Tikka 300 Win Mag

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I have a Tikka 300 Win Mag that I like and shoots great. I have a Zeiss 3x12 scope on it now, but want to put something on with more magnification next year. Also thinking about putting a different stock and trigger on it. Like to have a gun that can reach out there further if need be. I have a guy that will work up the loads and get the most out of it. My question is, can this gun can be a gun that I can reach out to 800 yards if need be with the right scope and loads? Being I am looking at putting on a different stock and trigger do I just scrap this gun and get something else?

Yes, scrap the gun, by sending it to me, lol. You my want to change out the bottom metal and mag so you can run longer OAL bullets. So in short, if you can shoot accurately to 800, that rifle with the right scope can do it easy peasy.

Absolutely. I have one topped with a VX6HD and shoots 190 grain Berger’s (that’s what this specific rifle shot the best). No qualms at taking game at that distance from a ballistics perspective. However, from a hunting perspective things have to be very favorable.

There wasn’t the SFP version of the NX8 at the time I set mine up. Otherwise that would have been the scope I’d have gone with.

Just because the rifle is capable, it does not mean that the shooter is (yet). Training with a lightweight magnum takes awhile since the recoil is more pronounced. I know that I have to mix in training with other rifles to give my shoulder a break as it does wear on you.

OP
A

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. I consider myself handy, but no I am not a gun smith. Can I order a new stock that is fit for the gun without any extra work? Can I change out the bottom metal and mag myself, or is this stuff a gun smith needs to do? Debating if I should go from 180 accubond to a 200 grain bullet as well. I plan to use the gun from antelope or moose and anything between.

You want an ACIS compatible bottom metal (they take ACIS mags. You can google it and come up with a few companies that sell them. However, I suggest you go with Accurate Mag ACIS pattern magazines. You do not need to change the stock, unless you want to. The above should fit right into your existing stock. If you know which way to turn a screwdriver, you can do all this yourself. But I advise bedding your action and floating your barrel. Watch several youtube vids on those and decide if you can do that yourself.

OP
A

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
I watched the video and should be able to handle that. Any suggestions on a trigger to put on?

Is your trigger adjustable?
I know what I would recommend but I am drawing a blank at the moment.

OP
A

Aces11

Lil-Rokslider
My trigger is adjustable, but I haven been impressed. I lowered the pressure needed to shoot it and it ended up not hitting the primer hard enough to set the primer off on some shots. I adjusted again so I didn’t have any troubles setting the primer off, but I don’t feel it’s very smooth. Maybe I can mess with it more. In theory should a different trigger be noticeable, or should I try to mess with this one more?

I have a nice trigger on mine. But then I may have worked on it myself when I got, long long ago. Yes, there are better triggers, but not all triggers are good. Trigger Tech if they make one for Tikka, they were supposed to be coming out with one. If not Timney. Others may pipe in. There is a post of customized Tikka's here on Rokslide, use the search feature.

I would go ^^^^that^^^ route before buying a trigger. My memory is vague considering the elapsed time; but I think I changed the trigger spring on mine and polished things up a bit.

Last edited:
I love my T3 in 300 wm. I put a brake on it and a trigger spring from Mountain Tactical. It’s scoped with a Nightforce SHV. I shoot factory Hornady 200 gr Percision Hunter. I’ve shot steel out to 980. I shot my deer at 420 this year. I would feel comfortable out to 600 with perfect conditions on an animal but no further. The gun can shoot 800 but range condtions and field conditions are simply not the same things.

If you want to stretch the legs of a 300 WM, the heavy big bc bullets are the way to go and in a tikka its gonna be harder than other long actions...

If you want to stretch the legs of a 300 WM, the heavy big bc bullets are the way to go and in a tikka its gonna be harder than other long actions...

More difficult, yes.. but if he gets aics bottom metal and can load a little longer, a 200.20x Berger will stabilize in an 11 twist and the associated ballistics at WM velocity are nothing to scoff at.