Thumb Release and Heavy Clothes

BigWoods

WKR
Winter has set in and I'm stubbornly still trying to practice outside so long as the temperature is above ~20 deg. I've been using a thumb release with good results for the past year; I love the consistent anchor and ease of draw. The challenge I've been having is that with heavier clothes on, I'm having a hard time getting the thumb barrel and thumb settled under my jaw line. I can do it, but the pressure my hand exerts on the clothing seems to be sending my arrows about 10" high at 50 yards compared to lighter clothing. I generally wear a pair of light gloves, but that doesn't seem to affect poi either way. Consistency with both is good, routinely shooting ~3-4" four arrow groups at 50 & 60yds.

While I'm currently just practicing/enjoying shooting my bow, both early turkey season and later season archery can get pretty cold around here. Does anyone have a way to dress warm enough and still effectively shoot a hand held release? Should I give up and go with a wrist rocket (recommendations if I do?)?

Thanks!

Last edited:

bat-cave

WKR
I haven't had issues like you are experiencing. I usually try and keep any hoods pushed back off my head when I shoot (even in sub zero temps in KS this season). I just slide it back when I the opportunity ... which has never been an issue for me to date. This is as much so that I can hear as much as to avoid any shooting issues. Not to be snarky, but in my experience, 50 yards during Turkey season has never been necessary and pretty much reserved for followup shot on a deer, so I would push the layers out of the way and let it fly. From your note, it's an issue at 50 yds+ ... Unless you expect to shoot that far versus the exception ... maybe it's not a big deal? My bigger issue is usually keeping hands warm and having to just use a liner on my release hand and keeping it in a muff the rest of the time.

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
I haven't had issues like you are experiencing. I usually try and keep any hoods pushed back off my head when I shoot (even in sub zero temps in KS this season). I just slide it back when I the opportunity ... which has never been an issue for me to date. This is as much so that I can hear as much as to avoid any shooting issues. Not to be snarky, but in my experience, 50 yards during Turkey season has never been necessary and pretty much reserved for followup shot on a deer, so I would push the layers out of the way and let it fly. From your note, it's an issue at 50 yds+ ... Unless you expect to shoot that far versus the exception ... maybe it's not a big deal? My bigger issue is usually keeping hands warm and having to just use a liner on my release hand and keeping it in a muff the rest of the time.
Thanks for the tips! I didn't mean to imply that I plan to sling arrows at turkeys at 50+ yards, but I definitely see how it might be understood that way! :) ...I just do most of my practice at 50-70yds, so that's where I'm noticing it. For turkey, I want them at about 20 yards (maybe 30 tops).

SoDaky

WKR
Solve it with thin,'slippery' face masks like UAs (see Dudley)or Sitka Fanatic hoodie types with the built in thin face masks.This and a thin glove with a handwarmer inside on the back of your hand will take you sub zero easily.

TravisIN

WKR
When it’s cold, or even cool For that matter, I wear first light fingerless tali’s gloves and keep my hands in Sitka hand muff. As cold as it had been lately I’ve been wearing a Sitka traverse glove on my bow hand to keep it warmer while I’m holding it and keep my release hand in the muff until I need to draw. As far as face mask and hat; I wear a the Sitka heavy neck gaiter under my core heavy weight hoody partially zipped up. Before I grab my bow I slide the gaiter down so it’s off my face. The way the hoody is I am able to have access to my face with the hood up. Just have to deal with the cold once I pick my bow up. Usually at that point I’m not concerned wit the cold. That just my system and it works really good for me. Btw I shoot a nock 2 it release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
BigWoods

BigWoods

WKR
When it’s cold, or even cool For that matter, I wear first light fingerless tali’s gloves and keep my hands in Sitka hand muff. As cold as it had been lately I’ve been wearing a Sitka traverse glove on my bow hand to keep it warmer while I’m holding it and keep my release hand in the muff until I need to draw. As far as face mask and hat; I wear a the Sitka heavy neck gaiter under my core heavy weight hoody partially zipped up. Before I grab my bow I slide the gaiter down so it’s off my face. The way the hoody is I am able to have access to my face with the hood up. Just have to deal with the cold once I pick my bow up. Usually at that point I’m not concerned wit the cold. That just my system and it works really good for me. Btw I shoot a nock 2 it release

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The neck gator is a good idea; I've got a merino Buff copy that sits real tight around my face and does a good job of holding collars in place. I'll have to experiment a bit more with it on and see how it goes.

renagde

WKR
I have had really good luck using a Sitka Fanatic jacket with the built in handwarmer. That allows me to keep my release hand naked. Then for headwear, I usually wear the Sitka Apex hoody underneath so i use that facemask along with a Jetstream beanie. I don't have any problems staying warm or getting a consistent shot off.