Thoughts/opinions on my gear list so far?

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
So me and a like minded friend are planning a September archery Colorado trip. We're both flat landers, in our early 30s and are experienced hunters. I've been picking up gear the last few months and wondered what you guys think. I'm open to suggestions and criticism.

Pack - mystery ranch metcalf

Bino - nikon monarch 5 10x42 with mystery ranch quick draw bino harness.

Shelter - marmot tungsten 3p backpacking tent

Sleep - klymit luxe pad. Currently working with some local amish to make me a top quilt. I estimate it to be about a 30 degree.

Clothes - firstlite kiln hoody 250, firstlite furnace quater zip 350, firstlite fuse 200 long john, prana stretch Zion pant.

Rain gear - open to reasonably priced suggestions.

Boots - I got what I think is a killer pair or gore tex cabelas brand uninsulated boot. They have great support for me and I've put a lot of miles on them without fail. I might just run with them but I'm open to suggestions here too.

Water/cooking - 3L platypus with Sawyer mini, couple nalgene bottles. Elekcity burner ($12 amazon), and 1 liter pot (Amazon). Mountain house, tortillas, trail mixes, bars....

So I think this covers the basics. I've bought everything on sale or with promos and I feel like I've got good deals on everything. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ColeKira

FNG
Gaiters, extra socks, first aid kit, micro towel, baby wipes.
September in Colorado can be 90 during the day and 20 at night. I learned that the hard way in the Spanish Twin Peaks.

mproberts

WKR
Gaiters, extra socks, first aid kit, micro towel, baby wipes. QUOTE]

All this stuff plus...

Get rid of the Nalgenes in favor of platypus water bottle bags, they weigh nothing and pack down to nothing, perfect for drink mixes.

Instant potatoes are great to split between two people, adds a bit to each dinner and can help you choke down that mtn house meal that sounded good but wasn't good.

Kill kit: meat bags, knife, etc. You are hunting right ;)

Always consider merino clothing, weather it be underwear, shirts, socks etc.. the stuff doesn't stink which goes along way after a week of backcountry hunting.

There are lots of good options but I like FL vapor stormtight rain gear, it weighs nothing and gets the job done very well, it will rain.

A hex keys to fix or tighten anything on your bow.

CX5Ranch

WKR
A few minor things...

2 pillow cases for meat
Headlamp and a led lantern. Elekcity has some good ones for 10 bucks.

I don't take rain gear. I take 3 of those cheap plastic 99cent rain parka things from dollar general. Talk about light. Only use if needed.

100 ft 550 cord

Small knife sharpener

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Muttly

WKR
I,d say one nalgene/ whatever water bottle per guy on the hip or where ever convenient, cause they're a little handier, at least for me, than the the platypus bottles. A couple platypus bottles each, big and little, if you have high and dry stretches. Dehydration in the boonies is not your friend in any weather.
Trekking poles. The cam lock type have been a lot more dependable than the twist lock for me.
In my thirties, hated the idea of using em. Be hitting the big 5.0 in the next year, more likely than not. At this point, been using them for a few years, waaaaay better stability with them in the steep, rocky, bare roots, kinda stuff. Which leads to less strain, less wear and tear, and less chance of twisted ankles and torn up knees. Start now and twenty years down the road you won't miss the injuries avoided much, if at all..

If you haven't used the tent much yet, start popping it up in the backyard on the weekends. Get the quirks and idiosyncrasies worked out in advance, so when you find a flat and clear spot an hour later and darker than intended, putting a roof over head is quick and easy.

This from a flatlander who has stayed busy at work and put some of those little practice runs off, avoided trekking poles for a long time..

And if you're both single, let somebody know when your leaving, and when you should be back. Not necessarily cheap insurance, but not a bad idea.

Last edited:

Lawnboi

WKR
My only suggestion, get out and use your camp/backpacking gear. If you know your gear and the backpacking style aspect of the hunt it will give you more time to hunt and less time fiddling with gear.

Outdoor research makes decent raingear for a good price. Going without is risky IMO, and I'm not risking my hunt along with trip over a pound and a half of raingear especially not in September at elevation

Get out and use your stuff. Big things are Nalgene, a way to make fire and the know how to to it, an get some water treatment that is not a filter for a backup. Learn how to camp and live off the trail so up can focus on hunting

Last edited:
OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Great stuff thanks everyone! I didn't get real specific on the small but important items. Kill kit set. Headlamps I have a few black diamond and princeton tecs. Also got a paria research tarp on Amazon for a stick camp if we get deep and into elk. (Also bringing 2-3 days provisions). I have a good first aid kit. I was gonna get a set of carbon fiber trek poles on Amazon to aid in (hopefully) a heavy packout, and also tarp supports. Was also gonna pick up a steripen for back up. Hygiene stuff is set (baby wipes, camp suds, tp, etc)

I'll look into the outdoor research rain gear. I have a hard time dropping over $400 for a packable rain gear set. The latest brand I was looking at was the skre gear stuff. They got a 15% off going so you can get the set for about $400. Still a lot of $$$$ for a budget minded trip.

