Ticks on a bear hide

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
My bear hide had quite a few ticks. It went from a game bag into a plastic bag in the freezer, with a quick viewing for my kids and dogs. I've now found 2 ticks on one of my dogs in the last 48 hours. Are you guys treating your hides with anything to kill ticks at some point? Or just dealing with bringing ticks home?

Before I load a bear hide into my vehicle, horse trailer or camp trailer, etc.I usually lay it out on a clean surface, treat hair side w/ raid (or another aerosol bug spray)bag it up in a garbage bag and spray more raid inside the bag, then seal it up.... then transport. I the usually treat my pack, saddles, bags, too.

A lot of them have fleas as well, the above usually takes care of them too.

I’ll usually try and treat mule deer and elk capes the same way if I can.

Ticks are a pain in the ass.

[email protected]

Lil-Rokslider
Not been lucky enough to take a bear but the deer in one of my favorite areas are absolutely LOADED with ticks, we started using a cheap bedbug spray from the hardware store that uses permethrin on the hides works great for us.

Nuggets

FNG
I've never run into this issue, all my bear hides have gone into an ice chest for the ride home and that usually takes care of those little devils. I like the bug spray ideas though.

Cobie33

FNG
I haven't had the issue either. Like Nuggets, I just put the hide in an ice chest and they die.

you guys must have some seriously bad ass coolers!

Usually frozen for a few months will take care of them......or spray the hides with permethrine

Last edited:

Tim B.

FNG
Seems to be a bad year, i run beagles and was pulling them off the dogs with 4 inches of fresh snow on the ground

Trial153

WKR
The ticks are insane. Every year it gets worse. I have to keep a drum of kennel dip out buy the kennel and dip the hounds weekly. It’s nothing to take 50 off them after a day of running.