Tikka 280AI build??

WDE91

FNG
I am looking for some insight on a Tikka build.
I've never "built" a rifle and I've never shot past 300yards, so the newb level is high. :oops:

I currently have a stainless T3 that is currently in 30-06 that I am thinking of building off of.

Here are my thoughts, I'm wanting a jack of all trades rifle. Something that is just as comfortable hunting as it is comfortable at the range.
I'm aware that wanting a do-everything rifle will mean sacrifices to a certain degree.
For the hunting, will be general North American game but primarily pigs, deer & coyotes in Alabama.
For the range, I would love to get proficient out to 1,000yards as the goal.

My thoughts are a Prefit CarbonSix 280Ai 24" Sendero profile barrel & an AG Composites Privateer stock.
Is the 280AI is good round for my intended goals?
How are the CarbonSix barrels?

Any guidance and insight is welcome.
Thank you.

amassi

WKR
Sounds like your in the right track
I'd opt for a 26" barrel and 8 twist so you can throw 175-180s around

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Get a hold of Mike Johnson at hell’s canyon armory. He works on quite a few tikkas and if I’m not mistaken a 280ai was what he used to hunt with on a tikka action. I know that’s where I’m sending my tikka when it needs work done.

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
Get a hold of Mike Johnson at hell’s canyon armory. He works on quite a few tikkas and if I’m not mistaken a 280ai was what he used to hunt with on a tikka action. I know that’s where I’m sending my tikka when it needs work done.
+1
e.png

16Bore

WKR
Just trip the ‘06 for a 7RM and skip the build. 500 yards and a 30-06 doesn’t leave a fella wanting for much...unless he just wants more.

OP
W

WDE91

FNG
Ndbowhunter, I love calibers in the 6-7MM range is the primary reason.

khuber84

WKR
I would suggest going 7mm saum or 7mm sherman short variety. Will run perfectly out a Tikka action, whereas your cutting the 280ai short at 3.34" length. Opening up the bolt face to Magnum diameter is not difficult at all.

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go 7 saum or 6.5 PRC.
The PRC makes the most sense for what you're wanting to do, and it'll be more fun to shoot

WesternHntr

Lil-Rokslider
I'd go 7 saum or 6.5 PRC.
The PRC makes the most sense for what you're wanting to do, and it'll be more fun to shoot

My wife was shooting my Tikka SL 30-06 to 832 yards a few weeks ago. No problem holding an moa group with factory ammo.

That being said the magazine length does limit you building off a Tikka. I would trade your rifle for a Tikka with a mag bolt face and build a 7mm SM if I wanted to build off a Tikka.

Jardo

WKR
The 280 AI will match ballistics of a 7mm rem and you have better bullet selection in appropriate weight than 30-06. To get a high bc projectile in 30-06, you gotta get into the 200 grain range and th 30-06 is not suitable imho.

280 AI is a great choice for all around deer size rifle. I’ll be taking mine to Wyoming next week to chase monster Elk on private land and won’t feel terribly undergunned out to 500 yards.

Anything over 500 on bull elk I’m taking a 300 mag with 215 Berger’s, but I agree with your selection on deer size game.

My 280 ai is a stone cold killer inside of 500 yards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

16Bore

WKR
My wife was shooting my Tikka SL 30-06 to 832 yards a few weeks ago. No problem holding an moa group with factory ammo.

That being said the magazine length does limit you building off a Tikka. I would trade your rifle for a Tikka with a mag bolt face and build a 7mm SM if I wanted to build off a Tikka.

What ammo?

I got out of handloading awhile back and have been looking at this stuff. Can’t beat Lapua components and the price is damn near the same as the components alone. It’s M1 compatable....meaning slow, but if it shoots in little knots, I don’t care. I reckon I could always reload it with 155’s on my brothers stuff.

5D59E5FE-B32A-401C-8716-A5315037B829.jpeg

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
He's got a standard bolt face in his tikka so the magnum recommendations on that action for a build are no go. I've got some stock tikkas that I toss ideas around for when it comes time to rebarrel them (IE when the kids roast out the 243win barrel), 6.5x284 is one that crosses my mind as the COAL would work fine for it.

I do have a Tikka M695 280AI but that has a 3.49" COAL allowance which fits the 145LRX I shoot out of that just fine (where as a T3 mag length I'd need to seat it shorter). That thing is a reliable hammer, straight and fast and effective. Forming up or paying for good brass is a little annoying but once I have some boxes of loaded ammo that gun is waiting in the stable ready to smack some critters when called upon.

I'd talk with Mike on his experiences running the 280AI in the factory tikka T3/T3x COAL, may not be much of an issue, I just know I happen to load mine out longer.

The 280 AI idea is sound and I sure like my model 70 Winchester I had built. It has a 24" barrel and the load I am shooting uses IMR7828SSC.
140 gr. Accubonds chronograph at 3186 fps.
140 gr. Partitions chronograph at 3230 fps.

Another idea might be to build a rifle in 6.5-06. It would be a flat shooting screamer of a rifle with lots of good bullets available. Recoil would be slightly less than a 280 AI also.

Rob5589

WKR
I am a huge .284 fan but...

Here are my thoughts, I'm wanting a jack of all trades rifle. Something that is just as comfortable hunting as it is comfortable at the range.
I'm aware that wanting a do-everything rifle will mean sacrifices to a certain degree.
For the hunting, will be general North American game but primarily pigs, deer & coyotes in Alabama.

You have what you desire. Load some ammo and go. If you really just want something new, and there's nothing wrong with that, then the 280ai is a good one.