Thumb release recommendations for hunting

SPARKY418

FNG
Hello,
I’m considering switching from a tru-fire edge index release to a thumb style and know nothing about them…any thoughts on the Stan Perfex Thumb or the Nock 2 it?
How do they work while wearing thin gloves? (I hunt in northern MN)
appreciate any first hand knowledge!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use a trufire synapse, but only because it matches with my trufure sear,

Its fairly crisp and feels good in my hands. I like the heavier weight of both these releases - for reference, I wear an xl glove and usually they are a little tight on me

I live in saskatchewan and generally wear half finger gloves, i haven't had any issues at all

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

check ebay or archery talk classifieds if you can find a used one you often can sell it for what you paid for if you dont like it.

ZDR

WKR
I have both a Stan perfex and the nock2it. They are both great and surprisingly have the same point of impact for me. The nock2it works better with gloves for me. The Stan large is just right w bare hand, but tight w thin gloves.

Johbran

Lil-Rokslider
Just switched over to the Stan Perfex, harvested a buck this year using it. I love the multiple configurations and adjustments. You can make to make it for you perfectly.

I have a Cobra thumb release that I started using this season and really love it. Super crisp and highly adjustable. I got it through guidefitter.com at a solid discount.

I shoot a Stan SX3, usually with gloves while hunting. I don’t notice a difference w/ or w/o gloves. Choose the right size release though. Stan has a figment guide that you can print out. However, I’d choose the PerfeX over the SX3 because of adjustability, plus you can opt for the resistance version as well. I train some with the Stan Element, which is close, but doesn’t quite match the geometry of the SX3.

I think it's going to depend on how you have them setup. I shoot a perfex some, but it's set with the peg at the base of my thumb, where it meets the palm. A glove would change that feel a bit I believe. Also going to depend on how heavy or light you have it set.

Set it up with the button out to just smack with your thumb probably won't notice, but that's not the best way to use them.

The Stan seems to run small to me. I wear large gloves, use medium releases a lot, but prefer the xl in the perfex.

I haven't messed with the nock 2-it or really much of any Carter releases.

Another Stan SX3 user here. Also got an element to keep me honest and am trying to pick up a blackjack to complete the trio. I still keep a wrist rocket in the truck but haven’t touched it in a couple years. Watch the AT classifieds, I’ve grabbed my releases for about half price.

OP
S

SPARKY418

FNG
Thank you everyone for the input and recommendations! Very helpful.
Take care

Brizzle

FNG
Stan perfex is hands down the best thumb release ever made. Make sure when you switch you move your peep up, otherwise you’ll be anchoring in correctly. Might even need to go 1/2” longer draw. One of the pros of buying in a shop is they’ll more than likely help you set it up, show you how to use it properly and maybe even take care of the peep or draw length adjustments too.

AkRyan

WKR
I switched to a carter wise choice this year and I have fallen in love. I was concerned about hunting with it but after I took a deer I realized I didn't even think about it being a thumb and not a trigger. Hardest thing with them is relaxing your hand to pull through instead of closing your hand to make the shot go off.

TX_Diver

WKR
I shoot a nock2it

Have no other frame of reference but it works for me and fits perfectly in the side of my bino harness. You can close it on the string too which is nice.

cured_ham

WKR
I have shot a Nock2It over a year and loved it. I had zero complaints.

I picked up a Stan Perfex LN and think I like it a little more. Need some time with it to verify but I like the adjustability.