Throwing money away at non-resident draws

I love mule deer, but what MT charges for deer is absolutely ridiculous. Aside from being able to buy OTC and hunt the rut, I can’t believe people are willing to pay it.
Before long, any DIY, youth and family hunting non-residents will only get the scraps left over from the ranchers and outfitters. I am not anti non-resident. I like to travel to other states with my family. MT is ostracizing non-resident, family hunting. There is a big market of recruiting non-resident youth. Instead, we are giving additional welfare and subsidy to ranchers and outfitters so they can turn a quick buck on a fat ass rich guy that will only hunt a few more years. We are missing the boat.

Last edited:

Weldor

WKR
Arizona is a rip, have to buy a license to apply. My good friend from Louisana had to wait and pay for 6 years to draw a cow tag. That is some expensive meat. My other pet pive is Michigan Elk, no non-residents. We allow 10% of our tags to non-residents. Like the old days with Kansas , if we can't hunt there they can't hunt here. just my 2 cents. no offense.

Thomas11

WKR
Arizona is a rip, have to buy a license to apply. My good friend from Louisana had to wait and pay for 6 years to draw a cow tag. That is some expensive meat. My other pet pive is Michigan Elk, no non-residents. We allow 10% of our tags to non-residents. Like the old days with Kansas , if we can't hunt there they can't hunt here. just my 2 cents. no offense.
To me Arizona is a must apply state. I’ve drawn two bull tags there. Idk bout all the cow tags but surely there are some that can be drawn easily there.

Weldor

WKR
Just 10% go to non residents, I to know many folks who drawn premium tags without any points. Lived here 40 years, there is no way to predict what the draw outcome will be. The point system here is a joke, someone could have 28 points and someone with 1 or none will draw an early bull tag. Now you have 29 points, that's our system. Gotta love it.

Z Barebow

Lil-Rokslider
Plenty of places to throw away your money. I chose my applications selectively. (Critter/state). Depends upon your age, critter, odds, etc. You need to study each state (and animal) application process separately.

I even buy a few raffle tickets along the way.

I do know money won't be me any good when I am dead.

I am a resident in one state, and non resident in 49 others. After that, too many variables to cover.

Before long, any DIY, youth and family hunting non-residents will only get the scraps left over from the ranchers and outfitters. I am not anti non-resident. I like to travel to other states with my family. MT is ostracizing non-resident, family hunting. There is a big market of recruiting non-resident youth. Instead, we are giving additional welfare and subsidy to ranchers and outfitters so they can turn a quick buck on a fat ass rich guy that will only hunt a few more years....
Actually the only people I know who go on outfitted hunts are in their 20s, 30s, and 40s. All are in very good shape, but live back east and don't have time to scout. And I wouldn't call them rich, they just prioritize hunting. The fat ass rich guys I know DIY, but they don't kill anything, except a bunch of bush lites and handles of titos....Just hiding from their wives and families for a week.

BuzzH

WKR
Just 10% go to non residents, I to know many folks who drawn premium tags without any points. Lived here 40 years, there is no way to predict what the draw outcome will be. The point system here is a joke, someone could have 28 points and someone with 1 or none will draw an early bull tag. Now you have 29 points, that's our system. Gotta love it.
I like AZ's draw system. I've had 4 rifle bull tags, 1 desert sheep tag, a bunch of javelina tags, 4 good rifle coues tags since 2010.

NR's are limited to "up to 10%" but assured no tags.

I haven't drawn a single tag in NV and have been applying for everything for 15-20 years.

Thomas11

WKR
I like AZ's draw system. I've had 4 rifle bull tags, 1 desert sheep tag, a bunch of javelina tags, 4 good rifle coues tags since 2010.

NR's are limited to "up to 10%" but assured no tags.

I haven't drawn a single tag in NV and have been applying for everything for 15-20 years.
I tend to agree on AZs draw system. Good mix of Preference points w the random side as well using bonus pts. They got enough late season elk tags to kinda help curb point creep. NV is really just a pipe dream. I apply there too though. U coulda drawn several deer tags there already though

OP
Short Track
It's a learning experience. You need to learn the system. You need to scout, or hire an outfitter if you draw. As a non-resident, you need a grand plan.

Hntelk

FNG
I love mule deer, but what MT charges for deer is absolutely ridiculous. Aside from being able to buy OTC and hunt the rut, I can’t believe people are willing to pay it.
Before long, any DIY, youth and family hunting non-residents will only get the scraps left over from the ranchers and outfitters. I am not anti non-resident. I like to travel to other states with my family. MT is ostracizing non-resident, family hunting. There is a big market of recruiting non-resident youth. Instead, we are giving additional welfare and subsidy to ranchers and outfitters so they can turn a quick buck on a fat ass rich guy that will only hunt a few more years. We are missing the boat.
Well said, the family with the youth are the future of hunting!