Tikka 300 WSM…What bullet for Elk

Rooggvc

WKR
I was wondering what bullets you guys are running out of a stock Tikka 300 WSM. Looking at hunting elk with this rifle. I really want to shoot Berger but I am open to other options.

B23

WKR
Your factory Tikka 300 WSM will have a 11tw barrel so you won't be able to shoot the Berger 215's which have proven themselves to be an Elk killing machine but Berger's 200.20x is supposed to be a -15gr version of the 215. The 200.20x hasn't been out nearly as long as the 215 so you won't find as much information on them but the info that is out there is favorable for the 200.20x as a killer.

I shot 215’s out of mine and it was fine. I tried those 200’s 210’s and 215 bergers and 208 eldm and 212 eldx. All shot fine from a tikka barrel

I have a Tikka t3 in the 300 WSM that I purchased new in 2005. I've always used Hornady 150gr interlock boat tail for hunting whitetail in the east. Last year I went to Montana on a combo elk / mule deer lic. Given it was my first time hunting elk i wanted a heavier bullet and went with the 180gr Berger Elite Hunter. I also purchased the Berger reloading manual and followed the process for working out a load. Ultimately I worked out a great combo for my rig, but it took a little effort. I first found a charge that worked well with the SAAMI specifications. However with that bullet and rifle the bullet will jump quite a ways before reaching the lands. So I found where the lands were and backed off several tens of thousands until i found the sweet spot. It took some time, but I was able to get groups of 5 shots touching at 100 and 1.5-in at 200yrds. The only problem is that the bullet is so long now that the cartridge will not fit into the magazine. So I have in effect a 1-shot rig. Back to last years Montana trip. All the work was worth it as I dropped a good mule deer in his tracks at 350yrds with 1 shot. While It wasn't an elk, shot placement and confidence in your load far outweighs bullet weight (pun intended) IMO. The Tikka T3 in 300 WSM is more than capable if you put the time into it.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
Do you reload? I reload, but found that mine shoots the crap out of norma bondstrikes, so will use them this year. I've had great luck with barnes 165 handloads out of the rifle also. I lucked out with this one, she shoots about anything.

EddieNel

Lil-Rokslider
I reload for my first bullet to almost touch the lands but will not fit the magazine. So in my pouch the top row are my first shot rounds. The second row are my magazine rounds in case of a follow up shot. The idea is to not need those follow ups.

AKHUNTER

Lil-Rokslider
I've been using a Tikka 300 WSM for about 18 years in AK and have shot most everything AK has to offer with 180 gr Sierra Gamekings and Barnes 180 TSX bullets handloaded with RE19. Both bullets shoot well and perform well on all game up to moose and big brownies. The Sierras group a tab better at less than 1 inch. I have been using the Barnes for my hunting load because it gives some added insurance should I hit a large bone and I won't be eating lead with the Barnes. A 180 grain bullet zipping along at 3,000 fps puts that wack on critters so you can't go wrong with a 180 for elk, says me ;)

BjornF16

WKR
I’ve got a Sako 300 WSM, so a little more short cartridge limited…

Solids:
168 TTSX (essentially an LRX)
175 LRX

My ideal:
208 ELD-M (bit too long for the Sako mag), 11 twist iffy

What I would choose:
168 TMK
175 TMK
178 ELD-M (I would keep MV relatively low or have a close range round on top of mag)
200 ELD-X

Legend

WKR
With a factory throat I would stick to something under 180 grains. Anything bigger is just taking up space for powder. I prefer 168 grain hammers out of mine for elk.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
I plan on swapping components on my tikka to make it a long action. Then I will reload. I was leaning towards a 180 if I run the factory barrel. Berger shows there 205 will stabilize, but I am a little nervous they will be on the ragged edge of stability.

I plan on swapping components on my tikka to make it a long action. Then I will reload. I was leaning towards a 180 if I run the factory barrel. Berger shows there 205 will stabilize, but I am a little nervous they will be on the ragged edge of stability.
They’re not. They stabilize just fine in mine. A multitude of people have used the 215s in a 11 twist with no issues as well.

The problem you’ll run into going over the 205s is they will start to take up powder space. Regardless of what size bolt stop you use or magazine, the throat is only cut so deep. Running 205s is probably the most I’d go with a factory barrel unless you have a smith cut the throat longer.

OP
Rooggvc

Rooggvc

WKR
They’re not. They stabilize just fine in mine. A multitude of people have used the 215s in a 11 twist with no issues as well.

The problem you’ll run into going over the 205s is they will start to take up powder space. Regardless of what size bolt stop you use or magazine, the throat is only cut so deep. Running 205s is probably the most I’d go with a factory barrel unless you have a smith cut the throat longer.
That’s good to know. I feel like the 205 in the WSM would be an awesome combo.

Running 160 hammer hunters in my brothers tikka 300wm with 1:11 barrel. H4350 powder and 3360fps velocity and under 1/2” groups. Not a wsm but that bullet should work well for you as well. Got a buddy with a custom wsm running the 166 hammer bullet with rl26 powder with equally good results.

AkRyan

WKR
I have a Tikka t3 in the 300 WSM that I purchased new in 2005. I've always used Hornady 150gr interlock boat tail for hunting whitetail in the east. Last year I went to Montana on a combo elk / mule deer lic. Given it was my first time hunting elk i wanted a heavier bullet and went with the 180gr Berger Elite Hunter. I also purchased the Berger reloading manual and followed the process for working out a load. Ultimately I worked out a great combo for my rig, but it took a little effort. I first found a charge that worked well with the SAAMI specifications. However with that bullet and rifle the bullet will jump quite a ways before reaching the lands. So I found where the lands were and backed off several tens of thousands until i found the sweet spot. It took some time, but I was able to get groups of 5 shots touching at 100 and 1.5-in at 200yrds. The only problem is that the bullet is so long now that the cartridge will not fit into the magazine. So I have in effect a 1-shot rig. Back to last years Montana trip. All the work was worth it as I dropped a good mule deer in his tracks at 350yrds with 1 shot. While It wasn't an elk, shot placement and confidence in your load far outweighs bullet weight (pun intended) IMO. The Tikka T3 in 300 WSM is more than capable if you put the time into it.
How did you seat bullets out that far with a tikka mag?

AkRyan

WKR
I have shot multiple moose with a 300wsm and 180g accubond has been my choice. I would stay away from anything over 200g in a wsm because they eat up velocity and then you bullet won't perform. Imo I would use a 160g solid over a 200g lead core.

Pasayten

FNG
I like the 180gr Swift A-Frame or Federal Trophy Bonded tip if you can find some. The A-Frames are awesome, but have a lower B.C. I don't mind getting in on them so that doesn't matter much to me. Trophy Bonded Tips are my second favorite.

rootacres

WKR
180 TTSX like that 11 twist tikka barrel

180 accubonds (probably impossible to find)

185 Berger classic hunters

180 Hammers

*Bergers have always worked well for me on elk, Hammers had super easy load development

[Bullet used in the vid were 185 Berger Classic Hunters]