Ticks: where do you find them?

Some parts of the country have lots of ticks and it seems that some areas don't. There are lots where I live. Before using Permethrin there were days that 30-50 were found crawling up my pantlegs. I've picked ticks from places that can't be seen without a mirror. :) Spraying with Permethrin fixed all of that.

My question is where have you found them in the western states? I've hunted elk and deer during August and September in CO, NM, AZ, and NV and haven't found the first one yet. Mostly I've been hunting higher elevations. Are they at lower elevations? Are they only in some areas and not others? I've never used Permethrin on any of my western trips and am just curious where it's needed.

TripleJ

WKR
They are thick in the coast range of Oregon this time of year during spring bear season.

wyosteve

WKR
We have a fair number in Wyo. I've found them up to about 9k elevation. Caping mule deer in the fall you can literally take spoonfuls out of their ears--Ugh!

Lukex24

FNG
In eastern WA, I typically only find them in the spring. Once summer months begin and it starts getting hot, we stop finding them.

I had 6 on me in Western Colorado today after a 20 minute walk through the sagebrush. They're worse in the spring but I've found them into September pretty regularly if it's warm. Highest I've seen them is 9,000-9,500 feet but I wouldn't rule out higher elevations in some places. I'm a fan of permetherin during turkey season but haven't had enough issues during the fall to worry about it much.

Last edited:
We've never had ticks (or fleas), in AK but I just read in our paper the other day that they are now in northern Canada and predicted to be here before too long. Definitely not looking forward to that. What the hell purpose does a tick serve, are they at all beneficial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Daniel_M

WKR
We've never had ticks (or fleas), in AK but I just read in our paper the other day that they are now in northern Canada and predicted to be here before too long. Definitely not looking forward to that. What the hell purpose does a tick serve, are they at all beneficial?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alaska has ticks.....

vanish

WKR
This is the only time of year I notice them in CO. They're awful along the plains river bottoms, and you can find them in the foothills, too.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
North Idaho until the heat is on. Have only seen one elk with them in my 37 years huntin Idaho but do recall a time in the Georgia swamps hunting feral pigs in the 70s when you would see hundreds of them moving as the body heat dissipated one bug I can't stand and is ticks👎

bpotter

Lil-Rokslider
Black legged/deer ticks are the ones I worry about in upper Midwest. Based on friends experiences, Lyme's disease is not fun.

Darn things have made grouse hunting less pleasureable.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

The only ticks I have seen in AZ were on domestic dogs. Never in the backcountry.

I never would have guessed that. That is very encouraging because in my opinion there is enough to tangle with there as it is. Between Rattlesnakes, Scorpions, and every other plant pokes or sticks you that's enough for me. :)

Vids

WKR
I saw one at 10,000 feet once in a meadow in Colorado, crawling on a log while we were sitting down having lunch. Rarely have seen them here though.

qwerksc

WKR
Lots in California, I had one burrowed in me last week. I'm soaking the scouting and hunting clothes with permethrin as we speak. Freakin hate em!

chindits

WKR
This year in CO has been the most predictable I have ever seen. The biggest concentration is in the very bottom of drainages. Consistently when I am hiking I will have 3-6 on my pants every time I look down while hiking in the very bottom of drainages for hikes lasting a couple hours, so total depending on the day out I will probably have 20-40.

However there are two key elements. First don't look down like my wife is always doing and you will not be so perturbed by them. Second, don't hike in the bottom of drainages. We found that if we side slope the ridge next to the drainage, we can descend to about 50 yards of the bottom without getting any ticks. Then the last 1/2 mile to the truck in the bottom of the drainage it is tick central. I have noticed this in other drainages and also when I take my bow on cross country target walks. I am usually flinging arrows on side slopes or inclines so I am not in the drainage bottoms. I might get one tick the whole walk flinging arrows in the uplands. It doesn't make sense to me since rarely are the elk actually in the bottom of the drainages, but maybe its a water thing and a channelized travel route. Last week was the most dead cows I have seen in a concentrated area, but that's just a side not. Not from hunters either since all 1/4s are intact.