Three week saga in the Wyoming High Country finally comes to an end!

OP
M

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of credit and respect to this deer. We lucked out and capitalized on his one mistake. Once opening day started, the hunting pressure was unreal. This buck knew when and where to hide.

When I told a close friend of mine where this bucks whereabouts were, he just smiled and basically said we were screwed. "That mountain gets pounded all season long. That deer will either get killed opening day or disappear until after the season. But good luck!"

In fact, after Bobby located him that night, we got nervous as 3 horseback hunters rode past him 330 yards on the main trail. They never saw him.

Like I said, lots of credit and respect towards this buck. Actually, it was an honor to get to hunt this buck and we both were really thankful for the opportunity.

ScottR_EHJ

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The big guys are incredibly smart, will hang tight in an area when the pressure starts. The list of stories could go on and on, but the truth is that most of the time they figure out how to humble us, again awesome buck!

JNDEER

WKR
Great buck!

What kind of live weight did that fatty have?? He looks like a freakin giant.

AWESOME BUCK and that is what its all about guys!!! Congrats to both of you for getting to share that "chance" meeting and now enjoy the many fruits that it will bring. Not every trophy is in the harvest many are simply in the journey...but 194" is a great reminder :)

Drdantdc

FNG
Matt,
Thanks for posting our adventure! I am a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason and therefore, I believe our "chance" meeting on that 10,000 ft. peak 3 years ago was not really "chance" at all. We talked, dreamed and schemed for at least a year leading up to this hunt. We laughed when our wives accused us of having "issues" and I truly felt for you when you tore up your knee! Not once in my pre-hunt planning did I envision a rifle in my hand! Honestly, driving for 15 hours through the night for a weekend hunt was as much to fulfill the plan of hunting together as it was to take our buck. There were plenty of factors to suggest that we wouldn't find "Mr. Frazier" and the fact that we did and put him down is just icing on the cake! That day will be etched in my mind forever, we will do this again, and next time it will be myself looking through the glass at the shot and yelling, "You @#$%&* smoked him!!"

I consider you a great friend, a great hunter and I am thankful for that "chance" meeting!
"Down goes Frazier!!!"
Impressive guys...on many levels!

OP
M

MattEastman

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone. Well, looks like deer tag soup for me this year and thats just fine. Hunting this buck made my season and to watch desertstalker smoke him at 200 yards was icing on the cake! Heading to the mountains again this weekend after elk. Extremely excited to be taking my 8 year old son Kaden along :)

Last edited:

carnyman

FNG
While we all have to go it solo at times the hunt is always a lot better when you have a buddy there to enjoy the success and endure the pain. Congratulations on an awesome hunt you guys.

Great buck! Sure mis guiding in Wyoming. I guided for Double Y Outfitters about 20 miles south of Jackson up the head of Dog Creek.. Spent 3 yrs out there and loved it. What area were you all hunting in? I was able to take a friend out last yr after not having been there since 2008. He tagged his elk and I didnt. I know the state record goat came out of our camp a couple years ago.. Our season here in Kansas is still on big time not sure if I will get out to my muley spot as I had two hunters have to cancel their trip last minute.. but have been fortunate to take some nice muleys over theyears out here and was chasing a potential state recors that I estimated to gross over 215".. happy hunting!