Thumb Release

tduex

FNG
Hey guys,

I’m looking at moving to a thumb release for next season, because of all the great things I have heard about them. I currently have a true fire caliper style wrist release. I haven’t had a problem with using it, but I see many people are switching. So there has to be a reason for people to switch. I know the saying goes, “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it,” but will a thumb release help with learning to shoot a bow better and more accurately more consistently?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

big44a4

WKR
Hey guys,

I’m looking at moving to a thumb release for next season, because of all the great things I have heard about them. I currently have a true fire caliper style wrist release. I haven’t had a problem with using it, but I see many people are switching. So there has to be a reason for people to switch. I know the saying goes, “if it isn’t broke don’t fix it,” but will a thumb release help with learning to shoot a bow better and more accurately more consistently?

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks

I think so. Not because a thumb release is better. But for me it’s easier to execute the shot properly with a thumb release. Learn how to get surprise shot by pulling through to execute the shot. I’d say my groups and accuracy definitely improved when I switched over. However it is still just as easy to squeeze thumb and punch it.

Also I was using a Scott index with a very light trigger and didn’t have Allen wrench small enough to try to adjust sensitivity.

ontarget7

WKR
It’s really personal preference. I shoot a hinge, thumb and index finger well but still prefer my tried and true exceptionally consistent index finger release.
I think there are many other areas to focus in on as far as being more accurate than a particular release. All releases should be fired with the same form in mind so one does not punch the trigger. Anchor, effective draw length, reference points may vary slightly from the different releases but the firing principles applied will remain the same regardless of style of release.

Jbehredt

WKR
Lots of people use it to temporarily hide their flinching, trigger punching, target panic issues. I can’t get over the idea that at the moment of truth I’m going to be fumbling around in my pocket looking for my release and miss an opportunity. My archery is purely hunting driven so I stick with a release that is always either on my wrist or tied to my bow grip. If I start getting flinchy I have a hinge release that I practice with to get my shot sequence settled back down.

Gumbo

WKR
I love the way a thumb release feels while drawing and anchoring/holding. I will not likely go back to a wrist strap, it just isn't as comfortable. Beyond that I like that it is not attached to my wrist all day and just being in the way like a wrist strap, I just hang it from my bino harness and can grab it when I need it. You get used to it so grabbing it becomes second nature (no fumbling with it). I strongly recommend either a Carter Wise Choice or Nock 2 It because they have a tether hole and a closed hole for your index finger. This makes holding the release while manipulating other objects, like a rangefinder, far easier.

I don't know if it will improve accuracy, it did for me, but only because I made the switch to work on target panic and fix really jacked up form/technique.

OP
tduex

tduex

FNG
Thanks for all the comments! It’s much appreciated

BKhunter

WKR
I just switched to a nock 2 it this year and love it. Feel like I'm a lot more consistent anchoring and love the way it goes off.

To the Stan SX3 instead of the Scott Shark. Never looking back.

HookUp

WKR
I started with a strap release and never shot good. I got a nock 2 it and Silverback and did John Dudleys program and low and behold I can now shoot a strap the same as a thumb release. The lesson here is until you can fire a shot with back tension it wont matter what release you have. The thumb really helps get steady as you pull your two fingers along your jaw line. I recently picked up a Carter RX-1 wrist strap and conisder it the holy grail of wrist straps. I had planned on hunting with my Nock to it, but the strap is so much faster and always there. If I were you I would shoot a thumb, tension, hinge and strap. Learn how to properly execute a shot with every release. I still switch releases because my brain wants to memorize exactly when the shot will fire so I make it as difficult as possible!!

MCR

FNG
I love the way a thumb release feels while drawing and anchoring/holding. I will not likely go back to a wrist strap, it just isn't as comfortable. Beyond that I like that it is not attached to my wrist all day and just being in the way like a wrist strap, I just hang it from my bino harness and can grab it when I need it. You get used to it so grabbing it becomes second nature (no fumbling with it). I strongly recommend either a Carter Wise Choice or Nock 2 It because they have a tether hole and a closed hole for your index finger. This makes holding the release while manipulating other objects, like a rangefinder, far easier.

I don't know if it will improve accuracy, it did for me, but only because I made the switch to work on target panic and fix really jacked up form/technique.

This^^^^^^^
Tried a wise choice and really liked it but I like the Nock 2 It a little better so I purchased 2 used. I can still put my 3rd finger on the small knob and feels better than the 3 finger wise choice. I started with a Stan Sx3 and it is really nice but the design of the Wise Choice and Nock 2 It felt better to me. I also like the way you attach it to the string better. See if you can shoot some at a bow shop. It's a personal thing so try a few different ones.

If you aren’t using back tension, you won’t increase your accuracy with a thumb release. But, if you shoot a thumb properly, your consistency and accuracy are highly likely to increase.

I switched to a thumb and won’t go back. The key for me was to buy a quality release that allows for zero trigger travel. I had tried cheaper versions in the past and simply thought thumb releases weren’t for me, but when I started using my Carter wise choice all those doubts disappeared