Three Generations Semi Live Antelope Hunt

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After laying prone for over an hour the antelope finally started getting up and feeding. We had a 22 mph crosswind but everything was dialed and dad hammered the buck as it walked out to feed.

2482ac985f6c74e73339089c1e95674e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
After getting dad's buck taken care of and hung on the meat pole we headed out for the evening. We spotted a herd about a mile away that had a decent buck in it so Rob and I took off on a stalk.

We hiked up into the hills adjacent to the buck and then started our crawl. As we peeked over the ridge we could see a smaller buck feeding at about 250 yards. Knowing he was with the bigger buck earlier Rob got set up to shoot. It only took a few minutes for the bigger buck to feed into sight and Rob made a perfect shot to dump the buck in his tracks at 224 yards.

eb3997e01ff45479e28a8c54c101e85d.jpg

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Our trip is coming to an end today and I'm happy and satisfied even though I didn't kill a buck. Yesterday Rob and I hiked a big loop through an area we knew most people wouldn't hike into. We were into antelope right away and crawled within range. All we could see was a smaller buck and a bunch of does. Finally a bigger buck showed himself but he was really close and as I was readying for a sitting shot he ran and took the herd with him.

They ran out onto the hillside 500 yards away and now we could see three good bucks. There was a lot of chaos as all the antelope moved across the hillside. They would constantly be switching places or the does would cover up the bucks leaving no clear shot. There was a lot going on as I tried to pick out a good buck, get the range, and settle for a shot.

A good buck finally was in the clear and I fired at just over 500 yards and missed. I sat there trying to figure out if I rushed the shot, or had a bad range, or what exactly. I double checked everything and decided I must have made a bad shot.

Rob and I continued hiking along our planned loop and spotted a group of bucks a couple miles away. We decided to try to get in front of them and close the distance for a shot. As we were making our way through the hilks and gullies I spotted more antelope closer to us and there where a lot of them. We immediately ducked and dropped our packs.

We crawled up to the edge and could see five, six, seven, no eight bucks in this herd. I picked out the biggest which was bedded behind sage brush with no clear shot. I ranged, and dialed for 306 yards with a 15 mph crosswind. Now I just had to wait for him to stand up. He finally did after about a half hour of waiting and presented a good quartered-to-me shot. I took the shot and could see in my scope that I missed!

I was super disappointed because he was well within range and the biggest goat I had seen in this unit. I couldn't figure out what happened. I wasn't rushed and my range was good, and my rest was solid.

After packing up I decided to shoot a rock near where the antelope were bedded before. I shot and hit way low and right. I'm not sure what happened with my rifle but it was definitely way off and cost me a really good antelope.

I got a couple more stalks in the evening after we cut up the last couple antelope at camp and I switched rifles. Neither stalk ended with a good shot opportunity so we called it a night.

I still had an awesome trip with my dad, son, best friend and his son so I have lots to be thankful for.

Thanks for following along.

Jsuss

FNG
After getting Dylan's buck gutted and packed out we headed to another spot to look for some more. We found a small herd with a nice buck in it but they were continually moving and we couldn't get set up for a shot before they made it out of sight. Didn't see much else but had an awesome sunset to finish a great day.

83c33be48ab7a83da8b77e40f3fe480c.jpg
c23fa73763fb1ad30e575b01cfb38257.jpg

Nice pack. How do you like it?

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Nice pack. How do you like it?

It has worked well for me. Here is my review.

JustMe2

FNG
I'd like to see pictures of what your camp site looked like with the skinning rack, kitchen, shrink wrap, etc. I'm envisioning quite a large setup for all those people, a camp trailer, tents, and that other trailer behind the camper.

Thanks for the great story and pictures. Very entertaining.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
did you ever figure out what happened with your rifle?
I think it's from removing and installing the suppressor to put the rifle in the case. I've got more testing to do but it seems to be changing my zero quite a bit each time I put it on.

OP
Justin Crossley

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I'd like to see pictures of what your camp site looked like with the skinning rack, kitchen, shrink wrap, etc. I'm envisioning quite a large setup for all those people, a camp trailer, tents, and that other trailer behind the camper.

Thanks for the great story and pictures. Very entertaining.
I'm not sure if I have a camp photo. I'll have to check.

I think it's from removing and installing the suppressor to put the rifle in the case. I've got more testing to do but it seems to be changing my zero quite a bit each time I put it on.

I've had small poi changes with mine, but that is only if shooting it with it on or off. I've never had an issue removing it and putting it on and having that change my poi

So cool thanks for sharing cant wait to get my boy out there did a second choice 22 hunt in wyoming three years ago my daughter got her buck but cant go out cause tied up with ball but soon as can draw im taking him!