Tick removal

Gutshotem

WKR
I mix it 20-1 for clothing so I usually just spread it like that. If I need more I mix it a little hotter for the lawn. I also do the woodline really good but I only have 3/4 - 1 acre so it isn't too bad.

KnuckleChild

Lil-Rokslider
Interesting stuff. We mow about 2.5-3 acres and I saw in the comments they don't recommend this for broadcast spraying to control mosquitos. What rate do you use to mix for your yard?
I only have ~1/2 acre but I spray a mix of Bifen IT and Tekko every ~6-8 weeks in the spring/summer and it does a number on all the annoying insects.

Regarding plucking them, if they're attached i use tweezers and always against the skin. I want to see a little skin hanging off the end of the mouth parts when I pull it out to make sure I got it all. Fortunately, I've never had to pull one off that was engorged.

WILLMCC

FNG
Will that Tick Key work on all sizes of ticks? Seems here back East they get smaller and smaller every year.

Erict

WKR
Will that Tick Key work on all sizes of ticks? Seems here back East they get smaller and smaller every year.

I have only used a Tick Key on 5 or 6 ticks that were sized like #2 (nymph) or #3 (adult) below. It took some maneuvering to get the key "under" them but they all came out easily and whole. The "V" of a Tick Key gets very small but if it was like #1 (larvae) it might be difficult to get. For me, I always seem to find them when I have no one to help and they like the areas (like middle of back) that are somewhere difficult to get any tool on them.

blacklegged_ticks.jpg

I’ve read that permethrin is great for preventing ticks and killing them. If that fails, what tick removal tools have you all found to work best? I see a bunch of different types advertised. I’ve just used my fingers in the past when I or my dog get bit. I took my kids on a hike down here in Florida and they got covered in tiny little ticks, smallest I’ve ever seen. I’m looking for some first hand experience with a removal tool that can handle all sizes of ticks.
Debakey forceps