Thunderbeast Magnus??

Lawnboi

WKR
The Dominus was originally designed as a full auto 5.56 can. The 30 cal aperture helped with back pressure without giving up to much performance. You can watch the entire surge test on the product page. Anyway, because it was designed for full auto 5.56 first it was verified for magnum cartridges after the fact which is why it has different ratings than the Ultras and Magnus. The Magnus is closer to the 338 in design and strength because it was designed as a magnum can.

Originally when the Dominus came out it was quiter than our Ultra 7. But with the Gen 2 Ultras the Dominus and .30 Ultra 7 meter identical. The Gen 2 Ultra 7 is also lighter than the Dominus now and has shorter magnum barrel ratings. If you are considering a Dominus for hunting, take another look at the Gen 2 Ultra 7.
I gather that. Good to know.

The baffle geometry must be different between them as well as I see they recommend weighing the magnus and gen 2 338 every 500 rounds due to trapping and holding gas. Any info on this?

Also curious if you can share how you pressure test cans?

kpalu

FNG
I gather that. Good to know.

The baffle geometry must be different between them as well as I see they recommend weighing the magnus and gen 2 338 every 500 rounds due to trapping and holding gas. Any info on this?

Also curious if you can share how you pressure test cans?
The baffle tech/geometry is very different between the two cans. The magnus/gen2 338 baffle tech is more efficient and does tend to trap/hold gas better. In general I recommend weighing the can when it's new and then reweigh it every time you clean your barrel or chamber, which is typically around 500 rounds. When you get close to 1 oz of carbon build up it's time to clean your can.

We durability test/destruction test every design, many times on multiple calibers. We design a firing schedule that is at/above max and shoot that schedule for thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds tracking weight and sound performance along the way. Depending on the host we typically break a few rifles and burn threw several barrels in each destruction protocol.

The baffle tech/geometry is very different between the two cans. The magnus/gen2 338 baffle tech is more efficient and does tend to trap/hold gas better. In general I recommend weighing the can when it's new and then reweigh it every time you clean your barrel or chamber, which is typically around 500 rounds. When you get close to 1 oz of carbon build up it's time to clean your can.

We durability test/destruction test every design, many times on multiple calibers. We design a firing schedule that is at/above max and shoot that schedule for thousands and thousands and thousands of rounds tracking weight and sound performance along the way. Depending on the host we typically break a few rifles and burn threw several barrels in each destruction protocol.

Very cool info, thanks for sharing.

Strange that the magnus and Dominus don’t share the same barrel restrictions like The ultras do. Dominus is something like 26” for the prc where the magnus is 14.5”

I couldn’t see buying a dominus over a gen 2 ultra 7. I like my ultra 7 so much that I’m going to be buying another in 6.5 aperture. The more cans I handle and hear the more I like the ultra 7
I got a Dominus over the ultra 7. Not sure if I did the right move. But the Dominus seemed like it sound wise between the ultra 7 and 9 but the length of the 7

metroplex

FNG
Thunder beast had a video comparing a bunch of big 30 cal cans. According to them the LT was the quietest 30 cal can they metered until the magnus.

I’m invested in TBAC muzzle devices so I went with a magnus. Buddy has a nomad LT so hopefully I can shoot them next to each other.

This is my foray into the huge can market. Not sure if it will be used for hunting or not as I really prefer light and slim on the end of my hunting barrels. Current largest is 8x1.6”. I also don’t shoot anything that burns over 50 grains of powder

Do you happen to have a link to this video? I saw them meter the Nomad-LT but I didn't find the one where they had the Magnus in the same test.

Lawnboi

WKR
Thank you. I found another Thunder Beast video where they tested 6.5CM on some of their cans (no Magnus) and those dB numbers were higher than what was posted in this video for the same cans (Ultra 9 Gen 2 and 338 Gen 2).
They went to a different system of measuring I believe at some point. If you look on rays YouTube channel they go over it. On the bigger cans they omit the sonic crack of the bullet.

That said they have also tested a few places before ending up where they are. Having shot suppressed in a bunch of different environments I can say where I am has a bigger effect to me than comparing a few db in similar sized cans. Maybe that explains it, I don’t know.

I believe that’s why they do them with the video rolling the whole time. Over on snipers hide they usually create a thread and show all the numbers, milspec right and left and shooters ear.

ID_Matt

WKR
Bumping this oldish thread. Won a tbac cert at the last match so going to order a magnus I think. Have quite a few 5-7" cans so this one will fill a niche. Probably use for varmints and range use, but I do think an 18" hunting barrel with this one the end would be a sweet setup.

Bumping this oldish thread. Won a tbac cert at the last match so going to order a magnus I think. Have quite a few 5-7" cans so this one will fill a niche. Probably use for varmints and range use, but I do think an 18" hunting barrel with this one the end would be a sweet setup.
You wont regret it. We currently have one hanging off a 20' 223 Ai. Such a pleasant experience for our kids and new/young shooters.

Magnus has its place - they're worth every penny.

Yea would be sweet. I bought a magnus back in December. Waiting to get it thou

Lawnboi

WKR
I should have mine sometime…. Will compare to my ultra 7.

Good news is TBAC lead times are down. Ordered another ultra 7 with a cert in may and it’s already done.

I should have mine sometime…. Will compare to my ultra 7.

Good news is TBAC lead times are down. Ordered another ultra 7 with a cert in may and it’s already done.
Got the approval email for mine! Unfortunately I’m on a Fire assignment for a few weeks so won’t be able to get it for awhile

Ucsdryder

WKR
Lucky man. I’m still waiting on mine, certified in January of 23.

Looking forward to this suppressor.
I’m January 12. I was deciding between magnus and ultra 338. Went with ultra 338 since I had a Dominus already. Starting to at least think about it getting close.