Thumb release

Ok, I am looking to make a switch from the trigger release to a thumb release. I was wondering if I could get some help here. I have been watching youtube and reading a lot. I see the wise, and Stan are pretty much always near the top of people's choices. I have big hands, so I would assume I would go with a 3/4 finger.
Before I even take it to the range or the field I would practice at home with a home device to get use to it and become good with it. Then move to my bow and shoot arrows with it.

Following along. I made the switch two years ago and started getting some target panic going on so switched back. I'd like to give it another go, maybe I just didn't have good gear.

OP
Lingcod907
What caused the target panic? I know sometimes you don't know, but sometimes you do.

What caused the target panic? I know sometimes you don't know, but sometimes you do.
No idea but it was super noticeable when I was using the thumb, and went away switching back. I could shoot really good groups sometimes. I also sailed an arrow 10' over a buck's back drawing super slowly and dragged the thumb over my facemask at almost full draw. That one was a chipshot too, still salty over that!

Whisky

WKR
Weird. I made the drastic choice to switch to a thumb release 2 weeks before season, because of TP with the index release getting worse all summer. My TP mostly disappeared instantly. Granted, I had to move a peep, adjust the sight and feel like my DL is too short, but that's small potatoes compared to TP 😀

IdahoBeav

WKR
No idea but it was super noticeable when I was using the thumb, and went away switching back. I could shoot really good groups sometimes. I also sailed an arrow 10' over a buck's back drawing super slowly and dragged the thumb over my facemask at almost full draw. That one was a chipshot too, still salty over that!
Try this one. It's a hinge release on a strap/rope. It's highly adjustable. It requires pulling the trigger a long distance before the shot goes off, and as I mentioned, this can be adjusted as applicable to your level of TP and bad habits.

As for OP, I personally hunt with a Stan hinge. If I were going to do a thumb style, I would pick something from the Stan or Carter lineups. Keep in mind that hunting with a handheld requires storing the release somewhere that is quickly and quietly accessed and won't fall off while you're hiking. It's no fun getting ready to draw on an animal and not having a release or being able to access it in time.

I noticed at first I'd get some pretty real target panic when I switched stayed with it and learned to trust the float after awhile my pin float got rock steady as well switching back and forth with a hinge really helped and I actually shoot the hing way more consistent now

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Brizzle

FNG
Be sure to have your peep moved, if you switch from an index release to a thumb release your peep needs to come up or it will cause you to anchor incorrectly. Also be sure to set off the release using your 1st or second knuckle. Otherwise you’ll probably be punchy and or develop some form of target panic. I was taught to make an “ok” hand gesture around the trigger after I’ve drawn and anchored, if that makes any sense. The tip of my thumb and index finger are touching. Obviously keep your thumb far away from the trigger when drawing. Also by wrapping your thumb around the trigger and burying the thumb button deep into your knuckle you can practice using back tension more when executing your shots. Hopefully this makes sense, it’s a lot easier to show someone than tell them. Also Stans is the only way to go, fully adjustable and several sizes available.

I can shoot my Carter like mike and my 4 finger insatiable interchangeably and switch often and sometimes use a hinge. Just keep changing it up to avoid TP. Never had an issue with it till about the last 10 years. I always start my practice sessions now with blank bale shooting for about 10 to 20 arrows. I notice a huge difference the remainder of the session, and my groups have gotten tighter as a result. I've been looking at the UV button and hinge, but am a pretty loyal Carter guy at this point. I do still use the index release for hunting, but keep the thumb with me as a backup. Potato, I have done the same thing. Brushed my collar with the thumb and sent one over the target. Might be set a bit too hot :) If your thumb is giving you TP, try lightening up the trigger pull a bit. Mine was doing the same thing as it was taking waaayyyy too long to fire. Also noticed this year that I no longer use the fourth finger, so next release will be a three finger.

jmez

WKR
Anywhere you can go handle a few? I have big hands and I prefer a 3 finger. 4 finger just doens't feel right. I shoot the Stan Perfex. Nice thumb release, can't really go wrong with them. They come with both a 3 and 4 finger attachement.

The other nice thing about he Stan is they have a lock function. You can put them on the string, draw and fire but they don't let the string go. They click to let you know when they fired. Great for practice.

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Ok, I am looking to make a switch from the trigger release to a thumb release. I was wondering if I could get some help here. I have been watching youtube and reading a lot. I see the wise, and Stan are pretty much always near the top of people's choices. I have big hands, so I would assume I would go with a 3/4 finger.
Before I even take it to the range or the field I would practice at home with a home device to get use to it and become good with it. Then move to my bow and shoot arrows with it.

I have a Carter Wise Choice and a Stan Onnex tension release and you can’t go wrong with either platform IMO. As a relatively new archery switching between releases; I am beginning to prefer the way the Carter feels in my hand which I think is a byproduct of finish. The glossy finish of the Carter simply slides better as I settle into my anchor and pull/rotate through the shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
Anywhere you can go handle a few? I have big hands and I prefer a 3 finger. 4 finger just doens't feel right. I shoot the Stan Perfex. Nice thumb release, can't really go wrong with them. They come with both a 3 and 4 finger attachement.

The other nice thing about he Stan is they have a lock function. You can put them on the string, draw and fire but they don't let the string go. They click to let you know when they fired. Great for practice.

Completely personal opinion: the lock feature is highly overrated as the “pin” for the lock function interfered with my anchor. It was however helpful in training a consistent anchor for a newb but once I removed the pin I found my groups to be much more consistent.

If you are the kind of person that can take a tiny part off a release and not lose it, I’m sure it’s fantastic!

Elkhntr08

WKR
Target panic has nothing to do with the release that’s in your hand. It’s all in your head, literally.
By switching releases, you’re just tricking your mind for a short period of time. Work on the fundamentals with a release that’s comfortable to you. Aiming and pulling through are a couple good places to start.
BTW, I went from using a Mongoose for 30 years to a Wise Choice this spring. It’s worked out well for me so far.

I used the Fang 4 for a year or so and liked it, went to buy another one so I could have a back up and it’s discontinued.

Bit the bullet and got a Ultraview thumb button, it is lighter than my Fang 4, not sure I shoot any better with it for it costing 3x as much, but only have 30 or so arrows on it so far.

OP
Lingcod907
I used the Fang 4 for a year or so and liked it, went to buy another one so I could have a back up and it’s discontinued.

Bit the bullet and got a Ultraview thumb button, it is lighter than my Fang 4, not sure I shoot any better with it for it costing 3x as much, but only have 30 or so arrows on it so far.

They are proud of that Ultraview. It does look nice, but that price.

I just picked up a Carter Wise Choice, I haven’t shot it yet but I’m in the same boat as you wanting to switch up releases to a thumb. I’ve been using a resistance release but finding reliable anchor points has been tough. I’ll report back on the Carter.

Target panic has nothing to do with the release that’s in your hand. It’s all in your head, literally.
By switching releases, you’re just tricking your mind for a short period of time. Work on the fundamentals with a release that’s comfortable to you. Aiming and pulling through are a couple good places to start.
^^^ This needs to be stated several times.

I shot a wrist rocket for a long time and just started to not like it. I’ve been shooting a hinge and thumb for about 12 years now. I much prefer drawing back with these, the arm angle is much more natural and easy feeling on shoulder and back.

If you make it a habit to draw a thumb button with your thumb behind the trigger and not on it, thumb and pointer touching making an “okay” sort of sign, don’t move thumb to the trigger until you have your pins on the target and you’ll never have an accidental release.

Venom One

WKR
Following along. I made the switch two years ago and started getting some target panic going on so switched back. I'd like to give it another go, maybe I just didn't have good gear.

The best thing I've found for TP is:
1, Draw, but DON'T shoot.​
a. Draw, focus on form, use a BIG point of aim (make it really easy), hold for ~1min, then let down.​
2. Repeat these dry runs until the urge to punch the trigger are gone.​
a. This happens pretty quickly because the mind stops associating a draw with a requirement to shoot.​
b. You'll automatically start to reduce the target size as you do these dry runs because holding on-target becomes easy again - the brain isn't in panic mode​
c. Once it's easy to hold on-target again, the urgency to punch the trigger (TP) disappears​
3. Randomly do dry runs and shooting​
a. You shouldn't feel any panic at this point, but remind your brain that pulling the trigger is an option - not a must.​
4. This has worked every time for me and only takes 1-2 sessions​

Last edited:

Venom One

WKR
I just picked up a Carter Wise Choice, I haven’t shot it yet but I’m in the same boat as you wanting to switch up releases to a thumb. I’ve been using a resistance release but finding reliable anchor points has been tough. I’ll report back on the Carter.

The Wise Choice has been good for me.

Dudley has some really good instructional videos regarding form and anchor points if you're interested.

Venom One

WKR

Your brand choice is up to you - there are lots of good options - but style is most important IMO. By style I mean whether it's a clip-on or hinge style release.

Hinges are GREAT for training and practice, but I wouldn't hunt with one. Hinges only have a hook so you'll never be able to clip them onto the D-loop. Personally, I want the option to clip my release onto the D-loop and let it hang there. If I'm in a stand, it's clipped on all the time. When I'm closing in on a shot, it gets clipped on so my hand is free to use the binos, range finder, move branches, etc. Trying to hold onto a release while using binos or RF is a no-go for me. Just something to consider as you make the transition. I did this many years ago and never looked back.