I'm mildly concerned with finding a water source if we get into elk and can't get back to truck camp. (Truck camp will be well supplied with water jugs/coolers). I have several waypoints marked but whether or not there is water nearby is unknown (thus far). I do have a couple waypoints where there is a visible water hole with onX map and google earth.

Pistol. I have to look into legalities of carrying over state lines. Info here appreciated. I'm under the impression if you get a Utah permit you're pretty much good to go. I live in upstate new York if this helps. I'll look into reciprocity here.

Again thanks for the tips. Keep 'em comin!

Muttly

WKR
Guessing that you already have tags for a specific game unit.. If you haven't already, Google Earth, or a number of GPS units/apps let you do a little long distance scouting, not quite fine detail, but topo , land ownership and such.

CX5Ranch

WKR
Don't get too carried away scouting water holes from Google. Normal years will have water gushing from every ice pack from every mountain top in the area. Water holes are good to know about but there is usually so much water in the mountains it is pointless to hunt a pond. Now a lot of guys say in Arizona and new Mexico rely solely on water holes.

OP
B

buckwalleye

Lil-Rokslider
Don't get too carried away scouting water holes from Google. Normal years will have water gushing from every ice pack from every mountain top in the area. Water holes are good to know about but there is usually so much water in the mountains it is pointless to hunt a pond. Now a lot of guys say in Arizona and new Mexico rely solely on water holes.

That's reassuring thank you.

And we have OTC tags but we do have our GMUs narrowed down.

And I spend waaaaay to much time on my laptop, with cell phone and iPad in hand. Laptop and cell scouting onX, making notes. iPad running Google earth. Paper maps and notebooks scattered somewhere. My wife is a saint lol

Pistol. I have to look into legalities of carrying over state lines. Info here appreciated. I'm under the impression if you get a Utah permit you're pretty much good to go. I live in upstate new York if this helps. I'll look into reciprocity here.

If you are going to get a conceal carry permit, get one from your home state.

If you just plan to open carry while hunting, keep the pistol unloaded and cased separate from the ammo while traveling and you should be fine.

Even if you have a conceal carry permit, unload and case when going through states that do not have reciprocity like Illinois.

Illinois sucks.

FlyGuy

WKR
Looks like you are pretty set. Now just focus on your calling skills, fitness and zeroing in on a couple target areas. Enjoy the process.

A couple small suggestions. Didn't see a kill kit so make sure you have game bags and Skinner, etc; but you probably do.

Navigation tools - I'm sure you will have your phone but have a back up. A GPS (and learn how to use it, not nearly as user friendly as your phone) is a great option. I always print out and laminate paper maps and have a compass as well. Consider an InReach as well. Gives great peace of mind when you are way back in those big ole mountains for the 1st time.

A tripod could be beneficial depending on the hunt area you select. Even a cheap plastic one can really help if there are glassing opportunities.

Rain gear is something that can save your life, so it "should" be the best you can afford. But, you are probably near the end of you budget by now so just get something that works and fits your budget and go hunt. If you are in Colorado where you don't get much rain anyway then it's less of a risk than other areas. But if you are taking that risk you just need to watch the weather more closely (another case for the InReach). Not trying to be an alarmist, but Being wet in low 40° temps can kill you. Cheaper gear is usually less breathable and/or heavier; but it really just needs to keep you dry and a lot of stuff out there will do that. After your 1st trip, most guys go one of two ways. Either you'll hate it and never go back, or you'll absolutely love it and spend the entire off season upgrading all your gear for next season anyway.

Another option can be buying a small tarp for < $100 to quickly pitch to get out of a storm, maybe drape over you like a poncho in a real pinch.

Regardless, looks like you've got the basic gear covered, so now just focus on the skills. Enjoy your hunt and best of luck to you. Love to hear how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

mherne8

FNG
Great stuff thanks everyone! I didn't get real specific on the small but important items. Kill kit set. Headlamps I have a few black diamond and princeton tecs. Also got a paria research tarp on Amazon for a stick camp if we get deep and into elk. (Also bringing 2-3 days provisions). I have a good first aid kit. I was gonna get a set of carbon fiber trek poles on Amazon to aid in (hopefully) a heavy packout, and also tarp supports. Was also gonna pick up a steripen for back up. Hygiene stuff is set (baby wipes, camp suds, tp, etc)

I'll look into the outdoor research rain gear. I have a hard time dropping over $400 for a packable rain gear set. The latest brand I was looking at was the skre gear stuff. They got a 15% off going so you can get the set for about $400. Still a lot of $$$$ for a budget minded trip.

I'm mildly concerned with finding a water source if we get into elk and can't get back to truck camp. (Truck camp will be well supplied with water jugs/coolers). I have several waypoints marked but whether or not there is water nearby is unknown (thus far). I do have a couple waypoints where there is a visible water hole with onX map and google earth.

Again thanks for the tips. Keep 'em comin!

I’m a former upstate New Yorker as well. You should be good to open carry a pistol in any National Forest. NY doesn’t reciprocate to anyone and vise versa however open carry is legal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk