Three week saga in the Wyoming High Country finally comes to an end!

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Bobby Mick, aka desertstalker here on Rokslide punched his tag on a great Wyoming buck. Bobby and I were suppose to team up the first week of Archery, but with some bad luck, I blew out my knee a week before this could happen.

Bobby went ahead and packed in by himself and located this great buck. After chasing him with his bow for five days, Bobby had to return home. He gave me a call and said "Matt, I found a great buck and if your knee gets better, you need to get up there and kill this buck!" With some good luck, I hobbled myself up the trail and located this buck the weekend before rifle opened up.

The night before opening day, I found him again and was super stoked for the morning hunt. On opening day, the flood gates opened and the basin was full of hunters overlooking the basin. I never laid eyes on the buck we dubbed "Mr. Frazier". The night of the 16th, I finally relocated him across the basin. As I hobbled across the basin as fast as I could, I finally found myself within 300 yards of this beautiful buck. But big bucks don't get big by being dumb and he fed into a small patch of scrub pines and never came out that night. The next day he was nowhere to be found.

I returned home and notified Bobby that "Mr. Frazier" was still alive and that if he could, he needed to get back to Wyoming and we would team up and hunt this buck.

Bobby and I met at the trailhead on Friday the 21st. That morning, we did not find him, but found a smaller buck that was usually with him. That evening, Bobby spotted a big bodied deer feeding in the basin and notified me that it was him! Game on! I quickly said, "Bobby, let's go kill this buck and your shooting him!"

As we raced off the ridge, we quickly found ourselves 200 yards from the buck. I was on him and Bobby looked over at me and said "Are you on him?" I said "Yeah" and Bobby said "Shoot him"! I then said "Nope, I said you are shooting him Bobby". As I watched through my rifle scope, Bobby made a perfect shot and the rest is history!

"DOWN GOES FRAZIER, DOWN GOES FRAZIER!"

He grossed out at 194"

I will add this. I had a awesome hunt with a class act guy. Bobby, you are a mule deer hunting machine and I hope we can hunt together again in the future!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Great story and awesome deer! Congrats fellas! Hopefully the knee is healing in record breaking time...

OP
M

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, his body was huge!!!! His neck looked like he was in the rut already.....just a toad of a deer. Bobby, knowing my knee was weak, packed all the meat, cape, and rack out. I packed out a lot of Bobby's camp gear along with mine. Bobby's pack weighed 115+ lbs. Im sure he had a smile from ear to ear all the way back to Oregon. Even with a good knee, I could not keep up with him.......he is a mountain goat!!!

Matt,
Thanks for posting our adventure! I am a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason and therefore, I believe our "chance" meeting on that 10,000 ft. peak 3 years ago was not really "chance" at all. We talked, dreamed and schemed for at least a year leading up to this hunt. We laughed when our wives accused us of having "issues" and I truly felt for you when you tore up your knee! Not once in my pre-hunt planning did I envision a rifle in my hand! Honestly, driving for 15 hours through the night for a weekend hunt was as much to fulfill the plan of hunting together as it was to take our buck. There were plenty of factors to suggest that we wouldn't find "Mr. Frazier" and the fact that we did and put him down is just icing on the cake! That day will be etched in my mind forever, we will do this again, and next time it will be myself looking through the glass at the shot and yelling, "You @#$%&* smoked him!!"

I consider you a great friend, a great hunter and I am thankful for that "chance" meeting!
"Down goes Frazier!!!"

Last edited: