Thunder beast Ultra 5 vs Ultra 7

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
After my last hunting trip, I’m convinced a suppressor is the only way I’m going to maintain any hearing after failing to put in my ear plugs once again.

My question is which one as mentioned above. I will be using it 99% of the time while hunting with some target shooting mixed in. It will be on a 22” 6.5 SAUM and a 24” 300 Win Mag

pros and cons? Guys who have a 5 do you wish you went with a 7 for additional Db reduction? Is the 7 too long? Any Input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

I have both. The 5 is convenient for the length but there is a noticeable difference in sound from the 7. Strictly using for hunting and planning to wear ear pro when target shooting, the 5 has my vote. If I was doing a lot of shooting and not religious about putting in ear pro, definitely go with the 7.

Tod osier

WKR
After my last hunting trip, I’m convinced a suppressor is the only way I’m going to maintain any hearing after failing to put in my ear plugs once again.

My question is which one as mentioned above. I will be using it 99% of the time while hunting with some target shooting mixed in. It will be on a 22” 6.5 SAUM and a 24” 300 Win Mag

pros and cons? Guys who have a 5 do you wish you went with a 7 for additional Db reduction? Is the 7 too long? Any Input would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

same point as you. Same use, same goals except that I’m looking for a little recoil reduction as a goal. Leaning hard towards the 5.

davsco

WKR
i'll just say that even with a tbac7, my 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc are pretty damned loud, such that i'd want to be wearing earpro. i'm considering "canning" the can and just doing a muzzle brake and wearing my usual pro ears 300 earpro. i don't like the recoil impulse/muzzle jump with the can either.

ElPollo

WKR
Suppressors have a major cool factor. However, electronic in-the-ear plugs are cheaper than a suppressor and you don’t have to wait for a year to get them. The downsides are that the plugs take some getting used to and you don’t get the recoil control of a suppressor. But then again, you also don’t have to shorten your barrel and lose velocity. Best bet is both, but I’d start with a set of quality plugs that you can wear all the time while you are hunting. Like others mentioned here, you are still going to get some hearing damage with a can on a centerfire rifle and no ear pro.

I have a 5, 7, and the 9. For a pure hunting can just to save your ears, the 5” is the way to go. Don’t expect quiet, it’s not, but it’s also dampens the sound and crack enough that a shot or two in the open seems totally fine on my ears, but not at a range...plug your ears or wear muffs at the range.

OP
Johnc427

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
Copy that. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm starting to lean towards the Ultra 5 from a pure hunting standpoint just because I'm already leery of how much longer and awkward it's going to be..

I'll also recommend staying with a suppressor that's at least 7"
I bought a 4" suppressor starting off because I was afraid of adding too much length.
Well it was a total waste of money and does very little to muffle the report.
Currently I have a Banish 30 that can be run at 7" or 9, I love it and honestly its so quiet at 9" that I don't even fiddle with the 7" configuration.

Copy that. Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm starting to lean towards the Ultra 5 from a pure hunting standpoint just because I'm already leery of how much longer and awkward it's going to be..
You’ll end up with a couple someday. I started with the ultra 7, then I wanted shorter so I got the ultra 5, then I wanted quieter at times like when I have my son with me and want to make sure I have zero chance of harming his ears, I got the ultra 9 for that. I hunt with them all at times. So pick one to start with and I assure you that you’ll start saving some coins and get another one for another use case you don’t like the first can for.

My only other advice is to think about the Cb mount or direct thread...it’s a tough choice. I started CB then went Direct thread quickly. The DT route allows you to put any brake on you want, or just go bare with a thread protector on your rifle. The recoil reduction for the thunderbeast Cb mounts are lacking, so if I want to run a loud brake I wanted to pick one I wanted that was first and foremost designed for recoil reduction. Just something to think about.

i'll just say that even with a tbac7, my 6.5 creed and 6.5 prc are pretty damned loud, such that i'd want to be wearing earpro. i'm considering "canning" the can and just doing a muzzle brake and wearing my usual pro ears 300 earpro. i don't like the recoil impulse/muzzle jump with the can either.
There's a misconception as to what a suppressor is capable of doing on a centerfire rifle. Suppressors cannot get rid of the noise of the bullet breaking the sound barrier so there will always be a loud hiss-crack when shooting with one. For hunting purposes they lower the noise to the point where you can take 1-2 shots without earpro and not permanently damage your ears. This does not mean that the noise is comfortable, though I've never noticed the noise at all when shooting animals with a suppressed rifle.

