Tikka 25 creedmoor budget build

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Recently taken interest in the quarter bore with some of the new high bc projectiles on the market. Also in the works of getting set up with a can, so I figured why not build a lightweight shorty that will be a pretty optimal setup. My criteria was good component availability, easy to load for, mostly factory stuff so I can hand it off to my buddies for their kids to shoot if they need a reliable and accurate mid range rifle. So I burned my Cabela's points on a discounted Tikka (go down there and handle them all and find the display with a scratch on it, if they don't have a NIB they have to discount it 😁).

Next I starting looking at barrel options. I decided I would spend a little more to customize it since I saved some on initial investment. I went with Preferred Barrel Blanks, and I have to say it was nothing but a good experience. I asked them some questions and got a quick response, they were dead on timeline, cost wasn't above average for what I had done. Barrel is a 20" x .75" taperless 1:7 chambered in 25 creedmoor/BJ, fluted, and threaded with protector. Finish is top notch.

Once I got the barreled action back (I sent it in for them to time the flutes and gauge it) I immediately switched out the grip and went at the stock for some inletting with a carbide cutter and a dremel, opened up the channel with some sandpaper and a socket, and slapped some paint on.

Before the build I picked up a couple hundred 133 Berger Elite hunters, Peterson LRP brass, and some H4350. Was hoping it would have a little more freebore, but the picture is the 133 seated at .010" off the lands, and fits well within the Tikka SA mag. I prayed that it would like .010" off so I would have plenty of life and room to burn it forward. It put all the clean bore break in shots into a sub group, and the first fouled bore group at .010" off printed a damn near 1/4" 3 shot. I'll be doing a load development thread in the reloading section once I get some data. So far, I love this little thing!

20220626_135145.jpg20220626_165959.jpg20220626_170449.jpg20220709_153955.jpg20220710_145752.jpg

Last edited:
OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks great! I am interested to see the load development/ballistics.
Thanks! Me too, hoping to crank up the powder charge and get some numbers this weekend. Found pretty consistently guys able to get 2950-3k below pressure out of 24-26" tubes, if I can hit 2800ish I'll be happy.

sndmn11

WKR
Thanks! Me too, hoping to crank up the powder charge and get some numbers this weekend. Found pretty consistently guys able to get 2950-3k below pressure out of 24-26" tubes, if I can hit 2800ish I'll be happy.
I think you should get 2900 based on my scientific wild estimationing with no evidence to back it up.

If you run across Staball it would be interesting to see what that turns up.

slick

WKR
Gah! I've been thinking about one of these for awhile now... This is drool worthy.

Nice set up. Glad to see she shoots for ya.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
What does the bare rifle weigh with that barrel?
Not exactly sure, keep forgetting to bring a scale home from work. I estimate it's a little bit lighter than the factory 6.5 it started as. Tikka tapers from .810" to .610" so avg .710", then minus a few inches in length.

OP
Harvey_NW

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
Looks great! I am interested to see the load development/ballistics.