Ti stove and stove jack

Dan Davis

FNG
Thanks for everyone’s post on diy mods. The stoves made of .007 stainless steel on top, front and back. The sides (belly) section is .005 Ti . It’s made to fold back on its self for transit, fits nicely in Tyvek bag. Springs and 30# leader wire hold the bottom together . Ordered Ti and stove jack from lite outdoors arrived in two days! Sewed jack in place with 50# FireWire by hand. Its hard to think about putting a hole in a $1000 tent. Have only spent one night in it so far, 19 degrees outside, easily 80 in side. Burned cedar, so not a true test of stove .5610A9A8-11E9-40B9-B639-F9826300BD96.jpeg3B7D7712-CC7F-4047-831E-B48F035A53A8.jpeg8EE50FC3-8365-4BC5-84C2-E648550A92F1.jpeg

rino

FNG
I'd shorten the stack (maybe 3' above tent)…

With strong winds the stack might want to move the stove.

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I always wondered if someone has put a wood stove in a Hille. Great job, i'd definitely be sweating cutting into one of those too haha.

OP
D

Dan Davis

FNG
I'd shorten the stack (maybe 3' above tent)…

I'd shorten the stack (maybe 3' above tent
I drilled a few holes in the stove pipe retaining ring inserted leaderwire could use as guys, may still have to shorten it up. Thanks

sneaky

"DADDY"
Yeah, that pipe is way too tall. I understand trepidation about cutting a 1k tent, but no need for an 8ft pipe when a 5ft pipe is more than adequate

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

sneaky

"DADDY"
Just me, but I would have put that stove jack in the vestibule on the sloped side of that crossing pole. That way when the flap is down water runs down and off. Potential to leak more where it is. Also easier for Hille to replace that if you change your mind lol

What Sneaky said. The tent I modified only cost $150 and I still had trepidation about cutting into it so you definitely have some bravery points.

Since your rain flap is not very affective in that position you could buy another stove jack and cut a hole in it the exact diameter of your stove pipe and make an additional external rain shed/cover. Cool stove and thanks for sharing!

OP
D

Dan Davis

FNG
Just me, but I would have put that stove jack in the vestibule on the sloped side of that crossing pole. That way when the flap is down water runs down and off. Potential to leak more where it is. Also easier for Hille to replace that if you change your mind lol

Good point, I was afraid the stove might be to close to sidewall. I do believe it would work at that location. I’ll let you know how bad it leaks when we get some rain.