Important to keep in mind that Hollywood depictions of suppressors are not realistic and you only get the Hollywood level of quiet out of suppressors when using subsonic ammunition which does not break the sound barrier. On this subject, get a .22lr suppressor when you order your centerfire one too.

There's a misconception as to what a suppressor is capable of doing on a centerfire rifle. Suppressors cannot get rid of the noise of the bullet breaking the sound barrier so there will always be a loud hiss-crack when shooting with one.

Important to keep in mind that Hollywood depictions of suppressors are not realistic and you only get the Hollywood level of quiet out of suppressors when using subsonic ammunition which does not break the sound barrier. On this subject, get a .22lr suppressor when you order your centerfire one too.
Exactly......Well said. If you have never owned one or been around them, it can be an eye opener as to the reality for high power rifles. With that said, I find the one or two shots taken on a hunt just don't warrant the cost and extra weight at the end of my barrel. If I was stand hunting a lot, then maybe. For me and for many if they are honest about it, a suppressor is a very cool novelty. At the range, unless everyone has one, they aren't much help for the ears.

davsco

WKR
i do have a can for my .22 and yeah with subsonic loads, zero earpro is not even close to being needed.

i guess i didn't do enough research but was hoping that a 6.5 creed/prc can would make a noticeable sound reduction, obviously not to zero but enough reduction i'd be comfortable for a few shots hunting. i haven't shot them without earpro, but even with the earpro they were pretty loud.

Themic86

Lil-Rokslider
I would think dominus would be good for volume as get the 7 length but the 9 volume.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i do have a can for my .22 and yeah with subsonic loads, zero earpro is not even close to being needed.

i guess i didn't do enough research but was hoping that a 6.5 creed/prc can would make a noticeable sound reduction, obviously not to zero but enough reduction i'd be comfortable for a few shots hunting. i haven't shot them without earpro, but even with the earpro they were pretty loud.
You're getting bad info
A good suppressor reduces even my 30 nosler loaded with 80 grains of powder to about the level of a 22 lr, and just as importantly it reduces the recoil significantly
but you will need at least 7" to do it.
I'd highly recommend looking at the Nomad LT over a tbac ultra 7, its going to be much quieter and only an inch longer.
Basically any baffle stack can fatter than 1.5" is going to get you better suppression at comparable lengths

To each their own but some of the stuff said is the opposite of my experience. I have an ultra 5 and 7 and can’t say enough good things about them. Just spent 8 days in Idaho and used the 7 on my 6.5 PRC with a 21” barrel. The sound suppression is awesome. Would I shoot 100 rounds at the range with no ear pro, no chance. My buddy who had never used a suppressor was crazy impressed with the sound reduction and feel in love with hunting suppressed. After my first purchase of a can I bought 3 more in a matter of 6-8 months. Can’t imagine hunting without them. I went down the muzzle brake road and really like them for certain things but after not having time to put hearing protection in on two different hunts and now having some definite hearing loss I won’t hunt with one ever again.

davsco

WKR
You're getting bad info
A good suppressor reduces even my 30 nosler loaded with 80 grains of powder to about the level of a 22 lr, and just as importantly it reduces the recoil significantly but you will need at least 7" to do it.
this isn't bad info, it's my first-hand experience. i did not shoot my 6.5 cm and prc with my tbac7 without earpro, but with earpro on it still was pretty friggin loud, way louder than a 22. i haven't shot these two rifles with brakes, but the recoil/jump with the can was well more than similar braked rifles i have. after spending somewhere around a grand for the can, tax, etc, i def wish my results matched yours, but they don't, at least for me.

OP
Johnc427

Johnc427

Lil-Rokslider
To each their own but some of the stuff said is the opposite of my experience. I have an ultra 5 and 7 and can’t say enough good things about them. Just spent 8 days in Idaho and used the 7 on my 6.5 PRC with a 21” barrel. The sound suppression is awesome. Would I shoot 100 rounds at the range with no ear pro, no chance. My buddy who had never used a suppressor was crazy impressed with the sound reduction and feel in love with hunting suppressed. After my first purchase of a can I bought 3 more in a matter of 6-8 months. Can’t imagine hunting without them. I went down the muzzle brake road and really like them for certain things but after not having time to put hearing protection in on two different hunts and now having some definite hearing loss I won’t hunt with one ever again.
This sounds like my exact experience and what I’m trying to do. After some more research and your guys’ input, I’m actually going with an Ultra 7. Filling out the paper work after work today! Thanks everyone.