tikka 300 win vs 300 wsm

rootacres

WKR
Alright rifle guru's, since i haven't owned a 30 cal and especially in a tikka, i'm wondering something here. I'm wanting the better of the 2 to shoot 200 grain accubonds or possibly partition for moose. My question is anyone experience with either of these guns shooting accubonds, if so what velocity, powder, etc? And i'm also thinking that the WSM in tikka might shine cuz i think i would be able to load them longer if they use the same mags? I know someone knows a lot more on this than myself so lets hear it?

If you're looking at chucking 200 grainers downrange the 300 WIN is going to lend itself to be slightly better. My dad bought a Tikka for a moose hunt, in 300 Win. He did elect to shoot factory 180 grain barnes ammo.

For what its worth I have a 300 WSM (CA Ridgeline, 24"), shooting 180 grain accubonds at 2952 with 63gr of Hybrid 100V [2.835 COAL]. You should expect somewhere in the 2800-2875 range from what I understand with 200gr pills out of a 300 WSM. I saw load data using 67gr of H4831 with 200gr ELDX at 2882, but he was loading out to 3.04 COAL.

My experience with accubonds is they like to be loaded about .025 off the lands. So without visiting your smith loading the 300 WSM long might pose a challenge in addition to the mag box length. The WSM does mag for a badass hunting package though.

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
update on barrel cutoff, took 2" off tikka and threaded now for my can. Before i was avg about 3015fps w/o can shooting 200 AB's, the loads i had made identical from the previous batch 3 shots w/2" cutoff but with my can added avg 2976 FPS, made 3 new loads w/same data and had a 4 FPS ES and avg'd 2950 FPS, all were right at or touch over 1/2" groups shooting off our patio table thats not stable and having drank a pot of coffee LOL, just figured i'd update anyone following this. This gun i believe will touch every shot off a solid bench, i also bedded the from about 1" in front of recoil lug to the front action screw and also bedded the back action screw, it can be done on the plastic stock just did it to see how it'd turn out.

jt4

WKR
Keep an eye on gunbroker. I got my t3x stainless 30-06 for $600 shipped. It was considered “new old stock”. Essentially an unfired display. I think you’d have a hard time knowing it was even on display.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
J

jruff002

Lil-Rokslider
Where can one find this deal?? Thanks
Go to grab a gun and once you’ve clicked on the gun u like click the grab a quote button but be prepared to buy it if so. It’ll email u a much better price and u have like 24 hours to purchase. Mine listed for 805 before I hit grab a quote

Jfasher

Lil-Rokslider
I have 2 tikkas a 308 and a 300 wm. I have no problem with shooting 180 grain out of either of them. I will say that the 308 isn't picky about what you put through it. The 300 will not shoot accubond long-range