Thumb release questions

Cosidering going to a thumb release (Stan SX3 or Carter Wise Guy) for hunting, indoor leagues, and 3D in 2017. Any body have any advice on how to make the switch? Currently shooting with aTru-Fire huricane wrist strap style.

Ingo

Lil-Rokslider
Cosidering going to a thumb release (Stan SX3 or Carter Wise Guy) for hunting, indoor leagues, and 3D in 2017. Any body have any advice on how to make the switch? Currently shooting with aTru-Fire huricane wrist strap style.
I switched from a Scott little-bitty goose, to a Scott Exxus. I tried out a Carter Chocolate Addiction and Lite, and a Stan Shootoff. I really liked them all but the Exxus just felt the most comfortable.

There was a learning curve and I had to tune my bow differently to get clean arrow flight. I punched myself in the mouth twice. But I can execute a surprise release much easier with a hand-held. I get to full-draw and start squeezing my shoulders back while letting my release hand relax and rotate a tiny bit until it fires. If you are prone to punching/target panic it won't cure it but if you dedicate yourself to practicing a system to make a clean, surprise release it can elevate your shooting ability. I'm still iffy on hunting with it though. I've had to make quick, crouched shots hunting where I don't know if I would have appreciated a hand-held in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

WKR
I use the Carter Attraction. I can fire it "surprise" with tension, or command depending on how much I pull into the back wall before pressing the safety. Being able to fire the same release in different ways keeps my brain confused enough to not anticipate or punch the trigger. I also have 2 of the same release, set to different tensions so I switch back and forth.

If my brain knows what's coming, it will inevitably start to anticipate the shot.

Like others said, it's a learning curve. Keep your thumb behind the trigger as you draw as your natural tendency is to want to use it to draw. If you go to RCR archery and look up his blog, he just wrote an article about using a thumb release and multiple ways of executing your shot with them. I'm new to the thumb release game myself as I've been shooting a hinge all summer but that article is pretty in depth and a good read for us rookies.

OP
M
Thanks for the responses so far. I'll check out RCR Archery. It's probably my head getting in the way, just seems like a big step going to a totally different style.

It's just a matter of making the switch and being dedicated to it. It'll feel foreign but it becomes more natural as you continue shooting. If you think you might possibly make the switch to a hinge someday you might want to consider getting a thumb release that matches a hinge like a Tru-Ball Fulkrum/Abyss combo. Practice with the hinge and hunt with the thumb idea. I got my hinge for a good price back in May just to have one to play with, even though I was intending to switch to a thumb for hunting. Now I'm seriously considering just hunting with the hinge. Keep an eye on the classifieds on Archerytalk. I got both my thumb (Tru-ball Incredible) and hinge (Carter Honey 2) for about half of the price they cost new.

HookUp

WKR
I just picked up a Carter Nock 2 it from Nock On and the thing feels foreign after shooting a strap. I'm not going to advise how to shoot a thumb release, but I will say to the OP commit to learning several different releases and shoot them all. Randy Ulmer shoots about 7 different releases to keep his brain from getting to comfortable. I'm up to 4 releases and shoot them all, right now I feel this is the best thing going for my shooting.

Currerntly shoting
Hamskea Drop Tine
Carter Nock 2 it
Spott Hogg wise guy solid connect
Scott Samuri

If I was hunting tomorrow it would be a toss up between the Scott Samuri and Wise guy, I love the Hamskea because it has minimal trigger travel and if you dont use good form you will pay.

Mmcan

WKR
Switched last year and really am glad I did, primarily bc my anchor point is now rock solid and rapidly reproducible/repeatable. I tuck the space between knuckles of my index and middle finger right between the angle of my jaw and the lower part of my mastoid bone.

You asked about a thumb release, not really a hinge/back tension style. I use a True Ball Fang 4 finger. I really like it. I agree that you have to keep your thumb behind the trigger when drawing, and then put it into position once anchored.

My only complaint about them is they seem expensive for what they really are. Probably have a ridiculous mark-up from cost of production. But I still buy them!

Is it recommended to go with a hinge style before a thumb trigger then?
It's not necessarily recommended, it just ends up being for a lot of guys that a hinge/backtension style release ends up being the next step once you shoot a thumb release. It's just a progression towards achieving that surprise shot. After my time at the range last night I've decided to hunt with my hinge this year even though I told myself I never would. The reason I suggested the Fulkrum/Abyss combo is that if/when you go to a hinge style release that the release, that the feel of the actual release in your hand is the same between the two styles.

OP
M
Sound like I should also start researching hinge releases. Any suggestions on hinge releases that will closely match the 2 thumb styles I am considering?

A Carter Honey should feel close to the Wise Choice. Honestly I'd really recommend that you not buy a hinge and thumb release at the same time. The only reason I brought it up was incase you see yourself eventually moving to a hinge release. It will take you a while to get use to a thumb release. A hinge will normally take a couple of months to get back to the accuracy you get with a wrist strap if you're dedicated to learning to use one.

Boreal

WKR
I made the switch from a WiseGuy to a Stan's JustX. I shoot the 3-finger Xstatic. I found myself anticipating and punching shots with the WiseGuy and was looking for a way to mix things up and get out of that habit. There are a few things to look out for. +1 on putting your thumb under the release while drawing, then move it around front once you are settled in your anchor point. I hook my thumb nail under the pad of my index finger while drawing to make sure I maintain a good grip on the release, otherwise you may find your release flying halfway down the range. Don't ask me how I know. I find it a lot easier to get a consistent anchor point with the hand held, and I'm also working on switching back and forth between "squeezing the beer can" and "relaxing the hand" methods of shooting. You will find which one works best for you, and keeps you from punching. Be prepared for your group sizes to get much wider for a while until you get that consistency down. Then start shooting at multiple dots or get a good fletching jig.

Jay03

WKR
I have a brand new Stan SX3 large 4 finger with training lock that I am going to sell if you are interested. I prefer the shootoff in 3 finger but I had to try and SX3 because I am curious like that.