tikka 300 win vs 300 wsm

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Alright rifle guru's, since i haven't owned a 30 cal and especially in a tikka, i'm wondering something here. I'm wanting the better of the 2 to shoot 200 grain accubonds or possibly partition for moose. My question is anyone experience with either of these guns shooting accubonds, if so what velocity, powder, etc? And i'm also thinking that the WSM in tikka might shine cuz i think i would be able to load them longer if they use the same mags? I know someone knows a lot more on this than myself so lets hear it?

elkguide

WKR
Tikkas have a fast twist in their .30 caliber rifles and the heavy for caliber bullets don't always stabilize that well in the Tikka. From my experience (and I admittedly am overly fussy,) I haven't had great MOA or better results with anything over 168 grains in the Tikka .30's.

As to .300 WM vs. .300 WSM...… whichever one floats your boat. I have multiples of each and it depends on the mood I'm in as to which caliber/rifle goes hunting that year.

Jimss

WKR
I really like 300 WSM in Sako Finnlight. Super light weight, doesn't kick, and holds a pattern well. I've harvested everything from sheep to antelope to elk, to mtn goat with the same shell.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
im wanting the 300win to shoot the 200 AB good, anybody have their load data and velocity they are gettting from tikka?

BAKPAKR

WKR
I have been debating the same thing as OP. From what I have read, it sounds like the 1:11 twist will stabilize the 200 gr Accubond. I am leaning towards the 300 WSM and then getting a long action bolt stop and a couple of the Hells Canyon Armory magazines that are made to allow the WSMSAUM lines of cartridges to run with a greater overall length.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I have been debating the same thing as OP. From what I have read, it sounds like the 1:11 twist will stabilize the 200 gr Accubond. I am leaning towards the 300 WSM and then getting a long action bolt stop and a couple of the Hells Canyon Armory magazines that are made to allow the WSMSAUM lines of cartridges to run with a greater overall length.
well i bought the 300 win tikka lite stainless steel just now for 599 plus tax, couldn't pass that up and free shipping.

MTbow

FNG
The magazine length will always hold the 300wm tikka back a little, while you can get longer mags for the WSM from hell’s canyon armory. And as always base your decision on the availability of good brass(for a reloader) or ammunition(for the non loader).

T28w

WKR
The magazine length will always hold the 300wm tikka back a little, while you can get longer mags for the WSM from hell’s canyon armory. And as always base your decision on the availability of good brass(for a reloader) or ammunition(for the non loader).
As someone who has never reloaded, what constitutes good brass and how many times can it be reloaded.
Also are there brass available for 300 wm not available in 300 wsm?

Mosby

WKR
As someone who has never reloaded, what constitutes good brass and how many times can it be reloaded.
I have just about every brand of brass available but if price isn't an issue, I prefer Norma and Lapua brass. They are in better shape when new and easier(less time) to prepare for loading but they cost quite a bit more. That said, I have shot great groups and killed game with all brands of brass.

For my 7-08 and '06 I buy whatever brass is available and on sale. I use, load and take what I have clean and prepped at that time. They are my woods rifles and shots tend to be at short ranges. Accuracy really isn't impacted in any significant way.

I do tend to avoid Remington and Winchester brass lately but would buy it if I couldn't get anything else. They just take more time to prepare and I tend to have to throw away more, after inspection. Some batches can be awful and sometimes its cheaper to spend more money, if that makes sense.

If I don't want to spend the money on Lapua or Norma brass, I look for Nosler or Starline depending on the caliber. I use nothing but Starline in my 45-70.

I have found Hornady to be ok, as a fall back or on sale. Availability on some calibers and brand can vary quite a bit. In my experience Win Mag brass is easier to find with a better selection of brands than WSM. It is normally cheaper as well.

If your not loading hot with a lot of pressure, I use them 3- 5 times but tend to save older brass for the range and use newer brass on hunts. I inspect new and used brass carefully and pitch anything with dents, dings, creases or enlarged primer pockets. I am particular though and its not the place to save money, IMO.

MHWASH

WKR
300WM 6 shot group, 3 200gr AB, 3 200gr ELDx. Velocity is just over 2900. I’ve been contemplating having it rechambered to 300WSM and running the Hell’s Canyon mags. The spent brass has a tendency to stay in the ejection port after firing if I don’t run the bolt fast.

Attachments

• 8EFEDDE5-94E1-43C0-9075-B9896E1B4459.jpeg
    8EFEDDE5-94E1-43C0-9075-B9896E1B4459.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 67

HiMtnHntr

WKR

I reload for the 300 wsm and like nosler brass the best. But I use winny and federal also. You can get many reloads out of your brass, especially if you aren't pushing the envelope on your charges. I have 300 wsm brass on 7-8 trips with no issues.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
300WM 6 shot group, 3 200gr AB, 3 200gr ELDx. Velocity is just over 2900. I’ve been contemplating having it rechambered to 300WSM and running the Hell’s Canyon mags. The spent brass has a tendency to stay in the ejection port after firing if I don’t run the bolt fast.
mhwash, what powder are you running w/the 200's?

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
for anyone following this now or for future reference that was in the same shoes i was and looking for a good starting place....Thanks to mhwash for sharing his info i loaded my new Tikka 300 win close to max charge of ramshot magnum shooting 200 Accubonds right at mag length and it shot 1/2" averaging around 3015 FPS.

brushape

WKR
I went to sportsman’s 100% intent on getting a 300 wsm but after looking at the fully stock ammo selection only having 1 choice for lead free ammo for the wsm and 6 for the win mag I changed my mine. After shooting the 300 win about 12 times I remembered why I shoot a braked 6.5 saum most of the time anyway and haven’t brought it out of the safe again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
I went to sportsman’s 100% intent on getting a 300 wsm but after looking at the fully stock ammo selection only having 1 choice for lead free ammo for the wsm and 6 for the win mag I changed my mine. After shooting the 300 win about 12 times I remembered why I shoot a braked 6.5 saum most of the time anyway and haven’t brought it out of the safe again lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I literally just dropped my barrel off to cut down to 22” and thread for my suppressor. I’ll advise velocity change afterwards for those interested

BjornF16

WKR
Lol I literally just dropped my barrel off to cut down to 22” and thread for my suppressor. I’ll advise velocity change afterwards for those interested

I’m very interested in what you see for velocity loss.

What thread size does 22” allow?

I have a .300wsm tikka and run 180gr accubonds, 3/4 Moa at 2900 fps. I also have a moose bear load with the 200 gr partitions the shoot 1/2 moa at 2850 FPS. Can’t help with the 300wm.