Thumb release or index finger

Yukondog

WKR
So have I always used a index finger release (True Fire Hurricane). I place my thumb behind my neck as one of my anchor points. It is difficult to get the same anchor point when wearing a neck gaitor or a hood.

So, I'm thinking of switching it up and getting a different release. I have never used a thumb release before and wanted some feed back as to how people like them. Seems like you use your knuckles to anchor into your jaw bone. I would think that a gaitor or hood would not get in the way as bad by using a thumb release.

The reason I also want to switch it up is I seem to make unneccesary movements getting my thumb behind my neck. I think I could be smoother with less movement if I change that part of my draw cycle.

What releases should I look at? Any recommendations out there from guys who use this type of release?

Is there another option out there I should also consider?

Do the thumb release type releases come with a wrist strap? Would like to have it attached to my body while hiking around in the mountains. I've seen WT hunters simply attach the release to the bow while in the stand. I would be nerves doing that in the mountains.

Thanks,

Matt

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
YD, pros and cons to each. I shoot a thumb release and engage it with back tension. I don't just pull the trigger. Even with a thumb trigger release you can still get some issues with certain clothing. They do make straps for them that will attach to most releases. My advice is don't buy one, borrow one or get one you can return, try it out and see how you like it. They are oranges compared to the apple you have been shooting. Personally I think you can shoot better with one if you engage it with back tension as it is more of a surprise release. Back tension is not always optimum for hunting situations though, but it is yet to cost me any animal because of it. Good luck....

Not too long ago I switched to a thumb release, and must say I do prefer it. There are some that come with wrist straps, although I either attach it to my loop or put it in my pocket when hunting. I also use back tension to release it.

dotman

WKR
Never tried a thumb release but the concept just seems like it would be awkward when I think about it.

Lawnboi

WKR
I got into the thumb release thing this year and im glad i did. I am still getting used to it after shooting an index for a while but i like it.

I picked up a carter simple 1 last year.

The thing i like most about it, is i dont have a release hanging off my hand all the time when im trying to crawl or do whatever. I can either clip it on my loop and let it hang there. Or stick it in my pocket. Its not dragging in the dirt that way, and releases can be pretty loud when your clanking them on rocks or your bow.

I engage with backtension as well, its easier with a thumb not to smack the trigger imo

ckleeves

WKR
You can build wrist straps out of para cord pretty easily that work well. I shoot one for practice and shooting 3-D but I have never hunted with one. It would take some getting used to for me to try hunting with one.

I have both and use both. Thumb releases are legit. And make you shoot better and more accurate. I will switch between the two periodically. Typically hunt with the index release although I shot my bear and elk this year using the thumb release. It worked great.
Index- Carter lucky
Thumb- Carter Just B cuz

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
While there are a few good index finger releases out there, generally speaking you're going to get a much higher quality release mechanism with most thumb trigger releases. They use a double sear mechanism that eliminates almost all travel in the trigger so you're getting something more equivalent to a jeweled target trigger. You can adjust the trigger tension with different springs and if adjusted properly you will never feel the trigger move. I only use thumb trigger style releases.

I also think there are a lot of varibles involved with a thumb on the back of the neck anchor point - so even if you decide to stick with a wrist strap, you might consider anchoring on the back of your jaw and keeping your thumb wrapped on the strap.

DC

Last edited:

swat8888

WKR
I've never shot a thumb release. Does it increase difficulty of drawing any? I would imagine its just something to get used to as with my strap release I pull without engaging any muscles in my hand since it is attached to my wrist. Any difficult with pulling the release while having to use hand strength to hang onto the release?

Lawnboi

WKR
I've never shot a thumb release. Does it increase difficulty of drawing any? I would imagine its just something to get used to as with my strap release I pull without engaging any muscles in my hand since it is attached to my wrist. Any difficult with pulling the release while having to use hand strength to hang onto the release?

Its not hard, it does take a little getting used to.

But to me atleast, its much more natural drawing with a closed fist. Actually when i shot a strap style release i drew with my fist closed then opened my hand to anchor. Now i just grab the handle and go right to my anchor point.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Lol...figured you would like that. I played with a thumb release some this summer, but it was too close to hunting season to switch. I was shooting the Spot Hogg 3 finger whipper snapper. I like the release, but my fingers got a little sore. Is this normal? Maybe I wasn't holding in the correct location. Also, I haven't figured out the best way to attach it to my wrist yet. I have heard of one guy that used a big loop of paracord or something and put it over his neck like a lanyard and then he could grab it. When crawling around I would need it to be handy if I was going to hunt with it. What are you doing Roy?

bohntr

WKR
Matt:

Having sore fingers after shooting a release is something I would not consider to be normal. I'm using a Truball ST360X release. I have a wrist sling attached to mine (small diameter cord with crimp style adjuster) as designed. Never really gets in the way and always on my wrist when I need it.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt I would think your release is to small for you. The whipper snapper is pretty small in size so if your hand may be feeling the radius curves much more. You should shoot several before giving up on the idea. Spot Hogg also makes a lanyard for their thumb releases you can get. I personally don't use one, I just keep it in my pocket when hunting and have never had an issue.

Matt Palmquist

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks guys! After season I will use it more and see what happens. I would have to have it attached to my body some how because I would be afraid that it might fall out of my pocket and then I would be SOL....

LoneStar

Lil-Rokslider
Carter Chocolate Addiction thumb release. Shot a index release for years before switching and it has definitely improved my release. I made a wrist sling for it, but I prefer to put it in my pocket while hiking around.

Rent Outdoor Gear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Lol...figured you would like that. I played with a thumb release some this summer, but it was too close to hunting season to switch. I was shooting the Spot Hogg 3 finger whipper snapper. I like the release, but my fingers got a little sore. Is this normal? Maybe I wasn't holding in the correct location. Also, I haven't figured out the best way to attach it to my wrist yet. I have heard of one guy that used a big loop of paracord or something and put it over his neck like a lanyard and then he could grab it. When crawling around I would need it to be handy if I was going to hunt with it. What are you doing Roy?

It's definitely normal IF...

You are shooting more than normal or if you haven't been shooting this style of release much. You will develop caluses very specific to your release over time. A lot of wrist strap shooters have caluses around their wrists at certain pressure points. It's very common to feel a bit of soreness. Obviously you don't want to have to cram your fingers into the release, so if there's a fit issue that needs to be addressed.