Thumb release orientation

Shraggs

WKR
Those that use a thumb release, do you rotate towards you ending up with thumb down?

I do/did, but developed some muscle or tendon discomfort at the base of my bicep - traced back to rotating as I pull string back.

Wondering if anyone has shot them thumb up and knuckles against your anchor point/face?

wapitibob

WKR
If you’re turning your hand enough to notice any rotation I’d change how I anchored. My release hand feels level at anchor but is actually maybe 30 degrees, thumb side down

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Many people do what you are describing. People shoot it from the release completely vertical and thumb down to completely horizontal. I would say you shouldn’t think much about it and just come to your anchor as naturally as possible. That way it is repeatable.

TravisIN

WKR
Get on YouTube and search “nockon”. Dudley has some videos on this subject. He coaches to have your release hand mirror the angle of your grip hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWOHTR

WKR
Mine's almost horizontal, with my thumb arced back like a hitchhiker's thumb, first crease (i.e. solid bone) on the knurling of the thumb button.

wadegarrett

Lil-Rokslider
Maybe try a few anchors until it feels natural. You may also want to give it a shot wearing different clothes, ie collared or hooded shirts. Sometimes a certain position can get your thumb/trigger hung up in fabric.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
Thanks guys! I’ve been shooting thumb down for years and like it. But I start out pulling string back with thumb up and rotate down during draw back and developed a bicep pain.

After taking some time off I tried thumb up as a start draw and hated it! Then I draw back and waited to rotate down was I was at the wall. Felt better just not as quick.

Going to check that video and try horizontal position too if it will clear my jawbone!

Thanks

Thanks guys! I’ve been shooting thumb down for years and like it. But I start out pulling string back with thumb up and rotate down during draw back and developed a bicep pain.

After taking some time off I tried thumb up as a start draw and hated it! Then I draw back and waited to rotate down was I was at the wall. Felt better just not as quick.

Going to check that video and try horizontal position too if it will clear my jawbone!

Thanks
Why wouldn't you just draw with thumb down to start with?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Sounds like you might be developing golfer/tennis/archers elbow. I got it from pull ups and swimming too often haha. Look up Theraband it saved me! I was able to swim again after the first use.

OP
S

Shraggs

WKR
I never was comfortable with thumb down drawing for some reason. Still aren’t.

Your right, it actually is a form of tennis elbow. Probably compounded with weight training. Good point cause I have a band I could use from years ago!

Feeling better with what I’ve adjusted to by not rotating while drawing. Tonight I drew back with hand horizontal and anchored that way too and I like it. Going to fly that way for a few hundred arrows.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
I never was comfortable with thumb down drawing for some reason. Still aren’t.

Your right, it actually is a form of tennis elbow. Probably compounded with weight training. Good point cause I have a band I could use from years ago!

Feeling better with what I’ve adjusted to by not rotating while drawing. Tonight I drew back with hand horizontal and anchored that way too and I like it. Going to fly that way for a few hundred arrows.
I had a fore arm band for a bit but its just a bandaid. The Theraband is a piece of rubber that you use to do some exercises to strengthen the ligaments. It takes about 5 mins a day and it works. You also won't have to wear a band on your arm anymore. It's $20 on Amazon.