped foot and especially if you have sausage toes, they may not be the ideal boot for you.

FYI: most companies you the same footbed design for their entire fleet of boots, so any other Zamberlain you can try on will probably fit very similarly. The flex rating will of course be different.
I bought Zamberlan 960 GTX from STP in a wide width.
They fit great, excellent boots.
One note...the heel area of the sole is narrower than the Vasque Bitterroots that I had been wearing. I feel like my heel is less stable in the Zamberlans.

I have zamberlan 980s and 961s, hoffman 10" hunters, sportiva korakorum HC, sportiva trango trek, and hanwag trapper tops currently. Have had crispi briksdal SF, Lowa cevedale, scarpa charmoz, sportiva trango (stiff, light, synthetic discontinued version i cant remember), hanwag ankash gtx, and probably some others i'm forgetting.

Zamberlan is my favorite boot company although i do like some others.

TEWONG

FNG
I had great experience w/ 980s and older Elks. But recently bought a pair of Storm Pro GTXs and can't wear without taping up my heels...

a3dhunter

WKR
5 miles back put me on zamberlans 10 years ago, I've worn out 2 pairs of vioz1006 and have a Pair of 1009 as well. Love those boots but they discontinued them with the wide last (ZWL). Tried lowas, asolo, meindle, and several others but the zamberlan had them all beat.

If they fit your feet, they could be the last boots you buy. The pair of 1996's I have are built like tanks. Surprisingly comfortable to walk in for such a stiff boot. They are tighter in the toe box than some of my other shoes, but that can actually be helpful on steep descents so you're not slipping and jamming your toenails into the front of the boot all day.

manitou1

WKR
Injust got a pair of 981s….very high quality boot. Ibhave been wearing Crispis for years, but was looking for a better heel pocket.

So far, have been impressed with Zamberlan build quality. Time will tell on the rest, but looking good so far.
I have been using a pair of 981s for two years now.
Great boot, well made. Took very minimal break in for me.

They are too hot for summer scouting or hiking IMO.

Randonee

Lil-Rokslider
They make a very high quality boot that fits my foot well. My foot is normal width, but quite thin. One thing to note though, they seem to run a tad large for their stated size. I had to size down verses boot by Scarpa, La Sportiva and Salomon.

L.G.

FNG
I know this thread is from earlier in the year but, for anyone reading, the non camo soled version of these are a steal from Cabela's/Bass Pro right now. I always hated the camo sole anyways, totally silly and I don't need any help looking like more of a redneck in public.

I have ran this boot, Lynx 4014 Boa, for a couple seasons. If you hunt hard in steep, rough/rocky terrain and have long packouts, they are hard to beat imho. They seem quite light to me for what they are.

They are 100% waterproof but breathe well enough for active hunting. You could extend these into later seasons but be warned that the open lug pattern, which grips dry terrain perfectly, is a recipe for a backcountry TBI on ice or even just regular wet, slippery stuff like a log. Best to keep them for early season and step lively around anything slick.

Sizing is tricky. One of my feet is like a an 8.5/9ish, the other a half size larger. Both feet are just on that edge of needing a wide if you put them in a brannock device (the classic foot sizing thing a good shop will use to fit you). I first had a pair fitted to me in 9.5, standard last (ZBPK). This wasn't incorrect but even after a couple yrs of break in I was getting heel slip/rub that had to be managed. My goal (more like an ideal) with boots of all types is to not have to tape my heels. So, I sold the 9.5 regulars and tried 8 and 8.5 regular with no luck. Got a pair of 9 wide (ZWL) on my feet right now and these are still long in the toe but feel like they're going to work. An 8-8.5 ZWL would probably be just right but they're two hundo more right now. Italians must have long, pointy elf toes or something bc there's an easy 1/2 inch of extra space, length wise in here whereas the fit is correct otherwise. I don't wear super thick socks in any of my boots. Anyways, my sizing advice is go wide if on the edge and go with your running shoe size up to one size down. Buy from a vendor that takes returns easily so you can dial it in.

logan123

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’d help to buy your EU size as opposed to your US size. Brands convert differently. I have US13 Hanwags that would be ridiculously huge in Zamberlan US13 - Zamberlan EU47 is their US12. Hanwag is EU47 to US13, like Lowa and others.

Top notch quality boot sizing aside!

I ALMOST got the 4014 BOA version.. BUT GoHunt had the Zamberland Baltoro Lite on sale for 40% off. Its a near same boot based on the specs. The Lynx had a slightly thicker padding. I too agree that Euro sizing might be better to go by. All my thoughts on the Baltoro's are in the below link

Bedrock

FNG
I’m a little late to reply here but I just started on my 3rd pair of lynxes. By far my favorite boot ever but it depends on your foot shape. My only suggestion is get the lace up, not the BOA. I found I like to snug the heel and tie a lock knot to keep the toe box looser, especially after they have a few hundred miles on them. You can’t Do that with the BOA. And I imagine it would be a pain to repair in the field.

L.G.

FNG
fwiw, boa will send you repair kits free of charge. I have one for each of my boots, haven't had to use them yet.

Samson7x

WKR
Anyone try the Salathe 226 for an early season boot? Haven't read much about them on here or otherwise?

coyyota

WKR
Classified Approved
If you’re going to try a Zamberlan boot you really need to use their size chart. Sizing will vary based on which model/last. Measure your foot. Use the chart.

I’m a little late to reply here but I just started on my 3rd pair of lynxes. By far my favorite boot ever but it depends on your foot shape. My only suggestion is get the lace up, not the BOA. I found I like to snug the heel and tie a lock knot to keep the toe box looser, especially after they have a few hundred miles on them. You can’t Do that with the BOA. And I imagine it would be a pain to repair in the field.
The heal lock with laces is a good point I never though of

I buy shoe size 12 in everything unless there is a blatant size difference(thursday boots are like this) I found a slight difference in a US 11.5 and a US 12 from zamberlan. I bought size 12 so I can wear my thicker wool socks. I've been happy with this boots.

I'm curious what the flexibility is of Lynx boots. I ended up with Baltoro's and they are stiff stiff stiff. Probably the stiffest boot I've ever had, but not to the point that I dislike. I would buy another pair of Zamberlans with confidence

Bedrock

FNG
They're not stiff at all, probably a little more flexible than the Suagaro/Wasatch. Most would find them not quite stiff enough for doing things like packing a sheep through boulders. But for everything else, as long as they fit you, I don’t think there’s anything better

Wore out a pair of the 1996 and also the 972. Both good boots, very different feel to them. The 972 were my go to mountain boot. I put a reasonable amount of miles on them before they crapped out.

I resoled 1996 and still wear them for kicking around.

The 972 had a really shallow toe box and when my feet got really hot it would contact the tops of my toes ever so slightly. Never enough to be painful, just annoying.