Tibet GTX vs Camino?

Elite

WKR
Hey everyone. I currently have some Tibet GTX boots and have used them for a few season now. Long story short they started to let a lot of water in and lowa has offered to discount a new pair of boots. I have enjoyed the Tibets over the years. I have used them from sheep hunting with a pack weight of 65lbs to spot and stalk mule deer hunting in the open prairies. My only complaint would be that they are heavy and you feel it at the end of the day on your feet. I also find them really stiff for non hunting. I was eyeing up the Camino. I am wondering how stiff they are compared to the Tibet? can they handle heavy packs? Has anyone used both? Or should I order another set of Tibet’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Not as stiff in either sole or upper IMO. I never packed a heavy load with the caminos though and only just got the tibets so jury is still out overall.

I’ve packed plenty of heavy loads with the caminos. I love everything about them except they don’t keep my feet dry for long. But I’m not sure what boot will since I hunt mostly on the wetside of Washington. The tibets were too heavy and stiff for my liking.

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I’ve packed plenty of heavy loads with the caminos. I love everything about them except they don’t keep my feet dry for long. But I’m not sure what boot will since I hunt mostly on the wetside of Washington. The tibets were too heavy and stiff for my liking.

Thanks for the input, Do you do any mountain hunting or steep terrain with them?

Thanks for the input, Do you do any mountain hunting or steep terrain with them?

Yep..95% of the time I’m in steep terrain. Cliffy, nasty stuff is kind of a magnet for me it seems lol

OP
Elite

Elite

WKR
I've had both and the Caminos had much less ankle support for me. They were good for hikes but if I was carrying any weight or into steep, off trail work the Tibets were much better.

It definitely seems like they work for some people in the steep stuff and some other people say the Tibet’s work a lot better. Not making this choice easy

I ran the Tibets for a while and agree on stiffness. I ruptured my Achilles a few years back. The stiffness of the Tibet seem to stress the Achilles quite a bit with no flex. I have ran the Caminos the last few years and they are a nice compromise of support and flex. I have hauled many animals out over tough terrain with no issues. They do not keep my feet dry is the only complaint. I plan on sno sealing the hell out of them this year. We will see if that helps.

I packed a bull out up very steep terrain in snow-to-rain slush in Lowa Caminos. I’m not saying they’re for everybody but I was fine with the support and stiffness

I have no experience with the Tibet but I will say about the Camino if you have a wide foot to size up.

I had a pair and when I was researching virtually every review said they ran larger so I ordered my measured 12EE. They were great for a month but as they broke in I got very painful pressure on the top of my foot. I was fortunate that my son also has a size twelve but he doesn’t have wide feet and he was able to use them and he loves them.

tttoadman

WKR
I have used the Tibets for about 8 years and the stiff soles really agree with me. I wanted to try a slightly more flexible boot for summer conditioning and improved comfort. I have the Tibets in 12W and they are a little tight in the forefoot for me. I read a number of comments where the Caminos were actually a bit narrower build than the Tibets. I didn't want to just order long to get the width because that defeats the purpose of getting a lighter more flexible shoe. The conclusion for me was the Crispi Colorado 12W. They actually have a little wider build in the forefoot width and volume compared to the Tibet 12W I have. These are very comfortable. They do not lock the heel as good as the lever locks on the Tibets and Caminos, but they do well. I can cover up to 10-12 miles a day without any hot spots. I don't imagine the ankle support is as good as the Tibets, but they have felt good to me with pack weights around 50lbs. Price seems about the same.

Phaseolus

WKR
Camino’s are great for narrow feet. I’ve packed quite a few elk out in nasty hight country and they work great for me. I’ve never had ankle problems though and use Lowa Renegades for most of my hiking (they are lighter and have much less support than the Camino’s).

kowboy

FNG
Camino's. Just had my paid this year break down (my fault, kept them too long....10 yrs!). Actually broke them in on a Rim to Rim hike in the Grand Canyon. I've hauled out several elk (Montana back country) and they were great. Actually hauled my bull out this year WHILE the sole was exploding...lol and they made it out LOADED 2.5 miles to the mules. Electrical tape and KUIU cord did the job! Great boot and company IMO.

Attachments

• FF31FD6B-3CC2-46A0-A235-70D2E9E5C99B_1_201_a.jpeg
    FF31FD6B-3CC2-46A0-A235-70D2E9E5C99B_1_201_a.jpeg
    272.3 KB · Views: 37