Throwing money away at non-resident draws

Mish-pop

FNG
I’m just starting to build preference points and try for non resident tags at 29. It all feels like a pipe dream!
I'm 31 and I haven't started yet for NR. Don't think I ever will to be honest. Im building them as a resident and even some resident tags are a pipe dream for my state.

WRO

WKR
I'm 31 and I haven't started yet for NR. Don't think I ever will to be honest. Im building them as a resident and even some resident tags are a pipe dream for my state.

Just apply for hunts, not necessarily the best and you can hunt every year. Have a plan and you’ll typically get a tag or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mish-pop

FNG
Just apply for hunts, not necessarily the best and you can hunt every year. Have a plan and you’ll typically get a tag or 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you for the input. MT, CO, and WY would be closest states for me. Which would be best to try and apply? I know CO has OTC and some 1st rifle draws would be easy to get. I would love to try archery but it sounds like it's a zoo there during archery season. I don't mind sharing the woods and all but it just sounds a little much. Also, until I have experience I would forgo wilderness hunts too deep as going solo or possibly with my brother with little to no experience in mountains.

WRO

WKR
Thank you for the input. MT, CO, and WY would be closest states for me. Which would be best to try and apply? I know CO has OTC and some 1st rifle draws would be easy to get. I would love to try archery but it sounds like it's a zoo there during archery season. I don't mind sharing the woods and all but it just sounds a little much. Also, until I have experience I would forgo wilderness hunts too deep as going solo or possibly with my brother with little to no experience in mountains.

I get a tag in NM typically every other year. (I only typically apply when I have schedule open) I typically apply with an outfitter there and don't go crazy on my choices. (2 good archery elk and Oryx this year since 2019)

I do easier to draw elk tags in AZ and typically get one every 4-5 years.

Nevada gives me a cow tag every other year, I usually have a full fall by the time their draw results come out out so I shoot for the moon on those draws.

I hunt point draws in Oregon still and its 1-4 years per elk and deer. (lived there for 20 years so I have some spots) But you can hunt every 3 years for each species base on the tags I chase.

ID I only do OIL which I have already drawn moose. (resident here)

Last edited:

Mish-pop

FNG
I get a tag in NM typically every other year. (I only typically apply when I have schedule open) I typically apply with an outfitter there and don't go crazy on my choices. (2 good archery elk and Oryx this year since 2019)

I do easier to draw elk tags in AZ and typically get one every 4-5 years.

Nevada gives me a cow tag every other year, I usually have a full fall by the time their draw results come out out so I shoot for the moon on those draws.

I hunt point draws in Oregon still and its 1-4 years per elk and deer. (lived there for 20 years so I have some spots) But you can hunt every 3 years.

ID I only do OIL which I have already drawn one. (resident here)
Thank you for the information! Greatly appreciated

williaada

WKR
Arizona is a rip, have to buy a license to apply. My good friend from Louisana had to wait and pay for 6 years to draw a cow tag. That is some expensive meat. My other pet pive is Michigan Elk, no non-residents. We allow 10% of our tags to non-residents. Like the old days with Kansas , if we can't hunt there they can't hunt here. just my 2 cents. no offense.
being from MI not sure most people would enjoy the MI elk hunt. Nothing like being out west.

I'm just now getting into this preference point game. Apparently, I am late to the game as I am 36 years old and have 1 point in Colorado. I was going to get a point in Wyoming this year but have heard they are changing the rules and it might be a waste. One of my main reasons for enjoying places like Colorado is the amount of public ground. You don't have to brown nose anyone to do what you love. Above 90% of my state is private and each year it gets harder and harder to find or keep a hunting property. Not to mention that land prices are 15-30k per acre in my area. I have two boys under 10 years old and want them to be able to hunt and explore God's country. The western states are where we can do this for now. Hopefully it stays that way and we don't get completely priced out or excluded all together.

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
Eelder-
Make sure you get those kids points in Az,co, and wy. Dirt cheap for the kids. Co has youth tags for $100 and Wyoming is not far behind. Az is full price, but if you start them now they’ll have a great tag in a dozen years.
Nm has super high halitosis hunts for youth that are the first season on some units. They kill a lot of nice bulls on those hunts