Ti Goat Bivy

Considering picking up a Ptarmigan Ti Goat Bivy this year. Don't know anybody with one and looking for any any feedback about them. Thanks in advance.

Bryanboss429

Lil-Rokslider
Don't know about the bivy, but if your buying new, the founder passed away just over a month ago. They haven't reopened yet. I've been checking weekly on their website as I'm looking at getting a Vortex 5 tipi from them. Just wanted to pass that on in case you were buying new from them. The website says they are going to reopen. Just don't know when or if that will actually happen.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
What are you planning to use the bivy for? I have a Ptarmigan and it is good for basic splash protection under a small tarp, but it is too minimalist as a stand-alone bivy and I don't carry it if sleeping under a bigger tarp/using a sleeping bag with good DWR. I would tend to get a bit of condensation in the bivy when using it. Under some circumstances the condensation may be worth it to avoid more external moisture, but in my experience that is a pretty narrow window. It is a tight fit with a lofty bag and anything more than a minimal Ridgerest style pad if you had thoughts of putting the pad in the bivy.

OP
O
What are you planning to use the bivy for? I have a Ptarmigan and it is good for basic splash protection under a small tarp, but it is too minimalist as a stand-alone bivy and I don't carry it if sleeping under a bigger tarp/using a sleeping bag with good DWR. I would tend to get a bit of condensation in the bivy when using it. Under some circumstances the condensation may be worth it to avoid more external moisture, but in my experience that is a pretty narrow window. It is a tight fit with a lofty bag and anything more than a minimal Ridgerest style pad if you had thoughts of putting the pad in the bivy.

Thanks for that it helps quite a bit. I use the bivy to camp out up high for chance at early morning shots. Usually a tarp is not an option as it is above tree line. Based on your feedback I don't think it would work out for my use. I currently have a surplus gortex bag and that works well. It is just really heavy at 30 oz.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for protection from dew it could work and is a lot lighter, but it wouldn't be enough if rain was a real possibility. The TiGoat doesn't end up with any more condensation than an eVent or Goretex bivy, just more than no bivy at all,