Thumb release?

evan711

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at trying some thumb releases. I was looking at a carter wise choice and Scott sigma. Anybody have experience with these or any other recommendations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Used a Wise Choice for about 6 months this past year. I really liked it at first, but struggled to be consistent with it. It's a commitment. Just know that you can punch a thumb release the same as an index release.

I hated hunting with it. It was one more thing that I had to carry. I'd set it down and have to look for it before moving.

Went back to an index release and my groups improved. Plus I prefer having it attached to me.

OutdoorsMD

Lil-Rokslider
Stan Perfex heavy metal is my favorite of the several I have tried. Lots of good options out their depending on your hand size and the way you anchor. I personally like being able to rotate the thumb trigger 45 degrees.

RMM

WKR
I have tried several Carters including the Wise Choice. My biggest problem with the thumb style releases is my damn collar/hood being in the way while at full draw. I have since gone to the TRUball GO2 using the pinky and wont be looking back.

WKR
I really like my Spott Hogg Whipper Snapper. I have the open jaw version with a paracord loop on it so it stays attached to my wrist. The most important thing for me in a thumb release is that it resets when you push the thumb trigger forward. Some of the older ones I used didn't do that and it was a pain to hook them up, especially on closed-jaw models.

I love my Stan SX3. If it were out at the time that I bought m two SX3’s, I probably would have gone with a Stan PerfeX. I’ve stimulated considered it.

Another vote for the SX3. Recently picked up a morex hinge to play with and really liking it. My stan element will likely be for sale soon.

Lowg08

WKR
Learning to shoot a thumb button can be a bad experience without correct explanation. Load the thumb and let all the muscle tension go. You should start feeling the wrist joint open and it should go off

I love both my Stan sx3 and shootoff. Lots of adjustability and all together great releases.

Another vote for the SX3. Recently picked up a morex hinge to play with and really liking it. My stan element will likely be for sale soon.

I train with the Element, then switch to the SX3. Stan makes the PerfeX in a thumb and a resistance version, both with the same geometry. I wish they had those PerfeX when I got into them.

Dead eye BT

Lil-Rokslider
I really like my Spot Hogg Whipper Snapper. My Daughter tried a couple different Carter models before she decided she preferred my Whipper Snapper and bought one for herself. We’re both running closed jaw versions.

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Stan PerfeX !! Extremely customizable, locks on string and has been flawless for me. Also was able to get exact same one in a resistance for practice and form training.

Venom One

WKR
I've used the Carter Wise Choice for 4 yrs and have no complaints. I've looked at other options for backup purposes (and just to try something else), but I keep coming back to the Wise Choice for two reasons:

1. The way the jaws close - just push a button and you're DONE. This feature is HUGE to me because it's quick and efficient. None of that nonsense where you push a locking lever and then have to manually close the jaws with one finger while you hang onto the release with your other fingers so it doesn't fall. Are you kidding? A $200+ release and you have to manually close the jaws? I'll take the simple button push every day.

2. The finger hole - it'll save you from dropping it.

GL in your search.

CJ19

WKR
Looking at trying some thumb releases. I was looking at a carter wise choice and Scott sigma. Anybody have experience with these or any other recommendations.

I would recommend trying the one you think you are going buy out before dumping a bunch of money. I thought i was going to switch to a thumb release and ended up hating it. Obviously some people really like them. Good luck.

Ergonomics make the biggest difference for me with handheld releases. Both angle/sweep and number of fingers. No way to figure that out other than trying some different models.
I’ve bought and sold a lot over 5 or so years finally to a place I think I like what I have and use. I’ve matched up thumb, tension and hinge of different models that shoot to same point of impact. That allows me to keep my shots a surprise but hunt with a thumb and if necessary a hinge.