Threw this new rifle together this weekend...

Took a trip down to Lewiston to help my hunting partner finish up his jet boat overhaul and to throw a gun together. Was an insanely long weekend of working till 3 AM and up early to finish boat and get to work on the gun but finally got everything done! Just got done with the bedding job this morning, and got shipping confirmation that dies and brass are en route today as well! Details below:

300 Norma Mag Chamber
Rock Creek 5R cut rifled barrel. Sendero contour/fluted. Finished at 27" (back of chamber to crown), 1:10" twist.
Remington 700 Stainless action with action lugs and action face trued.
PTG 1 piece bolt with mini 16 extractor kit and large ground fluting. PTG Tactical bolt knob
Bell & Carlson Medalist Stock (45 oz!)
Factory BDL hinged bottom metal
Factory old style Rem 700 trigger tuned to 3 lbs (had it at 2.5 lbs but it wasn't safe... normally can tuned them to 2.5 lbs safely but this one wasn't up to snuff).
Seekins Precision muzzle brake.

9 lbs 7 oz as you see it.
Add another 6 oz for Seekins Precision base and rings, plus another 23.4 oz for a Vortex PST 6-24 scope and I'll be sitting at 11 lbs 4.4 oz...

I will likely be swapping the stock for a Manners EH1 in the future (bring overall weight down to 10 lbs 2.4 oz). Planning on running the 215 grain Berger Hybrids at get 3100+fps out of them... Shouldn't go subsonic till 2,000+ yards. :)

Mike

Shrek

WKR
Actually , that rifle shouldn't be tooo bad . Standard Remington action and trigger cuts the cost some. That and not spinning the action saves some also.

OP
HellsCanyon
Mike that thing is awesome!

FYI,

There is a new option in FFP MIL/MIL available next week:

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-3-15x42-Tactical-Rifle-Scope-P62238.aspx

Sweet I'll have to look at that further!

Not sure on cost yet, these parts I've gotten in partial trades and what not. Probably somewhere in the 2200-2500 range as you see it.

And yes we did have to spin the action in order to true the face and action lugs. Haven't see any real benefits for trueing raceways or threads and it's a lot more work. This is more of a semi true'd action...

Mike

digger

Lil-Rokslider
Can you tell me more about your choice of cartridge.I'm not familiar with that round.TIA
Killer looking rig,,,it'll shoot for sure.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
When do you want me to pick it up for testing? I know you're busy working, so as a friend I'll do some load development/ testing for free! HAHA!

Looks good Mike! Are you going to work up a load and then sell it or keep it as a demo?

OP
HellsCanyon
The 338 Norma is arguably one of the most efficient chambers of the 338 Family,this is the necked down version. It uses the lapua sized bolt face and is shorter and fatter than other cases with the same powder capacity. Factory brass is also available from Norma. Benefits include being able to run it in a factory long action without being limited to short COAL.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
When do you want me to pick it up for testing? I know you're busy working, so as a friend I'll do some load development/ testing for free! HAHA!

Looks good Mike! Are you going to work up a load and then sell it or keep it as a demo?

Lol! Either way we should definitely get together and do some shooting!

Pretty sure this rifle will be kept as an R&D gun.

I'll tell you one thing, it sure is a big fat chamber! You can easily quick your finger in it from the ejection port.

Mike

OP
HellsCanyon
I thought the b&c medalist comes in around 29 oz? Sweet looking rig!

That's only 2 oz lighter than the new manners elite hunters. I've never seen them advertised that light. I think I've seen them listed around 39 oz but my scale which I use for shipping has this one at 45 oz.

Excited to do some load development on it when my brass n dies get here!

Hardstalk

WKR
We just ordered one for my 264 rebuild. If it comes in at 49 oz I hope they send return postage in the box. Maybe its a different model.

OP
HellsCanyon
We just ordered one for my 264 rebuild. If it comes in at 49 oz I hope they send return postage in the box. Maybe its a different model.

Likely a different model. They are solid built stocks though I really like them, just don't like the weight! ;)

Mike

aron

WKR
I was still surprised with the weight using that stock, 27" sendero contour barrel, and long action. Thinking it would of been heavier.

OP
HellsCanyon
I was still surprised with the weight using that stock, 27" sendero contour barrel, and long action. Thinking it would of been heavier.

I agree it's really not bad right now. Though with another 2 lbs in optic and hardware not to mention a few big shells it'll be pretty hefty. Still lighter than my 280 AI which after the new Seekins bottom metal is up at 13lbs all done up!

Mike

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
ckaz34