Tick Report

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
Wondering how big of a problem the ticks are going to be...heading over to the south side of the Wallowas in NE OR for my first spring bear hunt. Anyone been out yet and have problems?

Tics are bad this year, at least in SW ID. I found 8 on me and pulled 12 out of my dog last weekend.

hwy1strat

WKR
Ticks have been bad here in Colorado so far too. I've never gotten a tick on me here but this year I've found several on me after every single time I've gone into the woods.

OP
E

Elkfever

Lil-Rokslider
I'm thinking I may just pretreat at least my base layers with Premethrin before I head over. Never tried it but have read rave reviews about its effectiveness.

LostArra

WKR
Tics are bad this year, at least in SW ID. I found 8 on me and pulled 12 out of my dog last weekend.

Has there ever been a "good" year for ticks?
I'm well into the senior discount years and I can't remember anyone ever saying "the ticks aren't bad this year".
I think they just get worse every year regardless of weather conditions.

My dog always ends up sleeping on my bed so I've started hitting the bedspread with permethrin.

Killboars: permethrin works for me but I still add a little topical picardin around my waist, forearms, ankles and neck if I'm going into some real ticky areas like hanging treestands in the summer.

Jesse Minish

Lil-Rokslider
Are you guys hitting your cloths and gear with Permetrin and still getting ticks on you?

I spayed my hunting clothes with Permethrin and have found one on my sleeve and had one in my back so far this year. The one on my back might have happened while at work though. Not bad compared to others that have gone out with me and had a dozen or even two dozen on them. This is an especially bad year up here in north Idaho I think.

Kilboars

WKR
Gotcha.
Ive just found as long as I use the stuff I don't find any ticks on me.

I thought maybe they the Permethrin wasn't affecting them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Using permethrine for the first time this year and still finding a couple ticks each outing. Ticks always seem bad here in the spring. Three years ago we got into our glassing spot and started eating lunch, when we realized that we couldn't keep up with keeping the ticks off of us. In long enough to eat half a sandwich we had atleast 20 ticks on each of us and decided to haul out of there. The ground was covered with them. when we got back to the truck we spent quite a bit of time getting them off of us and out of our clothes...I pulled 55 ticks off of my boys clothes

Alright, so I had to look this stuff up because I have never heard of it. It says deet lasts 10 hours and this stuff lasts 6 weeks! That's a long time!

tommymo

Lil-Rokslider
Went hiking last Saturday here in good old NJ, had to pull over on the side of the road when one of those nasty bastards was crawling across the dashboard. Ended up pulling 3 more off us, all of ouz cloths were treated with Sawyers.

Has there ever been a "good" year for ticks?
I'm well into the senior discount years and I can't remember anyone ever saying "the ticks aren't bad this year".
I think they just get worse every year regardless of weather conditions.

My dog always ends up sleeping on my bed so I've started hitting the bedspread with permethrin.

Killboars: permethrin works for me but I still add a little topical picardin around my waist, forearms, ankles and neck if I'm going into some real ticky areas like hanging treestands in the summer.

Good point.

Kilboars

WKR
Is there any pesticide you can spray around your main trails and where you hunt?

I spray multi bug and tick killer around my camp area.

I've been out in northern Colorado hiking around maybe 14 days since the beginning of April and have only seen about 6.

elkguide

WKR
Had 2 on me after sitting on my tractor mowing my lawn this afternoon! (and I'm on a 32 hp compact tractor not a low, lawn mower type!) Got them bad here.

I did a brief stint at a seasonal job in Minnesota, just across the river from Fargo.

That summer forever jaded the way I see ticks. Even our crew house was full of them. Merely seeing them crawling towards you across the couch wasn't even note worthy. You waited until they made contact or it wasn't worth while. Part of the morning routine was plucking off the one's you acquired during the night.

Now I just laugh when my co-workers trip over having one on their pants.

ncstewart

WKR
Get sawyers tick spray. It's permethrin mix I think. Either way it's the best stuff I have found besides the stuff we used in the service but I can't ever find that stuff at the surplus stores.
The Sawyers is a treatment spray that will treat 2 total outfits and last a very long time. We deal with ticks dang near year around in the south and this stuff works if you use it as directed.

DEHusker

WKR
A word about Permethrin for ticks (and mosquitos as well). It is NOT a repellent. It will NOT actively repel ticks and mosquitoes from you like DEET or Picardin. Permethrin is the synthetic derivative of a natural substance that actually KILLS ticks and mosquitoes but they have to come into contact with the substance before they'll die. So, you'll find ticks and mosquitoes on your clothes that have been treated with Permethrin but they won't die instantly. It'll take a few minutes or hours before they'll get sick and crawl away or die. Sometimes, they will still get on your skin and attach, even though they've crawled on Permethrin treated clothes. It is not 100% perfect stuff. In my experience, I do seem to get a bit of repellent effect with Permethrin but not much. It lasts so long because it binds with the fibers of your clothes, etc BUT YOU SHOULD NOT APPLY IT TO YOUR SKIN...it doesn't work that way and it could make you sick.

Anyway, bottom line is that if you use Permethrin, you'll also want to use a repellent such as DEET or Picardin to keep them repelled. Good luck.

DEH