Tick removal

Mikedr

WKR
I’ve read that permethrin is great for preventing ticks and killing them. If that fails, what tick removal tools have you all found to work best? I see a bunch of different types advertised. I’ve just used my fingers in the past when I or my dog get bit. I took my kids on a hike down here in Florida and they got covered in tiny little ticks, smallest I’ve ever seen. I’m looking for some first hand experience with a removal tool that can handle all sizes of ticks.

Rich M

WKR
Ditto for oregano oil - put a couple drops under your tongue and hang on! Never used it for ticks tho.

I've heard the masses of little ones called seed ticks. Horrid things. Got into some last fall - hundred ++ bites. Went to Dr and got some doxycycline in case one of them had something it wanted to give me.

Don't know if there is a good tick removal thing for those little guys - look like little specs. I had to put my glasses on to see that they even had legs. I just sprayed em with permethrin (on my bare leg) and scratched at em til they came loose.

Yarak

WKR
Never had a tick removal tool other than the ones attached to my arms
Always just pinched them between the thumb and forefinger then pulled them loose
Never had a problem doing this

OP
Mikedr

Mikedr

WKR
Never had a tick removal tool other than the ones attached to my arms
Always just pinched them between the thumb and forefinger then pulled them loose
Never had a problem doing this
I’ve always done the same. I don’t know that I could do that with these little ticks we’ve been picking up. Luckily none have but into us yet. I’m from out west and the ticks I’m used to are big enough to be “pickers”.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’ve heard oral gel is the ticket, from several folks. they will back right out and it won’t itch for a while. That said I haven’t witnessed first hand.

Wellsdw

WKR
I’ve heard oral gel is the ticket, from several folksthey will back right out and it won’t itch for a while. That said I haven’t witnessed first hand.

We have the little plastic "crow bar" from the vet for removing them. Works great to make sure you get the head too.
Agreed. A set of these is what you want to remove ticks safely and easily; nothing else I’ve tried has been nearly as reliable, especially with those tiny ticks that are prone to squishing their guts into you if you try to use tweezers or fingers.

1656680999886.png

Logestagg

FNG
I’ve read that permethrin is great for preventing ticks and killing them. If that fails, what tick removal tools have you all found to work best? I see a bunch of different types advertised. I’ve just used my fingers in the past when I or my dog get bit. I took my kids on a hike down here in Florida and they got covered in tiny little ticks, smallest I’ve ever seen. I’m looking for some first hand experience with a removal tool that can handle all sizes of ticks.
I ran into the same thing in Virginia last year. Must have been a tick nest of babies. I was in shorts and felt like something was moving on my shin but didn't see anything. Bent down to look closer and was horrified to see 50+ tiny ticks spreading fast. Way too small to pinch with your fingers. Tried drowning them with an aerosol bug spray. Didn't really work. Luckily had a roll of duct tape in the truck. I put strips on my legs and it pulled them right off. The oily bug spray kept my hair from getting ripped off and looking like the scene from 40 year old Virgin. It would have been a real problem if I didn't have the duct tape.

Erict

WKR
Permethrin for clothes, deet for skin. Almost sounds like some of you are referring to chiggers (aka "red bugs") instead of ticks. Chiggers are especially common in the US Southeast.

For tools, I always carry a Tick Key - small, lightweight, works great every time on humans, even on unengorged deer ticks, which can be small. No experience using it on dogs, though I'm sure the location and fur can be a problem with most tools.

71H7sDvYpdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Those seed ticks are the devil’s spawn! Both my son and I, have been covered. I’ve used a pocket knife to scrape them off. The bite itches for weeks! So bad that I’ve had to use a blow dryer stop the itch for a few hours in order to sleep. Basically get your skin as hot as you can handle it and the itching subsides for a few hours. Another thing I’ve done is rub acetone on the bites to dry them out.

G_Tacoma

Lil-Rokslider
Agreed. A set of these is what you want to remove ticks safely and easily; nothing else I’ve tried has been nearly as reliable, especially with those tiny ticks that are prone to squishing their guts into you if you try to use tweezers or fingers.

View attachment 424518
These things work really good! you can also use some dawn dish soap on ticks and they’ll back out

View attachment 424518
i have similar gadgets called "tick tornado"

each pack comes with 2 sizes, and i have them laying around everywhere (in my pickup, all of my packs, both houses, my soft cooler i pack at work, etc)

i have used tweezers in the past, and pulled them by hand, but both techniques have you squeezing the ticks, which doesn't seem very intuitive if you are trying to keep their nastiness out of your body.

i despise ticks... if i had to pick hunting in heavy grizz country or a tick infested area, i would pick the grizz country every time.... i did pretty well this year, and the ones i had on me i caught before they latched on. i do use permethrin all spring though, and it works really well. where i turkey hunt, you actually see them crawling around, they're thick, and i did find plenty crawling on me/my gear, but permethrin messes them up

Those seed ticks are the devil’s spawn! Both my son and I, have been covered. I’ve used a pocket knife to scrape them off. The bite itches for weeks! So bad that I’ve had to use a blow dryer stop the itch for a few hours in order to sleep. Basically get your skin as hot as you can handle it and the itching subsides for a few hours. Another thing I’ve done is rub acetone on the bites to dry them out.
Distilled witch hazel also help insect bites, I've found.
But less hard core, than acetone!

Zeke6951

Lil-Rokslider
When the tiny seed ticks are still crawling, I have soaked a cotton ball in finger nail polish remover and just rub over them. The remover kills them and they stick to the cotton ball. I hate ticks!!!