Thread arguments

bummer7580

Lil-Rokslider
A couple of years ago I started looking for a new outdoor forum site to follow and stumbled on Rokslide. The old site I followed was losing members I suspect do to members arguing, bickering and name calling. Most threads and members on Rokslide are polite and it's an enjoyable way to spend an evening while gaining a little knowledge. Recently though I read a thread discussing "bear spray vs. handgun". Opinions were pretty strong on both sides and soon the name calling started. Really guys- If you feel your position is correct you don't need to feel threatened and resort to name calling or arguing.

Jauwater

WKR
I've noticed something recently. When threads start getting hot, and the name calling begins. Check the profile of the name callers, as odd would have it, they typically just started their Rokslide account that day. Not always the case, but I've seen it now on 4 different threads in the last couple weeks. I'd have to assume it's current members starting new accounts just to stir the pot, and so they don't get banned. It is disturbing when there are people so filled with hate that they can't speak their mind without attacking people with a different opinion. So hateful that they feel the need to start a new account, because they know what they are about to spew is that hateful. I called someone out on it the other day, and they deleted the post fairly quick. I find it sickening that people will go that far knowing they are in the wrong, trying to pull people down to their level. Maybe there is another explanation for it, but it seems odd to me.

Sent from my moto g(7) optimo maxx(XT1955DL) using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Diesel

WKR
Applaud the quick discipline on the name calling. I come here because it is a civil and enjoyable exchange of experiences and ideas.

I am one who left a site where I was a member for near 20 years because of the endless personal attacks on others, and eventually directed at me. I did not even realize the stress that it created until I thought enough and left.

It is fine to have an opposing viewpoint. No need to make it caustic.

I sure hope that Rokslide will not fall into that trap.

I love this place. My only regret is I didn't become a member sooner. I spend some time on another forum (much less now), but I don't mesh too well with most there. I seem to have a low tolerance for ignorance and general lack of common sense. People on here seem to be very polite, level headed, open to other view points, and don't try to pretend they know things they don't. One thing is for sure, letting yourself get heated up over an internet argument is a pure waste of time. That arrow up in the top left corner of the screen will instantly solve all your problems.

ODB

WKR
Resorting to name calling is a sure sign you have lost the debate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, people should be asked to read Graham’s Hierarchy of Disagreement before posting on a site.

or, just remember the old maxim:

Great minds discuss ideas;
Average minds discuss events;
Small minds discuss people.

Stay within the confines of these two concepts and you have a REAL conversation.

It’s not limited to this forum. I started a thread on another site to research one caliber vs another. All of the thread participants were extremely helpful, knowledgeable, and helped me make a sound decision, except for one that decided to personally attack me because I was dissatisfied with my current rifles performance. What pissed me off wasn’t that he did it, it’s that the douche wasn’t smacked down by the mods when I reported him. This wasn’t some general discussion thread where there is a little more leeway for debate, this was a technical discussion debating the merits of two different calibers.