Threading a .30 cal Tikka t3x superlite or lite

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Can a tikka t3x lite or superlite in .30 cal get threaded for use with a supressor?

Been doing research and I am seeing a lot of folks say that with a OD of .630" like on the lite and superlite you need to do 1/2-28 then other folks say 1/2-28 doesn't leave enough meat on the barrel for a 0.30cal.

I called my gunsmith but he has not gotten back to me. If I am left with no good options my next idea is either selling the guns and buying ones that are threaded or replacing the barrels and just customizing it to my liking. I am on a budget, so if I need to replace barrels to get the suppressor option I will have to sit for a while and save up the money. In the meantime these tikkas shoot great...

Thanks!

1/2x28 is a typical thread size and I have a 30 cal threaded with it and barrel diameter is .610 with no issues.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Correcting my original post. I pulled up a spec sheet for a factory Tikka sporter contour and it is actually 0.610" at the muzzle.

Lawnboi

WKR
Not advised by many gunsmiths, and manufacturers. But people do it all the time. Worse case you cut it off and re crown.

Think about it. .308 hole, .457” undercut at the end of the thread (deepest thoughts 1/2x28 should go) . That leaves you with .149” of steel total left over, divide that by two and your left with very little steel between the undercut at the shoulder and the bore.

Here’s some reading from a well regarded smiths on the subject

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Some say it can be done, others say it can but not without potential consequences...

Lawnboi

WKR
Some say it can be done, others say it can but not without potential consequences...
Do you have a suppressor already? If I was in your circumstance I’d buy an ultra 7 and have TBAC put on a face mounted brake at your desired length.

One way to get by that issue

OP
P

Packmansion

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have a suppressor already? If I was in your circumstance I’d buy an ultra 7 and have TBAC put on a face mounted brake at your desired length.

One way to get by that issue
I do already have a suppressor. Banish 30. A lot of people I know personally really raved about it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I’m going to be sending in a tikka 30-06 to get cut back to 18” and threaded. I’m hoping they can do 5/8x24 but if not then I’ll use the 1/2x28 adapter and not lose much sleep over it.

Unckebob

WKR
I do already have a suppressor. Banish 30. A lot of people I know personally really raved about it.

If you go with the 1/2x28 threading, you’ll need this $30 part. Easy Peasy.

Good Luck

Loper

WKR
Two of my buddies both have Tikka T3Xs in 6.5 CM and in 300 WIN. Both got their barrels threaded for suppressor use. It isn’t 5/8 x 24 threads but it works with an adapter.

KClark

WKR
I threaded my T3 Lite 300 WSM for a 9/16x28 muzzle brake to leave as much wall thickness as possible. Not sure if there are adapters available for what you would need.

Tahoe1305

WKR
Dropped my 6.5C superlite off yesterday to cut to 21.5” (.635”) and thread 1/2-28. I had one shop tell me not recommend. I’m not sure I would have done it if it was a 30 cal.

This gunsmith measured it out and said would be fine. Multiple threads of folks saying it works as well. I’ll let you know if I have issues….acknowledging not a 30 cal.

z987k

WKR
My tikka 3006 lite is cut to 20in and threaded 1/2x28. I just measured a superlite the other day and it was .630 at the muzzle. .635 just before the flutes.

It's not possible to put 5/8 threads on a tikka forward of 16in.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
My tikka 3006 lite is cut to 20in and threaded 1/2x28. I just measured a superlite the other day and it was .630 at the muzzle. .635 just before the flutes.

It's not possible to put 5/8 threads on a tikka forward of 16in.
1/2x28 with an adapter it is.

Oh No!!! ToLeRaNcE sTaCkInG…..

brushape

WKR
Been done thousands of times and if you use a titanium brake you’re removing a weaker metal and replacing it with something stronger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

According to the math...1/2-28 should be just fine. Pressure at the muzzle isn't equal to chamber pressure. Theoretically there shouldn't be any plastic deformation. That said, some have claimed that there is. I'm going to be doing my 300 WSM after this season, I'll post up when it's done.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I'd say it depends on how much you trust your gunsmith. My gunsmith threaded the barrel on my stainless steel 7mm Rem Mag. He then put an adapter on it to upsize the threading to 5/8 by 24. He made sure that it was straight and checked it to ensure that there would be no issues with a suppressor. I have a super light Barrel that I don't think would support that. So yes it can be done but you're going to want a confident gunsmith to do it with good Machining skills.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk