Tikka 300 WSM w/ >200 Grain Bullets

I'm looking to pick up a Tikka this week to hunt with just for this fall and maybe next spring. Afterwards the rifle will be set up to switch barrels and bolts from 223/6 GT/7 WSM. I had a Tikka 7 RM and still have loads for it, but I have to have a gun shipped to a different store or drive a couple hours to get the 7 RM. 300 WSM in stock at the nearest store I have 175 prepped and primed Norma 300 WSM brass on hand, along with bullets and suitable powders. I'd be looking to run either 208 ELD Ms or 215 Bergers, with the 195 ELD M as another option. I will purchase some of HCA's magazines and put an LA bolt stop in the gun.
My questions are:
1. What is the 300 WSM throat like in the factory barrel? Will I be able to take advantage of some of the extra length in the HCA mags?
2. How will the idiot box 1-11" twist handle the 208s and 215s? I've heard a few say it works out.
3. What powders should I be looking at, assuming RL 26 is temporarily unavailable?

I'm looking to pick up a Tikka this week to hunt with just for this fall and maybe next spring. Afterwards the rifle will be set up to switch barrels and bolts from 223/6 GT/7 WSM. I had a Tikka 7 RM and still have loads for it, but I have to have a gun shipped to a different store or drive a couple hours to get the 7 RM. 300 WSM in stock at the nearest store I have 175 prepped and primed Norma 300 WSM brass on hand, along with bullets and suitable powders. I'd be looking to run either 208 ELD Ms or 215 Bergers, with the 195 ELD M as another option. I will purchase some of HCA's magazines and put an LA bolt stop in the gun.
My questions are:
1. What is the 300 WSM throat like in the factory barrel? Will I be able to take advantage of some of the extra length in the HCA mags?
2. How will the idiot box 1-11" twist handle the 208s and 215s? I've heard a few say it works out.
3. What powders should I be looking at, assuming RL 26 is temporarily unavailable?

I can take a measurement to the lands with a factory WSM barrel tomorrow to help you out.

We’ve used 215’s in in 10” with zero issues. I’d run a minimum 24” barrel, 26” would be better. Never used the 11” twist with 200+ pills before so can’t comment there.

To get a rough estimate on your stability try this link from Berger:

Retumbo would be a go-to powder. I’ll be playing with a WSM and N565 here in the near future. Could be a very good combination.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
PathFinder
I can take a measurement to the lands with a factory WSM barrel tomorrow to help you out.

We’ve used 215’s in in 10” with zero issues. I’d run a minimum 24” barrel, 26” would be better. Never used the 11” twist with 200+ pills before so can’t comment there.

Retumbo would be a go-to powder. I’ll be playing with a WSM and N565 here in the near future. Could be a very good combination.

Mike

Awesome, that would be great if you could grab that measurement when you get a chance. Looking at the twist rate calculator, I'm likely to be best off with a 190 HVLD or 195 ELD M. I'd probably lose enough BC that I would't be gaining much with the heavier bullet.

OP
PathFinder
Just curious, do you have a source for the other two bolts or are you going to scavenge other rifles?
Pretty sure I can buy the standard bolt face for the 6 GT. A couple of places have them in stock right now. I'll have to work out where to get a 223 bolt face. The Tikka is nice because it runs the same magazine profile for every caliber group, sourcing mags is a breeze.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
PathFinder
I loaded 212 ELDX In my bros OEM tikka 24” 1:11 twist barrel and it shoots them great. BC seems to be ok out to 700 is as far as we’ve shot that combo thus far.

He’s running 3” AICS mags and still jumping the 212s about 30 thou if I recall correctly so I’d say yes def getcha 1 or 2 HCA mags.

Hope that helps.
Awesome thanks man, that's what I'm looking for. What powder are you using?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

KClark

WKR
Pretty sure I can buy the standard bolt face for the 6 GT. A couple of places have them in stock right now. I'll have to work out where to get a 223 bolt face. The Tikka is nice because it runs the same magazine profile for every caliber group, sourcing mags is a breeze.

Considering nearly the same build myself, 223, 6BRX and 300WSM on my existing 300WSM so I've had an eye out for bolts. MW and Brownells lists them but all sizes were out of stock last I checked.

Mike

I have been thinking this would be a great combo also. I’ve ran 215’s in a 10 twist factory Winchester with RL-26 with good accuracy. 68.4 grains in Frderal brass but I had to back all the way down to 66.3 grains in “better” Norma brass.

I sure wish Petersen, ADG, or Lapua would start making WSM brass. I run Bertram in my 7mm WSM and it’s tough, but nowhere near as consistent as the others listed above. I ordered some Winchester brass, with intentions of sorting it. That stuff is pretty tough, and when sorted probably the best WSM brass out there right now.

I have N565 and 570, and I was curious if 565 would offer better velocity than RL-26. I think I’ll start running 565 in my PRC also... maybe even the 7 WSM. It’s a great powder as long as it stays consistently available!

rustyN

Lil-Rokslider
Considering nearly the same build myself, 223, 6BRX and 300WSM on my existing 300WSM so I've had an eye out for bolts. MW and Brownells lists them but all sizes were out of stock last I checked.

They've never had them any time that I have ever looked, always OOS.