Thumb Release Suggestions

George Hamrick

Lil-Rokslider
Considering trying a thumb release for next season. What are some hunting options that people are using and having success with? Does anyone know of any places in OH where a person could go give different releases a try before buying?

Carter makes some really good releases (I have the wise choice)if your shooting true back tension style biggest deal is to have zero creep in the trigger engagement. Makes sure it has an adjustment for travel as well as pressure if that makes sense and I got the 3 finger rather than a 4 finger. More fingers are more points of variability but the 3 is a good middle ground especially if your new to handheld releases to not have a death grip on a two finger cause you feel like your about to shoot it through your riser. Also avoid the cheaper thumb releases as I learned the hard way.

Zac

WKR
Pretty much anything from Carter, Stan, B3, or Truball. Just make sure you don't get the caliper type that does not use a sear. I think Truball is the only brand that makes one of those.

stitchesdraw

Lil-Rokslider
I love my carter 3 finger WISE CHOICE !!
Tried several and that little gem just fit like a fine set of brass knuckles lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bowuntr

WKR
Make me an offer... Ed F

Johnboy

WKR
Considering trying a thumb release for next season. What are some hunting options that people are using and having success with? Does anyone know of any places in OH where a person could go give different releases a try before buying?
I use the Stanislawski Just X. I like it for a few reasons: it clips onto a string loop and can be left hanging there (good for treestand), has a match-grade trigger (breaks like glass, zero creep), and has a very short neck (minimizes draw length reduction).

Archerytalk classifieds are a great place to pick up used releases cheap. If you don’t like it, sell it for what you paid and try something else. I got a Stan SX3 and Element for what one of them costs new by itself. The SX3 and Shootoff are great releases but I like the grip angle of the SX3 better.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I switched to a thumb release two years ago. I tried a couple different Carter releases (don’t recall which models) and a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper (3 finger, closed jaw). I preferred, kept, and continue to use the Whipper Snapper. Half the price of the Carters I sent back as well. I love that little Whipper Snapper.

Zac

WKR
I switched to a thumb release two years ago. I tried a couple different Carter releases (don’t recall which models) and a Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper (3 finger, closed jaw). I preferred, kept, and continue to use the Whipper Snapper. Half the price of the Carters I sent back as well. I love that little Whipper Snapper.
How much tension can you put on that one? Is it a hair trigger like the Wiseguy?

Zac

WKR
Make me an offer... Ed F

Aren't these all tension activated releases?

bowuntr

WKR
Aren't these all tension activated releases?
No. The Evolution is a tension release that I use for training. It's basically a 3 finger Silverback. The Sensation is a barrel thumb release.... not a tension release. Both are identical in size and barrel position. A great combo to work on a surprise release and improve your shooting. Ed F

Reactions: Zac

Rodéo

WKR
No. The Evolution is a tension release that I use for training. It's basically a 3 finger Silverback. The Sensation is a barrel thumb release.... not a tension release. Both are identical in size and barrel position. A great combo to work on a surprise release and improve your shooting. Ed F
Buy with confidence from bowuntr. Good guy. Bought a silverback from him a while back and I'm loving it.

If the sensation for sale was a closed hinge I'd have bought it already. GLWS @bowuntr and good luck on your search OP.

How much tension can you put on that one? Is it a hair trigger like the Wiseguy?

I have mine set very light. I have several set exactly the same. If you want I can play with it to see how cold I can get the trigger.

Yeah another vote for the whipper snapper. You can purchase an open and closed jaw and be money ahead of many of the others. I have shot spot hogg Friday nights for over 10 years, switched to whipper snapper this year. They just do what I need.

Marble

WKR
I use the TRU BALL GOAT. It converts from a hinge to a thumb so I can shoot it how I want. I like the adjustments it has and how you can configure the "button or trigger" at different angles or sizes.

If you want to try different releases, go to your local shop and talk to them. Just make sure to give them your business when you decide.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
I use the TRU BALL GOAT. It converts from a hinge to a thumb so I can shoot it how I want. I like the adjustments it has and how you can configure the "button or trigger" at different angles or sizes.

If you want to try different releases, go to your local shop and talk to them. Just make sure to give them your business when you decide.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Been thinking about picking up the Goat for a while. How do you like the hinge function. I have an HT, is it similar?

PhlyanPan

FNG
Pretty much anything from Carter, Stan, B3, or Truball. Just make sure you don't get the caliper type that does not use a sear. I think Truball is the only brand that makes one of those.
Sorry to threadjack but I've been looking at the same thing. Can you explain why not to get a caliper type?