Thunder chickens!!!

So i know that everyone here are hardcore hunters for big game..BUT..we all need to do something in the off season!! With Turkey seasons UPON us across the country who has their set-ups honed for ...

THE THUNDER CHICKENS!!!!

Although my time in the turkey woods will be more limited this season with my new hunting partner just being born (see thread) I will still be making my trip home to Kansas to fill my two tags as well as searching for some ground in my current state of residence, Colorado.

Who all is ready? And where will you be going?

Jared Bloomgren

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am geared up and ready to put a few down this year! Try to match my current records!

IAHNTR

WKR
Been blowing my Tom Teasers diaphragms for the past month during my commute. Can't wait to get the DSD's out and let the 870 super mag eat. A load of HEVI-13 #7 through a .660 Jelly Head choke will let em know what's up.

Last edited:
R

rebecca francis

I'm headed to Florida to hunt Osceolas in about 3 weeks!!! Can't wait! Hopefully get some hogs and bowfishing in at the same time!

I'm ready. Turkey hunting is so fun! Something about the spring and the mini "elk hunting" experience. I will be hunting Colorado.

OP
Evan Williams
Rebecca,

Where in Florida are you heading? I have a buddy from USA Wrestling that now lives in the Ocala area so I usually try to go meet up with him. Last year it was my goal to drop the SLAM in a 12 day stretch with a bow shooting the Magnus Bullhead! Everything was planned and laid out. No guides just a bunch of buddies. Started of great in Kansas ... self-filmed the first bird going down. HUGE RIO for the area!! 10 1/4" Beard -- 1 1/8 R, 1 1/4 L spurs -- a buddy of mine is a wildlife biologist I met up with that afternoon to hunt and he guessed his age at 5-6!!! But everything went the wrong direction in FL!!

JDC

FNG
Texas Rios in 11 days. Looking for first Rio with my bow. First turkey hunt in about three years and I can't wait.

R

rebecca francis

Evan, that is so cool! So did you get the Osceola then? I will be in the Orlando area, not sure exactly where yet. Are you going back this year?

OR Archer

WKR
Corn buzzards. BLAH!! lol I prefer to try and kill fawn killing black bears in the spring if I can get a tag.

ElkNut1

WKR
View attachment 908Evan, congrats!

I'll be heading out with a 1st time hunter this year! My Daughter! (grin) She's expressed a desire to want to Turkey hunt, SWEET!!!!! Shotgun for her but that is awesome! Hope to have some great photos! She's started training pretty darned good so it should go well! Training is needed as most birds are in our elk country & you need to cover 3-5 miles to get to them with tons of climbing, she'll do just fine after all she only has to keep up with a 57 year old, she's 35! (grin)

Here's hers son & my grandsons last year bird, his smile says it all!

ElkNut1

wv

FNG
I've heard from another WV'er that they are already strutting around. Hope they are still doing it when the season opens.

Been strutting for couple weeks it's going to be very green by the 1st day most people think it will be very over before it starts. that's ok will have the woods to myself

B

bearguide

evan i have not tried the magnus bullhead / did it work out good / what broad head do you like

Rod

Lil-Rokslider
I will be out there in a few weeks. Longbow & double bull blind. Been seeing lots of birds, should be a good year!

Little Tommy's double last year. both the birds combined weigh more than he does!! Great morning, walking out of the hunt and made one last stand on the edge of a bean field cause we busted a couple turkeys off the field coming out of the woods. 3 jakes and these 2 bad boys came in to a little slate and box call action! what a great morning!turk.jpg (Camera man must be a little new to taking pics!!)

Last edited:
I have got serious bird on the brain now that the weather is starting to turn. A buddy and I are going all out this spring, taking a wall tent and wood stove to Montana for Merriam's - can't wait!