Tikka 300 Win Mag

Gila

WKR
I had a Tikka T3X in 300 WSM and dumped it to get the 300 Win Mag.

1) The heavies won’t stabile properly in a 1:11” twist Tikka barrel

2) the brass sucks (if you can find it)

3) factory ammo is very limited.

The 30 nosler is the same SAAMI COAL as the 300 win mag: 3.34”

Last edited:
Run it through Berger’s twist calculator and you will find the the 1:11” twist is on the threshold of a dream for the 205gr elite hunter. The reason that Tikka has finally gone to a 1:10” twist on their 300 win mags is because 200 or heavier grain long, sleek, bullets that have a much higher BC will stabilize.

Not disagreeing with you. A lot of factors come into the stability factor working. More so showing they say it will work in a 1:11 (which I find surprising).

Elevation I hunt at that bullet stabilizes…but could be better. Sea level is questionable!

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Do you guys think it’s even worth playing with a 205 in the 300 WSM tikka barrel? I thought about just buying a tikka take off barrel. But I don’t want to waist components. I do live at 5000ft.

Gila

WKR
Do you guys think it’s even worth playing with a 205 in the 300 WSM tikka barrel? I thought about just buying a tikka take off barrel. But I don’t want to waist components. I do live at 5000ft.
You may not be able to get a 205 elite into a Tikka 300 WSM magazine....it is tighter than the the 300 win mag! I noticed that Berger shows 1:11“ Minimum Twist (OR FASTER)

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
If I go that route I was going to run a long action tikka mag.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I should have been a little more detailed. I was going to use the mountain tactical long action mags.

Search for ADG wsm brass, that’s your best bet for keeping that rifle fed with a stout load for awhile. All other brass is short lived and quality leaves some to be desired. Other stuff will work for sure, but I’ve had primer pockets go soft on nosler brass after 2 reloads. Norma may be the next best option other than ADG.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
Search for ADG wsm brass, that’s your best bet for keeping that rifle fed with a stout load for awhile. All other brass is short lived and quality leaves some to be desired. Other stuff will work for sure, but I’ve had primer pockets go soft on nosler brass after 2 reloads. Norma may be the next best option other than ADG.
That’s good to know. I planned on grabbing some Norma, but I will keep an eye out for ADG.

Harvey_NW

WKR
Classified Approved
If you're going through the trouble of yanking a factory barrel to screw something else in, just order a steel prefit in whatever contour and twist rate you want for like $450 from Preferred Barrel Blanks, and move on with life happily shooting the heavies you mentioned into tiny groups. Screwing in a factory tube that marginally fits the parameters you've mentioned is just setting yourself up for lots of frustration and loss of investment.

*edit* - $420 without threads, $500 threaded. My preferred barrel hasn't shot a single group over 1" even clean bore break in shots, and all load development. Best test load shot .25". Well worth it.

Gila

WKR
Tikka’s new (last year) SS 300 win mag barrel with the 1:10” twist is an awesome barrel. It is cold hammer forged and very accurate. Very few production guns have that quality of barrel. For me the solution was simple. Replace the bottom metal and run AICS 3.715” mags. Previously, I didn’t hand load and only shot factory ammo. I’ve owned T3s for 20 years and done a lot of shooting. I have had zero problems with the Tikka polymer magazines.

However, not all AICS magazines are made equal. I have 2 MDT AICS mags and they feed like a dream. Didn’t do anything to the feed lips. I have returned other brands that did not feed worth a tinker’s dam. Having said that, If I twist a custom barrel onto a T3 action it will be a 7mm SAUM. The last few years has altered my perspective as far as hunting rifle cartridges are concerned. Factory ammo has been scarce for the popular hunting calibers. Reloading components command a Vikings ransom if or when available. The availability, selection of firearms is slim pickens as well. When selecting a cartridge to reload in this modern day; one must choose wisely.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I just recently sold a 7 SAUM barrel. Part of my reason for looking into the 300 WSM is the component availability. I cannot find 7 SAUM brass, but I can find 300 WSM brass. I have also noticed 30 cal bullets have consistently been available. Plus there is a bigger variety.

Last edited: