three day trip- under 30 lbs with food and water :)

S.Clancy

WKR
I've taken my 15F bag into the negative single digits using puffies. I dont wear them, I layer one over my legs and the other over my chest. Works good when you have a properly R-rated pad. Any colder than that and I'd really rather not backpack in.

My bags are Feather Friend's Flickers- like a bag in most respects, but no hood and and can fully zip them out on warmer nights.
I’ve been looking at the Flicker and was leaning towards the 20° UL wide version (room for layers). Just curious what you would consider the useful temp range of that setup vs say the 30° version?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I’ve been looking at the Flicker and was leaning towards the 20° UL wide version (room for layers). Just curious what you would consider the useful temp range of that setup vs say the 30° version?

I find FF to be pretty spot on with their rating (comfort)- no problem with 20 degrees (bag on it's own) and with the full zip, probably up to the 50's and 60's. 20 degrees with just light base layers and a hat for comfort.

Ditto on the 30 degree bag, but probably a little more comfy in the higher range.

My 20 degree Flicker I had them add 3 oz of overfill and I've had it down to single digits and have been comfortable. I call it a 5-10 degree bag, the 30 I didn't add any overfill and it's a solid 30 degree bag.

Odd1out

FNG
I find FF to be pretty spot on with their rating (comfort)- no problem with 20 degrees (bag on it's own) and with the full zip, probably up to the 50's and 60's. 20 degrees with just light base layers and a hat for comfort.

Ditto on the 30 degree bag, but probably a little more comfy in the higher range.

My 20 degree Flicker I had them add 3 oz of overfill and I've had it down to single digits and have been comfortable. I call it a 5-10 degree bag, the 30 I didn't add any overfill and it's a solid 30 degree bag.
How do you like the flicker after a few years?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
How do you like the flicker after a few years?

Sent from my SM-G986W using Tapatalk

FlickerS :D I've got two now- one is a 30°, the other a 20° w/ 3 oz of overfill- roughly a 10° Yeah other than my -10° bag, they are all I use. Someone pm'd me recently asking about the Flicker and wanted to know if I missed having a hood. With the -10 bag I want a hood, with the Flickers I've found a one ounce down beanie w/ the hood from base layer to be enough.

So yeah I still like them :)