Thumb Release Help

Wanting to try thumb style release. Seeing what is popular for hunting. There is a few boxes I want checked. 2-3-4 finger option, adjustable trigger travel and or weight, lanyard option, clip on d loop and leave and made in USA. Thanks

I shoot a spot hogg whipper snapper. It has the option of 3 or 4 finger. Open or closed jaw. Far as I know spot hogg is still made in USA.

I have a B3 versa in the classifieds. It's made in USA and can be setup as a 2,3 or 4 finger. Closed head so you can clip it on. Can't remember if it has a lanyard hole or not. I got it in a trade, shot it a few times to ensure it did work.

I have shot same style release for 12 years so I'm no expert on them.

kickemall

WKR
Second the Whipper Snapper and reasonably priced. The Carter Too Simple may be slightly better but twice the price. Not sure if either is USA made.

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot a Stan shootoff. It matches all of your boxes besides having a lanyard option. The reason I mention Stan is because they’re the first company I’ve shot a thumb button from. I got it used from archerytalk and it quit working after 3 weeks. Sent it in to Stan and they fixed it and had it sent back to me in 5 days, all for free. Can’t beat that for customer service, and I love the release itself. I’m sure they would have a release that fits all of the boxes you want.

Bl704

WKR
Wanting to try thumb style release. Seeing what is popular for hunting. There is a few boxes I want checked. 2-3-4 finger option, adjustable trigger travel and or weight, lanyard option, clip on d loop and leave and made in USA. Thanks

For deer I'll clip on. For elk, I favor a lanyard (even a simple paracord) so the release is, well, at hand. I would not trust leaving a release clipped on a loop wandering around the woods.

I have a 4 finger, but after listening to John Dudley and personal experience, I shoot better with less (fingers) contacting the release I.e. 2 fingers.

Like a bow, find a good shop and see if they or others there will let you try various releases.

OP
Y
The Stan Perfex is definitely on the list. Thinking the long neck just in case of gloved hands?? or regulnar length fine? Tried a coworkers Truball Max Pro 4 this weekend. Liked it but trigger needed to be lighter.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
The Stan Perfex is definitely on the list. Thinking the long neck just in case of gloved hands?? or regulnar length fine? Tried a coworkers Truball Max Pro 4 this weekend. Liked it but trigger needed to be lighter.
Stan Perfex Long Neck Heavy Metal. Best release I've ever used. I have 2 of them in case I lose one like I did while hunting last year.

jmez

WKR
Long neck. The regular is really short.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

sjcavy

FNG
I read that the Stan Perfex ran a little small so I bought an XL. Perfect Size for my hands. If you go on their website they have a downloadable sizing chart. Print it out at %100 and then size it to your hands. Worked for me.

I bought the blackout, not the HM, and I really love it. I can see myself getting an HM in the future, but for the hog hunting I do the normal aluminum is perfect.

BTShooter

FNG
I've shot a ton of releases. Just about all of them are built really well, you just need to find what works best for you. Buy them used and just sell what you don't like.

gretch6364

Lil-Rokslider
Lots of great suggestions here. As you can tell, gotta probably try some. If you don't have the ability to do that, go to archery talk and pick up a used one to try out.

When I was searching at the beginning of last season, I settled on the Stan SX3 (three finger) Not one that you can try 2-3-4 fingers on though. You are stuck with what you buy. For me, I believed what a read about 4 fingers being too many...but two seemed like not enough. The SX3 as a spot for the fourth finger to sit if you want.

I bought an aluminum one used from archerytalk first. Liked it a lot and purchased a heavy metal one new. The aluminum is much much lighter and goes in my pack as the backup. The heavy metal feels so much better for me. Almost feels weird when I pick up the lighter one.

The SX3 you can clip on to the string and then there is a hole in the reset button if you wanted a lanyard. Personally, when elk hunting or any other ground hunting with lots of moving...I put it in the side of my bino harness.

OP
Y
So I picked up a large Stan perfex on archery talk. Should see it by Thursday. 3 day weekend I’m sure I will luv it or hate it by end of weekend. Thanks all.